Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 06:36 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Anonymity empowers valley's worst - Opinion - Citizens' Voice

I don't know who wrote this piece but I wish I could shake their hand. The longer I am in this valley and the more I meet people who are not from here, I realize some of my observations about the population here weren't as far off the mark as I'd thought. There are many grumpy, nasty people in this area. People who can't be bothered to even say hello back to you or return a smile. It should come as no surprise that people respond in such an inappropriate and hateful manner towards something like Valley Santa. I often wonder how many of those commenting call themselves Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Many years ago, I mean many, I was involved in the newspaper business. This was, of course, long before the advent of the internet. The paper was always happy to publish anyone's POV, even when sometimes in direct opposition to the paper's own.

When someone wrote a Letter to the Editor, it had to be signed, with an address and a phone number. The latter two were not published, but were there if the POV was so extreme that an editor decided the writer should be contacted to make sure that the vitriol was, indeed, what the writer intended to say.

It would certainly cut down on some of the bashing that takes place when the bigots can hide behind a screen name. Sometimes, humans can be so disappointing.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:37 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Many years ago, I mean many, I was involved in the newspaper business. This was, of course, long before the advent of the internet.
Actually, the Internet has been around for a very long time...not as long as newspapers but longer than most everyone thinks...it's only since the early 90's until now that it's become as popular as it is today...

History of the Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Default anonymity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Anonymity empowers valley's worst - Opinion - Citizens' Voice

I don't know who wrote this piece but I wish I could shake their hand. The longer I am in this valley and the more I meet people who are not from here, I realize some of my observations about the population here weren't as far off the mark as I'd thought. There are many grumpy, nasty people in this area. People who can't be bothered to even say hello back to you or return a smile. It should come as no surprise that people respond in such an inappropriate and hateful manner towards something like Valley Santa. I often wonder how many of those commenting call themselves Christian.
I would guess that many of those nasty posters are regular churchgoers---having met quite a few of them before and after mass---some of them even teach chrisianity to young ones

Old 11-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It would certainly cut down on some of the bashing that takes place when the bigots can hide behind a screen name. Sometimes, humans can be so disappointing.
Just noticing that now?? Been that way since humans learned how easy it is to do that via electronic means...

Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:
Many years ago, I mean many, I was involved in the newspaper business. This was, of course, long before the advent of the internet. The paper was always happy to publish anyone's POV, even when sometimes in direct opposition to the paper's own.

When someone wrote a Letter to the Editor, it had to be signed, with an address and a phone number. The latter two were not published, but were there if the POV was so extreme that an editor decided the writer should be contacted to make sure that the vitriol was, indeed, what the writer intended to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Just noticing that now?? Been that way since humans learned how easy it is to do that via electronic means...
Please explain what you mean by "just noticing that now??" What is the "that" that you think I'm "just noticing"? And what is it that makes you think I never noticed "that" (whatever it is) before?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Please explain what you mean by "just noticing that now??" What is the "that" that you think I'm "just noticing"? And what is it that makes you think I never noticed "that" (whatever it is) before?
what you said:

"It would certainly cut down on some of the bashing that takes place when the bigots can hide behind a screen name. Sometimes, humans can be so disappointing."

nothing new on the 'Net...

Old 11-30-2013, 09:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
The paper was always happy to publish anyone's POV, even when sometimes in direct opposition to the paper's own.
I've given up writing letters to the CV, I've written plenty of them and they are rarely published. My guess is they are well thought out with a conservative point of view so they don't publish them. They certainly find plenty of space to publish letters from that religious nut bag in California...

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 PM

104 posts, read 190,040 times
I'm not sure how this could be construed as a reflection on the people in any particular area. People in general tend to behave in horrible ways online when they can hide behind their screens. You'll find the same type of nastiness on every news site in the country.

CNN has some of the most vicious trolls I've ever seen, even with multiple paid moderators working around the clock. It's no wonder that so many sites are shutting down comments.

Why We're Shutting Off Our Comments | Popular Science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania