Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times

Advertisements

Then my answer is no, i would not buy a home in Scranton for 1 million dollars. For me to throw down that kind of scratch I would need three fundamentle things I don't think Scranton can provide for me.

1) copious amounts of land. At least a 15 acre property.
2) wooded and mountanous views.
3) potential appreciation in value.

Bottom line for me is I really like Scranton, and i would definitly buy a home in Green Ridge, Upper Hill or maybe East Mtn area. I would feel comfrtable spending 300k so long as the price was adaquate for what I was getting.

that all being said, Clarks Summit or Waverly or parts of Dalton are the Only places I will look at when I return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM

910 posts, read 2,992,889 times
None on scranton mls, only in outskirt cities..

Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Right. I'm just curious to know if there's a house (or houses) in the city that could realistically sell for a million dollars. I mean, I could put my house on the market, supposed Doherty flag and all , for seven figures and call it a million dollar home. In the real world, it's a nondescript 5 figure home. Are there any legitimate 7 figure homes in Scranton, in which a million bucks changing hands could be considered fair by both parties? The assessors database on the Lackawanna County site doesn't appear to be searchable by appraised value, not that it's likely very accurate.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
........ If not Scranton then where in NEPA would be worth dropping that kind of money? Remember that the poster was from a completely different part of the country and is not even remotely familiar with our area or our culture, so be honest and lets keep it civil.
The super-sweet poster/troll would possibly feel at home in Glenmaura, but for the life of me, nothing I've seen there is worth that kind of $$. I agree some of the grand older homes near Marywood/CMC - Moses Taylor/U might go for that, or close, or out in Waverly, and definitely with acreage.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Glenmaura has one listed for $3.9 mil

Single Family Home - Glenmaura, Moosic, PA, 18507 - Realtor.com

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

173 posts, read 582,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
also lets take into account that they indicated that they were single and 32 yrs old.
What does being single and 32 have to do with buying a million dollar home? Are you saying someone single and 32 doesn't need a million dollar home? If thats the case i would argue that NO ONE needs a million dollar home...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Absolutely Not would I plunk down that much spare change even if I had it. I wouldn't pay that much anywhere in America. When I see the prices in California and Las Vegas I get sick thinking about all those sorry house poor people you see on HGTV trying to dump off their overpriced homes. Can you say Foreclosure?

That's the reason why I bought a house in the valley, the prices here still make sense in relation to the economy.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
When Paul gets here he'll be able to get the info on the house in Greenridge that was on the market for 1 million+. If we can search the threads maybe we can find it ourselves but he will definitely know.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:26 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Here is his post on the house. Its all I could find.

Quote:
SWB
"By the way, Daniel, people will be willing to pay prices that the housing market is willing to bear. For example, a home listed at over $1.6 million dollars in Green Ridge was recently removed from the online search listings, indicating that it is already under contract. Housing prices in Scranton have been trending upward in recent years; if you're so miserable living in Lower Green Ridge, then why don't you and your mother sell your homes for their appreciated values and then buy one larger home and/or duplex in Dunmore, where you could have part of the home and your parents could share the other as an "in-law suite" of sorts so you can keep an eye on them as they age and need around-the-clock care in the upcoming years? You are visibly unhappy living in Scranton by all of your messages; selling two city homes in Scranton for about $100,000 a pop will give you $200,000 to pump into a larger home in Dunmore, where you think you might be happier.

Why continue to live on in misery? I'm unhappy living here in Pittston, and I know I'd be much, much happier living in either Hyde Park or the Lower Hill. This is why I plan to buy a fixer-upper in one of these two areas and rehab a home into my own true showplace. If I'm going to make a move to a "greener pasture," then why don't you do the same? Dunmore is only what---a mile-and-a-half or so from your home? It won't be that large of an adjustment for your family.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
I'm not sure what "under contract" means. Is that like sale pending?

I'd be curious to know if the house actually sold for $1.6M, if it in fact sold. Like I said, any home can list for over a million, but would it really end up selling for that price? I sold my moms house a few years ago for not nearly what I listed it at, just because a) I didn't need it, b) didn't want it, and 3) had it on the market for nearly a year without any offers and just wanted it off my hands. Thanks for digging up that post, though.

To that Glenmaura home, the Brady Bunch (all 6 kids, two parents, a maid, and cousin Oliver) all seemed to make do with maybe two bathrooms (we never really saw if Alice had her own throne). How big is the single family that needs seven baths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania