Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Generally Content Living in NEPA?
I am a native of NEPA, and I am content living here. 13 21.67%
I am a native of NEPA, and I am not content living here. 4 6.67%
I am a transplant to NEPA, and I am content living here. 13 21.67%
I am a transplant to NEPA, and I am not content living here. 11 18.33%
I am a native of NEPA who moved away and wishes to move back. 4 6.67%
I have never lived in NEPA, but I am pondering moving here. 12 20.00%
I have never lived in NEPA, and I am not pondering moving here. 3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't like it yet, maybe it will grown on me. But if I had my choice, I'd be back in Lehigh Valley suburbia.

The main reasons:

1) Schools, they leave much to be desired.
2) The landscape to me is depressing, I'm more of a rolling farmland kind of person.
3) Most, but not all of the cities and towns have a very depressing feel to them.
4) Job market is mediocre at best.
5) Politics are odd, why Skrep was re-elected is a mystery to me.

I am here for at least 3 more years, so we will see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Feel free, everyone, to provide us with your comments and opinions as well. I'm admittedly biased in liking NEPA, but you won't be attacked or victimized if you provide us with reasons for wanting to leave. Similarly, if you want to pick up the pom-poms with me and annoy the hell out of everyone, feel free to join me as well!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I don't know exactly how much snow, but enough to cover the entire lawn, and the road.

It was beautiful this morning, and still no plowing.

I will go to Scranton when the weather gets better. I love the Philharmonic, and I am an urban person by temperament, but a rural person by nature. A contradiction that suits me.

And yes we have a huge artist group here in the surrounding communities (Narrowsburg, for sure, but elsewhere, too). It's also interesting how the NYS flavour melds with the PA feel.

If time permits I'll take some pictures of this area. I haven't found my battery charger yet.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Honestly, I don't like it yet, maybe it will grown on me. But if I had my choice, I'd be back in Lehigh Valley suburbia.

The main reasons:

1) Schools, they leave much to be desired.
2) The landscape to me is depressing, I'm more of a rolling farmland kind of person.
3) Most, but not all of the cities and towns have a very depressing feel to them.
4) Job market is mediocre at best.
5) Politics are odd, why Skrep was re-elected is a mystery to me.

I am here for at least 3 more years, so we will see what happens.
Even though I enjoy living here, I do agree with four out of your five observations. As far as #1 is concerned, I feel as if our private schools like Wyoming Seminary, Scranton Prep, MMI Prep, etc. are outstanding. Some of the suburban school districts (Abington Heights, Dallas, Crestwood, North Pocono, for example) are ranked amongst the best in the state, even though there is still some question as to whether the relatively high rankings arise from gifted teachers or sheerly because students in these districts hail from generally upper-middle-class families. I will agree with you though that many of our local school district placed an enormous emphasis upon football, football, and...ummm...football, and very little else, while cutting funding for programs for the gifted and the arts (I have seen this from experience as a recent product of a local school district).

As far as #2 is concerned, I only half-agree with you. If you want to see some truly beautiful landscapes here in NEPA, just venture further out from the SWB metroplex. One of the most relaxing drives I've ever taken was aimlessly getting myself lost driving around Damascus Township in Northern Wayne County (north of Honesdale). I drove down windy, narrow roads that had verdant meadows, rolling farmlands, and herds of livestock. I also like driving up Suscon Road all the way from Dupont to Thornhurst, stopping along the way at Meadow Mountain Lake and to hike along the Pinchot Trail System. Ricketts Glen State Park is absolutely gorgeous in the spring time with its beautiful waterfalls. Even Nay Aug Park in the urban mecca that is Scranton has some beautiful natural scenery along its eastern periphery that can be seen from the Davis Trail and the new treehouse. During Fall drive Route 6 from Tunkhannock westward and just keep on going until you hit the PA Grand Canyon just west of Wellsboro. The scenery is breathtaking.

#3: With the exception of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, both of which I feel are on the upswing, I'll agree that Pittston, Nanticoke, Ashley, Plymouth, Edwardsville, etc. have a very run-down, neglected, and depressed appearance to them. It seems as if nearly everyone that lives in these towns has given up hope, and it can be reflected with the poor quality of a lot of the housing stock in those communities---people don't maintain properties very well when they lack civic pride.

#4: Agreed. I'm hoping Wall Street West continues to come to fruition to bring more high-paying career opportunities to NEPA. So far three firms have committed themselves to Downtown Scranton with more on the way (Seccas, Merrill Lynch, and SRA). I hope more move to Luzerne County as well (perhaps to CenterPoint or better yet Downtown Wilkes-Barre).

#5: I think I love you! (In a totally heterosexual way of course). Every other person I meet practically grovels at Skrepenak's feet, but I find this man to be very unfit and unqualified to run a county government. I love how he conveniently waited to tell everyone about the county's severe financial straits until just after he was re-elected; I'm sure a lot of people who voted for him are now kicking themselves. MaryAnne Petrilla, on the other hand, seems to be a much better candidate.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I don't know exactly how much snow, but enough to cover the entire lawn, and the road.

It was beautiful this morning, and still no plowing.

I will go to Scranton when the weather gets better. I love the Philharmonic, and I am an urban person by temperament, but a rural person by nature. A contradiction that suits me.

And yes we have a huge artist group here in the surrounding communities (Narrowsburg, for sure, but elsewhere, too). It's also interesting how the NYS flavour melds with the PA feel.

If time permits I'll take some pictures of this area. I haven't found my battery charger yet.
Just be glad you weren't here for Valentine's Day when our area was crippled for nearly a week, and some motorists were trapped on I-81 for more than a day! Schools were closed for three days, and most employers didn't expect their employees to report on time (if at all). The snow might look pretty, but PennDOT leaves much to be desired when it comes to clearing our roadways (they seem to be far too overextended). Of course if you're sitting by the fireplace watching it fall on the landscape outside your window while sipping hot cocoa that could be a much different story.

It's good that you like the Philharmonic because the NEPA Philharmonic is wonderful, in my humble opinion. I only see them perform during their free annual Fourth of July concerts at Kirby Park or PNC Field (Yankees Stadium), as I'm on a student budget, but I can only imagine how much better they must be playing at the Scranton Cultural Center or F.M. Kirby Center with better acoustics. The only downside is that they seem to have a revolving door for conductors---Lawrence Loh is the current director, and he came here I believe from Vancouver last year. As much as some people whine and gripe about hating Scranton, without its museums, malls, concerts, off-Broadway shows, Philharmonic, etc., this entire region would be largely a cultural wasteland. Wilkes-Barre has a growing arts scene as well that should be noted; I'm especially excited over the pending transformation of the old Irem Temple downtown into an artists' colony near the new riverfront. Wilkes-Barre is often overshadowed though because it has 30,000 fewer residents than Scranton.

I think you and I are somewhat alike actually. I can't wait to be living in the city to be able to walk to restaurants, parks, coffee houses, offices, etc., but I feel a certain connection to nature. I love going to Nay Aug Park so much because despite its flaws that so many others are quick to point out, I have yet to meet one person who hasn't visited the treehouse or seen the waterfall from the Davis Trail and hasn't been awestruck by it. It's truly a blessing to have a venue like that just blocks from downtown. I love communing with nature; I would hate to live amongst it and have to drive 20 miles everyday to get my "city fix."

Old 12-02-2007, 06:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Well, SWB, you've provided some promising events out your way in the future.

I'll be looking forward to fully unpacking and having the time to scout around more than I have.

You make the entire area sound like that cup of hot cocoa by the fireplace.

PR could be a likely career and most lucrative.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, SWB, you've provided some promising events out your way in the future.

I'll be looking forward to fully unpacking and having the time to scout around more than I have.

You make the entire area sound like that cup of hot cocoa by the fireplace.

PR could be a likely career and most lucrative.
Haha! Thanks for the suggestion. I think my true calling might just be community and economic development coordinator for the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce (hint, hint President Austin Burke if you're reading this!!!)

Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
I grew up in the area in the summers for 17 years and it was quite different back then. Sometimes, I feel like I am going back in time 50 years or that time has stopped. The first real shocker was teaching in the local school district here.....not much to say except that I kept thinking that I was on candid camera. It has been 5 years and we have adjusted. There are some great aspects to living here as well, but in the last 5 years I have seen Pike County really changing rapidly. I do like the lake region. We spend the summer months in the area and find it very nice. I think much of how people respond depends on where they live and what their personal experiences are.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Haha! Thanks for the suggestion. I think my true calling might just be community and economic development coordinator for the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce (hint, hint President Austin Burke if you're reading this!!!)
I ditto your thinking Paul. You would be great at governing.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, you left off this choice, which is how I would vote: I once lived there, have no plans at present to come back. The main reasons are I have no family there and my DH says he will never look for another job again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania