Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
My parents and I live in the two family homestead homes that they built over 100yrs ago. I moved back to the city because of family and the people. I might not like the local politics but I do like this city. The neighborhoods are what make Scranton what it is at heart.
This is exactly what I'm moving there. You just don't get that same close-knit, friendly, wave from the front porch type of atmosphere out here in the suburbs (partially because we don't even HAVE front porches I guess! LOL!) I grew up on Main Street in Inkerman, a very close-knit, tight community where parents would take turns shuttling the neighborhood kids to the movies or mall, have backyard barbecues, walk us all to the ball park, etc. You don't get that know where I live, and I want my children to have that same sort of atmosphere I had for the first nine years of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Smile Moving from Long Island Also!

What the heck is going on with Long Island? Could it be I just got my first 2008 tax bill???I am also on the Island and I am also thinking very seriously about moving to the area....not sure exactly where yet, but I plan on getting out there in a couple of weeks for a weekend and scope things out. I am getting a lot of info from reading all the posts here. Thanks to everyone. My wife and I will be semi-retired when we move. Our plan is to probably both work part time, my wife is in the medical billing/accounting field, so I would like to know about hospitals, nursing homes in the area. I have a daughter that will be in High School, but she is in Special Ed. I would like to find out specifically about the Special Ed areas of the local school districts. I have a son that may or may not move with us...he is going to be a history teacher soon. I need to find out about prospective employment for him. We probably will end up buying a house, but I was wondering if there are any condo (or co-op) developments in the area worth considering. Thanks again for all the useful info. Feel free to email me if you have any good info. Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4jtees4 View Post
What the heck is going on with Long Island? Could it be I just got my first 2008 tax bill???I am also on the Island and I am also thinking very seriously about moving to the area....not sure exactly where yet, but I plan on getting out there in a couple of weeks for a weekend and scope things out. I am getting a lot of info from reading all the posts here. Thanks to everyone. My wife and I will be semi-retired when we move. Our plan is to probably both work part time, my wife is in the medical billing/accounting field, so I would like to know about hospitals, nursing homes in the area. I have a daughter that will be in High School, but she is in Special Ed. I would like to find out specifically about the Special Ed areas of the local school districts. I have a son that may or may not move with us...he is going to be a history teacher soon. I need to find out about prospective employment for him. We probably will end up buying a house, but I was wondering if there are any condo (or co-op) developments in the area worth considering. Thanks again for all the useful info. Feel free to email me if you have any good info. Thanks again!
Hello,

Wow! I don't even know where to start! LOL! Our area's population is aging and graying rather quickly, and nursing homes and hospitals are bending over backwards in search of employees in the medical field. Scranton is home to Community Medical Center (CMC), Mercy Hospital, and Moses-Taylor Hospital. Carbondale is home to Marian Community Hospital. Wilkes-Barre is home to Geisinger/Wyoming Valley Medical Center, Geisinger/South Wilkes-Barre Hospital, and Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. Tunkhannock is home to Tyler Memorial Hospital. Honesdale is home to Wayne Memorial Hospital. East Stroudsburg is home to Pocono Medical Center. Danville is home to Geisinger Hospital. Nursing homes are littered throughout the region. Some of the largest I can think of are Wesley Village in Pittston, River Street Manor in Wilkes-Barre, Little Flower Manor in Wilkes-Barre, Highland Manor in Exeter, Pittston Manor in Pittston, and the John Heinz rehab centers in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, amongst many others. Your wife won't have any trouble finding part-time work in her field here.

I personally don't know much about special educational programs offered in local high schools, but I know many others have had similar inquiries in the past about children with Aspberger's Syndrome, A.D.D., autism, etc., so perhaps doing a search on the forum specifically for schools in NEPA would be useful.

Obtaining a teaching position here can be cutthroat. More often that not in NEPA (especially in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), it's a case of who you know, not what you know, if you catch my drift; nepotism is alive and well. With that being said my sister obtained a teaching position at a local high school, and our family is not politically connected, so I suppose anything is possible. What I can tell you though is that schools in Monroe and Pike Counties (Poconos) are always on the search for new teachers across the board to help cater to the rapidly-growing student population out there. In Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a lot of teachers are graying, so as they near retirement there might be a hiring boom in a few years to replace them.

Condo neighborhoods aren't very popular around here; townhomes are favored by far. There are very few condominium communities I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have any inquiries about townhomes I know of many communities.

Have a great day!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 PM

76 posts, read 261,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4jtees4 View Post
I have a daughter that will be in High School, but she is in Special Ed. I would like to find out specifically about the Special Ed areas of the local school districts.
Hello! I originally hail from your neck of the woods, more or less (I'm not from LI, but my dad was born and bred in Merrick, and my brother and I were born in Manhattan), and I understand why you are considering a move to NEPA.

I am currently in a Master's of Ed. program in the Scranton area, and my professors are always talking both about holes in the area of special education in the area as well as the many people who are striving for (and succeeding at!) making changes and gains.
I think overall the area does not have a stellar rep in regards to special education (although, unfortunately, the same can be said for countless areas in every state). The key is to research schools, because I know there are excellent teachers in the area who believe in advocacy, inclusion and individual attention. A new trend in PA (and a positive one at that!) is requiring general ed teachers in cert and graduate programs to take several special education courses as part of the core curriculum, which I think is vital. This is certainly a positive change.
Depending on which area of NEPA you will be checking out, you could always try to contact a local university's education department/some of their professors of special education (either at East Stroudsburg, Wilkes, Marywood, U of Scranton, etc) and ask for information about various districts in the area in regards to their programs for students with special needs. They will be able to give you current info.

Best of luck with everything, and happy holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania