Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM

30 posts, read 148,142 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of moving to a rural area of NEPA then please be aware of the horrible massacre that goes on during deer and bear season. You need a tough resolve to get through it without getting heart sick.

Hunters come from all over and it was said by the news that there were one million here this season.

Hunters seem to get a blood lust and even turn on each other.

I travel back roads to my job and see the trucks all along No Hunting posted areas. I see camp grounds set up in the woods. My son saw a fawn laying on the side of a back road, dazed and not knowing what to do. I had 2 beautiful bucks run across the road in front of me today, probably from gunshots because there were trucks all over the sides of the road.

This year, during bear season, a hunter shot an albino bear cub, less than 50 lbs and was put on the front page of the local paper like a hero with the baby bear strung up.

I moved here to enjoy the wildlife and seeing the holocaust makes me so sick I almost want to go back where I came from. I am sick.

So, if you are coming here to commune with nature, be aware of the fact that the woods and beautiful wildlife belong to the savage hunters.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
You nearly made me weep. Just the other day I saw a dozen or more hunters all dressed for the inclement weather getting ready for a hunt. They looked up as I drove by, almost but not quite with a guilty look in their eyes.

But I must say this area is over-run with deer, and because of deer, probably a great deal of lymes disease in warm weather.

Do you have a solution for how the deer and the people can live together as the distribution of housing, land, forest come together?

And, that poor baby bear. Had an incident just like it in Brattleboro VT this summer.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
You moved to NEPA what did you expect? There are two other things that are a religion around here besides beer and thats High school football and HUNTING. Get used to it because its not going anywhere. For the record I do not hunt deer or bear, but it is what it is and it drives alot of the smaller local economies on a seasonal basis.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Unhappy What did I expect?????

I expected a kinder, gentler type of area that had some respect for the wildlife. I see that in alot of folks but these hunters I see are full of blood lust and they are destroying bear and deer families- YES I said families cuz that is what they are! I had an old timer I worked with a few yrs ago tell me he once went hunting with his Dad and his Dad shot a doe. There were 2 fawns with her and as they gutted the deer, the fawns ran in a large circle around them, crying and making baa'ing noises.

Is there no compassion here?

I will never "get used" to it. It is murder and massacre.

As far as finding a solution to the overpopulation, no, honestly I don't have a proven solution. We will never stop the building and influx of people and I know that birth control dropped in feed won't work because hunting is big business.

All I am saying is this is what it is and it sucks and I hope that anyone moving here is ready for it.

The wild life stands no chance. There is no "time out", there is no "safe base", there are no weapons given to them. Sure not a fair fight.

Last edited by deerlover; 12-08-2007 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You nearly made me weep.
Oh good Lord. Would either of you like to see more animals killed in automobile accidents because of over population?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Well, if you have feel sad about something I'll be certain to remember your sensitive response to my feelings.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
....getting ready for a hunt. They looked up as I drove by, almost but not quite with a guilty look in their eyes.
This must have been the funniest thing I read in a long long time. Five minutes after reading it i'm still laughing, thanks for that.

Please remember in PA, the second slogan of the state is..."Bambi, it's what's for dinner"

Still laughing.......

Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 PM

Unfortunately this is what kind of mentality there is here. Bambi for dinner. Does that make you proud? Make you feel like a real man? I don't get it.

I can actually respect the hunter that needs to put food on his table for his family and can take a deer out with one good shot but I am talking about the idiots with the blood lust that need to kill for the sake of killing. They are rampant.

What ever you get out of this, so be it. If it is humorous to you, then I know you are not a person I would want to meet. I just want others that read this and think of moving here to know what to expect.

Kind, compassionate people need to know this as it is a big part of the culture. and not a pretty part of it.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Pleased to have provided you with some levity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
This must have been the funniest thing I read in a long long time. Five minutes after reading it i'm still laughing, thanks for that.

Please remember in PA, the second slogan of the state is..."Bambi, it's what's for dinner"

Still laughing.......

Old 12-08-2007, 09:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerlover View Post
Unfortunately this is what kind of mentality there is here. Bambi for dinner. Does that make you proud? Make you feel like a real man? I don't get it.

I can actually respect the hunter that needs to put food on his table for his family and can take a deer out with one good shot but I am talking about the idiots with the blood lust that need to kill for the sake of killing. They are rampant.

What ever you get out of this, so be it. If it is humorous to you, then I know you are not a person I would want to meet. I just want others that read this and think of moving here to know what to expect.

Kind, compassionate people need to know this as it is a big part of the culture. and not a pretty part of it.
I don't hunt, nor have I ever hunted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania