Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM

76 posts, read 112,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^
Look. I don't hate NEPA. I just think it's disingenuous to try to make it out as something it's not. The area was 10-15 years behind the times on many fronts when I lived there from 1986-2009, and I'm sure it hasn't changed by leaps and bounds in just the past 4-5 years. I'm glad Magritte has some fellow liberal quirky friends. Great. I did when I lived in NEPA, too, but they were outnumbered by the more rigid, uptight, conservative, anti-gay/pro-gun/pro-life/tea party-ish crowd.
I agree with you about the area being behind, which is probably why we have the college students leaving the area. But like you, for personal reasons I really can't stay here for too much longer, aside from that I have never moved once in my life. I will probably have to put the demographic area first, get a job in the particular area to get my foot in the door. I also agree, kings does push people to leave.

However, I would consider surrounding area for 1-2 years (not wilkes barre or Scranton though and Definitely not Philly ) as long as I can get a place of my own. The main goal is to move out of my Dallas home which is the root of the current and ongoing personal issues. I hear Lancaster is nice, maybe the Poconos, but like I said just not for too long. 22 is still young but I don't want to waste these years in a state I lived all my life.yet 22 years is an awfully long time to live in little old Dallas. I believe in taking leaps and moving around a few times in your life.

Last edited by Moopsiepie; 04-15-2014 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 04:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Moopsie, I agree. I think every young person should spread their wings while they're young and unencumbered by all the stuff that life lays on you.

Knowing what you want is as important as any decision you can make, but wouldn't it be prudent to try to make some contacts in your desired locale before you jump in with both feet?

Yes, NEPA is viewed as a behind-the-times backwater by some. But not every place can be NYC, nor does it want to be. I'm sure there are some of those people that SCR describes, but I don't know any of them. If I do, they know better than to show that side to me. But I'm also sure that even in New York, there are those very types, and in larger numbers than what you'd find here.

So go where you will, and make the Valley proud of you. (And always take advice with a grain of salt.)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
So, marchawg and Paul, are your experiences the only ones that are valid?

My curiosity is piqued by your insistence that no gay person, no liberal person, no progressive person could possibly be happy here in the valley. Since I actually live here and interact with people from here daily as part of my life, I think my opinion is just as valid as yours.

There are gay people who live here who are happy. I've been just as vocal about the negatives in this area as the positives yet marchawg and Paul only deem it necessary to speak to (or more accurately about) me when they can be condescending to a native who chose to stay in her hometown.

Yes, this area has changed quite a bit since 2009. One of the largest, most influential churches in the area publicly advertised and supported PrideFest last year. The LGBT community center opened here a few months ago. The progressives in this area are gaining more support and have a louder voice than ever before.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
I love this.......while you folks argue why NEPA sucks, I'm the only one who posted helpful information to the OP. And BTW, seems like I've got a positive response to the Nashville suggestion from a lot of you. See, the Captain is right, some realize it sooner than others.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
One piece of advice I would give any young person looking for a job: Try to find a company that is just opening it's doors. Of course it is a gamble to go with a new company. However; there is only one way to go and that is up (as long as you aren't a total idiot).

After corporations have operated for some time they develop bad habits. Nepotism, favoritism, corporate politics, can challenge new employees at old jobs. Starting fresh, with a new company, levels the ground for the time being. Then it is up to the individual to demonstrate their own abilities - advancement is much easier.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
I love this.......while you folks argue why NEPA sucks, I'm the only one who posted helpful information to the OP. And BTW, seems like I've got a positive response to the Nashville suggestion from a lot of you. See, the Captain is right, some realize it sooner than others.
I posted helpful information. I know exactly what the OP has in store for her when looking for employment in her field. She seems to want to ignore it and choose her locale first, which is fine if she can afford it, but as a relatively recent college grad I can speak to not only 1.) The difficulty of the field (Guess which departments were laid off/closed first during the Recession? That's right, Communications and Marketing. Guess which ones are still barely hiring. That's right...) 2.) The importance of having a job in place before moving.

OP if you really are determined to make a go of it and have the savings to do so, more power to you. You can always get a temp job while you wait to find FT employment. I'm just telling you my personal experiences.

And I have to ask: You say Definitely not Philly. What is your experience with Philly, exactly? If it's limited to touristy areas, Market East, and going to Phillies games, then that's not really seeing Philly at all.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I posted helpful information. I know exactly what the OP has in store for her when looking for employment in her field. She seems to want to ignore it and choose her locale first, which is fine if she can afford it, but as a relatively recent college grad I can speak to not only 1.) The difficulty of the field (Guess which departments were laid off/closed first during the Recession? That's right, Communications and Marketing. Guess which ones are still barely hiring. That's right...) 2.) The importance of having a job in place before moving.

OP if you really are determined to make a go of it and have the savings to do so, more power to you. You can always get a temp job while you wait to find FT employment. I'm just telling you my personal experiences.

And I have to ask: You say Definitely not Philly. What is your experience with Philly, exactly? If it's limited to touristy areas, Market East, and going to Phillies games, then that's not really seeing Philly at all.
Excellent point!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM

331 posts, read 639,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So, marchawg and Paul, are your experiences the only ones that are valid?

My curiosity is piqued by your insistence that no gay person, no liberal person, no progressive person could possibly be happy here in the valley. Since I actually live here and interact with people from here daily as part of my life, I think my opinion is just as valid as yours.

There are gay people who live here who are happy. I've been just as vocal about the negatives in this area as the positives yet marchawg and Paul only deem it necessary to speak to (or more accurately about) me when they can be condescending to a native who chose to stay in her hometown.

Yes, this area has changed quite a bit since 2009. One of the largest, most influential churches in the area publicly advertised and supported PrideFest last year. The LGBT community center opened here a few months ago. The progressives in this area are gaining more support and have a louder voice than ever before.
Neither of us said that. I just said in my last post that there is a liberal segment, but it's very small.

Listen, you can call it being negative all you want, but I'm being realistic about the area. If someone is looking for a progressive area to work and live, I'm not going to glaze over the bad stuff just because I am liberal and know others who are. The vast majority of NEPA is NOT liberal. I don't know how you can even attempt to argue otherwise.

As far as being helpful, I think I posted valuable info on the south and NYC, and I've given an honest, realistic look at NEPA.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Well whatever happens, I'll make sure to update this thread. Enjoy the politics discussion while I head on over to some other states thread, and thanks to those who stayed on topic here.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One piece of advice I would give any young person looking for a job: Try to find a company that is just opening it's doors. Of course it is a gamble to go with a new company. However; there is only one way to go and that is up (as long as you aren't a total idiot).

After corporations have operated for some time they develop bad habits. Nepotism, favoritism, corporate politics, can challenge new employees at old jobs. Starting fresh, with a new company, levels the ground for the time being. Then it is up to the individual to demonstrate their own abilities - advancement is much easier.
Thanks for this different perspective! I've been given the opposite advice though saying 'well what if the company fails.' Lots of different perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania