Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 35,239 times

Advertisements

my mother in laws community regulates how high your grass is, you get notices if any of it isnt uber green, you can only buy the fence or home additions they approve after they say you can at a meeting vote. then permit. i left my project car in her driveway for a weekend and they got basically hate mail about it. i like to do what i feel if i want a junk car in my driveway then i paid for my house im gonna do it. if i want a privacy fence for my yard then thats what im puting up. i didnt work my ass off to save for a house of my own to do what i want with it only to have to do it someone elses way. it doesnt work like that for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy367 View Post
my mother in laws community regulates how high your grass is, you get notices if any of it isnt uber green, you can only buy the fence or home additions they approve after they say you can at a meeting vote. then permit. i left my project car in her driveway for a weekend and they got basically hate mail about it. i like to do what i feel if i want a junk car in my driveway then i paid for my house im gonna do it. if i want a privacy fence for my yard then thats what im puting up. i didnt work my ass off to save for a house of my own to do what i want with it only to have to do it someone elses way. it doesnt work like that for me.
Don -
You would fit in perfect here in Shohola....

I didn't ignore your email. I was leaving it for hubby to respond to since it's fd related and he can just go on forever about that subject...lol...

BTW...hubby's old fd did about 200 calls per year. Out here it's probably half that if not less. I'll have to ask next time I see one of the guys.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,933 times
Quote:
I can agree with you flyboy about being upset with your familys hate mail for leaving a project car in her driveway. Some times the community rules can be a little extreme. But the thing is, these rules are there to protect every homeowner including you mother-inlaw. If you don't want to deal with these just buy outside of an Association. Beware though your neighbors can do what they like and it may not be pleasant for you. People we know bought a home and shortly afterwards their neighbors started a landscape businness out of their house. Workers were showing up at 5am , making noise loading equipment and returning after dark making noise late into the evening.There was unslightly equpiment all over their property. They approached the neighbors and the response was we paid for this property and we will do what we please. A trip to the local government was no help. Point is community rules would have prevented this. Now they plan to seel but it could be difficult as possible buyers will notice this anoyance also. So keep this in mind and really do your research. Some communitys basically let you do what you want as long as its not visable from the street such as working on your car behind the house or in the garage. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times
GOod post JJJ. I agree.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM

jjj i see your point. most ones that i have delt with are way to extreme. like my buddy wants to add ascreen door to his house and its been going on almost a year with association meetings for him to get approved. he had to pay for the submission of approval and if he gets approved he has to buy a permit and then the door of the associations choosing. i find that way to stupid. my wifes friend moved into a neighborhood and kept reciving fines because she had a ewok looking dog i forget the breed but its tiny and the association had a ruling about pets. they didnt approve of the dog yet she had it for a few years before she moved in.

im looking for a house in the trees. my friend bought rents a house in a neighborhood thats mixed association and non. he is a car collector. his messes are kept in his garage and he has 3 other cars in his driveway all registered and insured. one day he leaves his hood up on the street to go get some wiper fluid and comes back out to 2 cops writing him a ticket for repairing a car on the street. from then on he got summons for his cars for to many vehicals on a property, possible buisness, all bs stuff that kept taking his money in fines and court fees until he sold off all his classics and moved.

my sister in laws sister had a birthday party for her 5 year old. aparently somewhere in the rule book that was illegal. she had a moon jumper in her yard, people parked on the street mindful of the neighbors and it was relitivly quiet for a bunch of 5 yr olds. next thing you know peoples cars are being towed and she got a $2000 fine. i just dont buy into this stuff. if i want to live like a hick or have a good time i will, i respect my neighbors too.
i grew up in a non association town. still looks as good now as it did then. no bs from anyone. the big to do is if someone is making an addition or adding a pool gazebo etc they send a note to thier neighbor. you can object but its a majority rule.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Don...you DEFINITELY have to come up this way...the more I read your posts, the more I see how well you would fit in. No one bothers anyone around here about how many cars you have or what you're doing with them. That was one of the other things hubby liked. We want to build a garage in the next couple of years on our property. Occasionally, hubby will help out a friend or family or neighbor and fix their vehicle. No questions around here about what we're doing or why. There are 2, yes I said 2 as in TWO, cops in this town. (Shohola AKA Mayberry) I met one of them once briefly. Haven't seen hide nor hair of either one of them since and that's since April.

Hubby said FD up here has about 175 calls per year between fire AND ems.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,933 times
Quote:
jjj i see your point. most ones that i have delt with are way to extreme. like my buddy wants to add ascreen door to his house and its been going on almost a year with association meetings for him to get approved. he had to pay for the submission of approval and if he gets approved he has to buy a permit and then the door of the associations choosing. i find that way to stupid. my wifes friend moved into a neighborhood and kept reciving fines because she had a ewok looking dog i forget the breed but its tiny and the association had a ruling about pets. they didnt approve of the dog yet she had it for a few years before she moved in.

im looking for a house in the trees. my friend bought rents a house in a neighborhood thats mixed association and non. he is a car collector. his messes are kept in his garage and he has 3 other cars in his driveway all registered and insured. one day he leaves his hood up on the street to go get some wiper fluid and comes back out to 2 cops writing him a ticket for repairing a car on the street. from then on he got summons for his cars for to many vehicals on a property, possible buisness, all bs stuff that kept taking his money in fines and court fees until he sold off all his classics and moved.

my sister in laws sister had a birthday party for her 5 year old. aparently somewhere in the rule book that was illegal. she had a moon jumper in her yard, people parked on the street mindful of the neighbors and it was relitivly quiet for a bunch of 5 yr olds. next thing you know peoples cars are being towed and she got a $2000 fine. i just dont buy into this stuff. if i want to live like a hick or have a good time i will, i respect my neighbors too.
i grew up in a non association town. still looks as good now as it did then. no bs from anyone. the big to do is if someone is making an addition or adding a pool gazebo etc they send a note to thier neighbor. you can object but its a majority rule.
Yes ...way to many restrictions. I wonder why theses people moved in and broke the association rules anyway. They should have known eventually somebody would try to uphold the regulations. Some of the rules are a bit mutch. Even house colors are restricted in many associations. Best thing to do is get 5 acres and stay away from deed restricted communities. Also check local township rules. Some towns prohibit such things as parking tractor trailer, boats and rv's on your property. Some also prohibit certain types of home businesses.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM

well as far as breaking rules, picture finally getting enough money to move into your own house, then getting a huge book with regulations. are you going to read it. i know i dont. as far as my friend in the mixed area. he worked his butt off and has a great job. he wanted to finnaly get the things he dreamed of. he was non-association and yet they had to persicute him because he wasnt a cleaver cookie cutter on wisteria lane. my current apartment has regualtions on window a/c, holiday lights and decorations and all. no one follows them. if i see something unsafe i say something but other then that we all get along nice. and thats singles families of all race and creed.

i understand rules to keep people safe. im a fireman so i take them very well to hart. but to tell people how to keep thier home to me is just another form of racism.

ff18wife
perhaps when the time comes to take a ride we can meet up for dinner. i mean your family and mine. great to have some locals to show us around. 200 calls including ems is crasy. december so far department wide is at 45 calls. 18 are just my company. but i guess comfot living over call volume is nicer.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
ff18wife
perhaps when the time comes to take a ride we can meet up for dinner. i mean your family and mine. great to have some locals to show us around. 200 calls including ems is crasy. december so far department wide is at 45 calls. 18 are just my company. but i guess comfot living over call volume is nicer.
You would be suffering from serious "call" withdrawl as is my husband. He's even started going out on EMS calls. He was an EMT in NJ but his certs lapsed so the skills are there just not the paperwork. He drives the rigs now.

One of the things that we miss is that in NJ the fd people considered each other family. We still do. We have friends from the NJ fd who come out for parties and spend the day. Out here they're not like that from what I've seen so far but hey, that can be changed too...it might just take some time.

We'll chat about meeting up via email. Have to remind hubby to respond. He did a 9a to 12a day yesterday between work & commuting. I don' think he was much up to answering emails by the time he ate dinner and sat down to relax...

Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 PM

what about tafton? how far is that from the bus to nyc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania