Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 AM

36 posts, read 40,273 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I moved to The poconos in September from NYC. I love it out here and enjoy every minute of it. When I first moved out here, the kids were fascinated by all the deer running around in our backyard. I saw tons of deer kill on the side of the road and wonder what happens to all the meat. I put it out my mind. So, I spoke to a co worker of mine and she says she eats the venison. She said that one winter they hit hard times and they pick up a deer, processed it and had food for the winter. So, immediately I was wow. Cool, I could do that. I'm not afraid of blood and guts, plus, the meat I don't want I can feed to my pets. So now that I said that, I have not seen a deer roadkill in like forever. It's funny, ironic actually. Buying venison in the supermarkets is expensive. Is there a way to get a recently killed deer if you're not on the highway or road to see it be killed or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,964,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn86 View Post
Hello everyone,

I moved to The poconos in September from NYC. I love it out here and enjoy every minute of it. When I first moved out here, the kids were fascinated by all the deer running around in our backyard. I saw tons of deer kill on the side of the road and wonder what happens to all the meat. I put it out my mind. So, I spoke to a co worker of mine and she says she eats the venison. She said that one winter they hit hard times and they pick up a deer, processed it and had food for the winter. So, immediately I was wow. Cool, I could do that. I'm not afraid of blood and guts, plus, the meat I don't want I can feed to my pets. So now that I said that, I have not seen a deer roadkill in like forever. It's funny, ironic actually. Buying venison in the supermarkets is expensive. Is there a way to get a recently killed deer if you're not on the highway or road to see it be killed or something?
With hunting season starting more deer will be chased onto our busy roads. Probably, if you traveled our Interstates, you would see them more frequently. But seeing dead dear is not finding the right road kill. If you do not see the deer getting hit; you might not know how long it has been dead. You also don't know if the vehicle ran over and ruptured the stomach. The stench from a ruptured stomach will permeate all of the meat. The ideal road kill would be one that you witnessed, somebody else hit the animal and it did no damage to your vehicle, and the animal was hit in the head.

According to our GC "Anyone who claims a highway-killed deer must apply to the Game Commission for a free permit within 24 hours from the time the deer is claimed." To do so; all you have to do is call their office. I think that they want you to take the whole carcass? I don't think they want you to just cut off the hind quarters - but I could be wrong.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With hunting season starting more deer will be chased onto our busy roads. Probably, if you traveled our Interstates, you would see them more frequently. But seeing dead dear is not finding the right road kill. If you do not see the deer getting hit; you might not know how long it has been dead. You also don't know if the vehicle ran over and ruptured the stomach. The stench from a ruptured stomach will permeate all of the meat. The ideal road kill would be one that you witnessed, somebody else hit the animal and it did no damage to your vehicle, and the animal was hit in the head.

According to our GC "Anyone who claims a highway-killed deer must apply to the Game Commission for a free permit within 24 hours from the time the deer is claimed." To do so; all you have to do is call their office. I think that they want you to take the whole carcass? I don't think they want you to just cut off the hind quarters - but I could be wrong.

Oh okay. What are the processing butcher shops that are out here. I think all the deer are gone. I haven't seen any deer since the start of the hunting season. I saw one deer and then it was gone.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,625,179 times
Find a place that does "deer cutting." You get quite a bit of meat from one deer, I'm sure something can be worked out with a local hunter. Deer meat can be a little gamey but is great in stews.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Oh okay. What are the processing butcher shops that are out here. I think all the deer are gone. I haven't seen any deer since the start of the hunting season. I saw one deer and then it was gone.
The deer are not gone. They simply find hiding places when the lead starts flying. Would you stand around? There are always some left after the seasons are finally over.

Many hunters would simply give you some deer meat to try. However; there are not as many hunters as in the past and economics might make the ones remaining 'tighter' with their freebies. I would volunteer some meat if you lived close and had I not given up hunting eight years ago.

To many deer meat is too gamey or tough. Your experience can vary depending on the deer, butchering and the chef. Deer is extremely lean meat. To make hamburger many butchers will add 50% pork for the fat content. Some processors will partially freeze venison roast and then thinly slice the meat. The thin sliced venison makes great steak sandwiches and looses some of the gamey flavor.

Going back to road kill; my area is infested with deer. Maybe not as many as twenty years ago? But it is not uncommon to have to stop for them to cross. I drove twenty years and did not hit one deer. Then, in one year, I hit three. They ran out of nowhere into my vehicle. Fortunately; it was an old, sturdy, Ford truck and did very little damage. The point I am trying to make is: Just when you don't think you will ever see one or hit one; they are there. One thing you do learn is not to watch the deer that crosses the road in front of you. Always slow down and watch out for the deer that follow those that did cross the road. The one you don't see is the one that you will hit.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Find a place that does "deer cutting." You get quite a bit of meat from one deer, I'm sure something can be worked out with a local hunter. Deer meat can be a little gamey but is great in stews.
The actual meat (without bone) on our average deer is only about twelve quarts. That is; if I remember correctly. Most of our deer only weigh 90 to 100 pounds hog dressed. You take away the skin, bone and the little fat and it doesn't leave a lot left. That does not mean that there are not larger deer.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The actual meat (without bone) on our average deer is only about twelve quarts. That is; if I remember correctly. Most of our deer only weigh 90 to 100 pounds hog dressed. You take away the skin, bone and the little fat and it doesn't leave a lot left. That does not mean that there are not larger deer.
I live in Long Pond and when I first moved out here. I mean the deer were sleeping on my lawn. After a while, you see them dead on the side of I-80 and route 940. One day my daughter said, mommy there are a lot of dead deer on the road and that's on her way to school. It's incredible.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I live in Long Pond and when I first moved out here. I mean the deer were sleeping on my lawn. After a while, you see them dead on the side of I-80 and route 940. One day my daughter said, mommy there are a lot of dead deer on the road and that's on her way to school. It's incredible.
Coyotes scare deer into our roads. Deer fear these creatures more than humans - even humans with guns. Evolution taught them to fear. When the coyotes first move into any area; road kills go up. Years ago, before coyotes, you could see dozens of deer peacefully eating along side our highways. Once the coyotes came the deer just run out in front of you.

By the way; we are probably only ten miles fro each other. I can hear the races from our house. Long Pond used to be loaded with deer and yes; there numbers have been diminished.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Coyotes scare deer into our roads. Deer fear these creatures more than humans - even humans with guns. Evolution taught them to fear. When the coyotes first move into any area; road kills go up. Years ago, before coyotes, you could see dozens of deer peacefully eating along side our highways. Once the coyotes came the deer just run out in front of you.

By the way; we are probably only ten miles fro each other. I can hear the races from our house. Long Pond used to be loaded with deer and yes; there numbers have been diminished.
I haven't seen any coyotes over here. I think I saw a bobcat and a couple of foxes.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 AM

811 posts, read 1,380,189 times
Also consider contacting the game commission and asking about the Hunters Care program. Hunters donate meat and $$ to this program. I don't know what the criteria is, if any, to receive anything from it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm a hunter and haven't had any luck yet. We love venison, and with marinating it, it never has a "gamey" taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania