Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 PM

20 posts, read 46,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
We've been following your apartment quest since last January and I for one am happy that you've finally settled on a place. Perhaps you can share with us why you chose this particular apartment and what amenities it offered? For instance, does it have a garage or covered parking, which was one of your top priorities? Is it in a dedicated apartment building or in a converted older house? Does it have the following: washer/dryer or hookups; central air conditioning; hardwood floors; dishwasher; window treatments; adequate electrical, cable and telephone outlets; soundproofing? What utilities are included and does the landlord supply heat and hot water? If the latter is not included, it could cost you a bundle especially in an older building with poor insulation.

Good luck with your sojourn in NEPA.
Without giving away too much detail (I've learned very quickly that everybody knows everybody up here, and while I don't doubt your curiosity is innocent, I don't want to take the chance that some psycho could use all of that information to track me down), I'll start by saying that my core frustration with the Wilkes-Barre apartment rental market was the fact that 95% of available properties were either located in pricey, but mediocre, complexes and cheap, but horrendously shoddy and out-dated, walk-ups.

I was only a day or two away from signing a lease with an expensive suburban complex that was charging about $150 a month more than seem justified. The management seemed nice and flexible, and I could have managed to afford it. That said, I pounced when a landlord returned my call after two weeks of radio silence and gave me the opportunity to check out a nice walk-up in downtown Wilkes-Barre for $200 less. The apartment was bigger (and all things considered, nicer), the in-unit amenities were similar, and the landlord seemed equally (if not more) kind and fair, so I realized very quickly that this was the building for me. Utilities are not included (though cable and internet is thrown in at a mere $25 a month), but based on copies of the utility bills I saw, they shouldn't average much more than $150 a month. All in all, I'll be saving a little under $200 a month, which will add up over the course of my 1-1.5 year stay. The best part of all is that relative to the suburban complex, my savings will be coupled with lots of pros and relatively few cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
WB Bound, you're a master of "verbiage," but I respect your privacy and will henceforth stifle my curiosity.

But do keep us informed as you acclimate to your new surroundings.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
WB Bound, you're a master of "verbiage," but I respect your privacy and will henceforth stifle my curiosity.
I don't know if that's intended as a compliment or a good-natured ribbing (though I hope my answer was at least somewhat illuminating for you). Either way, I'll take it.

Quote:
But do keep us informed as you acclimate to your new surroundings.
I definitely will!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I wish you well, WB-Bound. I personally think Downtown Wilkes-Barre is just fine from a residential standpoint, and it would be ideal to live within walking distance of the farmers' market, YMCA, library, F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, galleries, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Katana, Bart & Urby's, Rodano's, Kirby Park, Barnes & Noble, Cinema 14, Boscov's, the River Commons, King's College, Wilkes University, the County Courthouse, etc. A lot of people on here unjustly naysay Wilkes-Barre because it has a disproportionately high impoverished African-American population compared to the rest of the metro area, but other than a few trouble spots (like immediately near Sherman Hills) the majority of the city is just fine. The people? Well, I'm glad Magritte25 has found so many progressive, idealistic, liberal, and educated people in the city in her inner circle, but I had great trouble finding like-minded people while living in Luzerne County.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-15-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wish you well, WB-Bound. I personally think Downtown Wilkes-Barre is just fine from a residential standpoint, and it would be ideal to live within walking distance of the farmers' market, YMCA, library, F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, galleries, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Katana, Bart & Urby's, Rodano's, Kirby Park, Barnes & Noble, Cinema 14, Boscov's, the River Commons, King's College, Wilkes University, the County Courthouse, etc. A lot of people on here unjustly naysay Wilkes-Barre because it has a disproportionately high impoverished African-American population compared to the rest of the metro area, but other than a few trouble spots (like immediately near Sherman Hills) the majority of the city is just fine. The people? Well, I'm glad Magritte25 has found so many progressive, idealistic, liberal, and educated people in the city in her inner circle, but I had great trouble finding like-minded people while living in Luzerne County.
Thanks for the well-wishes!

I definitely appreciate the fact that I'll be walking-distance from some attractions. Even if the crime rate in Wilkes-Barre proper is a bit higher than surrounding areas, it's not all that bad as a whole (and from the looks of things, seems to be steadily decreasing). I've felt completely at ease living in significantly "more dangerous" (and more African American) areas, so I don't anticipate safety will be much of an issue. A little common sense goes a long way.

Between work, affinity/interest groups, and other incidental ties I have to the region through other people, I should be able to find some friends. They don't all have to be progressive, idealistic, liberal, and educated--so long as they're interesting. I seem to have a knack for befriending interesting people, or maybe they have a knack for befriending me.

Homeless people don't usually freak me out, though the occasional super-aggressive panhandler has given me the heebie jeebies. While it sounds like the city is taking care of the problem, if that isn't actually the case, I'll just avoid Kirby Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania