U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the worst/most crime ridden out of these: Carbon, Monroe or Pike County in PA.
Carbon County/PA 5 14.29%
Monroe County/PA 20 57.14%
Pike County/PA 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 30,344 times

Advertisements

Which one is better of the two: southern Luzerne County or southern Pike County. By better I mean, less crime. And within the county you suggest, which town/neighborhood do you suggest and which should I stay far away from. I don't even want to border anything bad.

I want to thank everyone for their time. Please help me make the right decision.

-T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,642,056 times
I'd personally go with rural Pike or Carbon. Monroe is too sprawl-ish and full of traffic for my preference.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:05 PM

31,586 posts, read 71,723,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouschi View Post
Which one is better of the two: southern Luzerne County or southern Pike County. By better I mean, less crime. And within the county you suggest, which town/neighborhood do you suggest and which should I stay far away from. I don't even want to border anything bad.

I want to thank everyone for their time. Please help me make the right decision.

-T
Both Southern Pike County and Southern Luzerne County have their desirable and undesirable areas. In Southern Luzerne County, there has been a wave of violent crime in recent years in the city of Hazleton that have mirrored its racial tensions. However, surrounding communities like Drums, Conyngham, White Haven, etc. remain very tranquil and safe. Much of southern Pike County is safe, but I've heard some bad things about a few communities there.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,854,147 times
I live in Pike County and from what I understand Monroe has a high tax base and a high rate of crime. Pike County is much less developed at this point. I have easy access to all the Malls (which include a drive) Milddletown, Palisdes, Naunuet and even the Garden State Plaza. I can get ez access to New York City via the train in Port. (I am retired from the RR - so I have a life time pass) another benefit! If I had my druthers now, I would pick Wayne County - and this is 5 years later!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 AM

13,320 posts, read 21,259,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I'd personally go with rural Pike or Carbon. Monroe is too sprawl-ish and full of traffic for my preference.
Carbon is a wonderful, peaceful county. ( I agree Karen s)

As far as crime. The TV will show you when you come to visit this way that it is all over. Crime is something we all have to deal with. Even in places that one thinks of as "safe" ......even in rural Vermont........there is crime.

I remember once hearing a good quote while in Hawaii. One of the speakers on a boat tour said, "Yes, Yes, I know you all want to live here.......and Yes, I know you want to just have all this peace and quiet, nothing to do"........then he went on to say......." but, we have found in Hawaii ,that after a few days of quiet and peace.......most of you can not sit still and want places to go to and things to do"

It is quite true, that most of us need to get out and enjoy our surroundings.
Be it boating on Beltzville Lake, going to a library, or heading for a book store.

I think that Carbon is a good area to relax in, have the peacefulness, great pieces of land...........yet still be able to go out and enjoy hiking, boating,
exploring or whatever. I don't feel traffic is bad in Carbon either.
I do love that it has access to good shopping areas.
Homes are always in need of something be it landscape, furniture, paint, or appliances. ( Pier One I hear ya')

It is not all that far also from ABE airport for getting out and about the country.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I live in Pike County and from what I understand Monroe has a high tax base and a high rate of crime. Pike County is much less developed at this point. I have easy access to all the Malls (which include a drive) Milddletown, Palisdes, Naunuet and even the Garden State Plaza. I can get ez access to New York City via the train in Port. (I am retired from the RR - so I have a life time pass) another benefit! If I had my druthers now, I would pick Wayne County - and this is 5 years later!
Yeah, Monroe does.........Hat...........we have that darn high tax.
Schools are not voted on here. They just rise before you like the sun in the morning..........

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,854,147 times
Hi Summering,

Well, Pike is catching up with the school taxes too! Schools are not voted on here either. Just the School Board does the voting for the tax payers. LOL, and you should see how comfy the District office is.........LOL, rising before the sun.....yes....I agree.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Don'tcha just find that amazing? In NJ we had to vote for schools. Not that I didn't want decent schools. But, limits have to be set. The year they wanted the pool, the taxes had just gone sky high. Everyone voted down the pool.........
Here, the board says build them, and up they go.
There is nothing to curb spending practices. You sit back and find something that was a field, fill up with two or more schools, and pools.
Then on to the next town, and the next area. The school builders will never be without work.
We all know that taxes are quite high, so something has to give.
I personally think the builders building the homes need to contribute. Be it for a land donation, or so much to the county per home. More families ,mean more students.
They have to be responsible in knowing the community can't handle the additional influx.
Pike will be just like Monroe soon.
Then those buildings will rise before you Hat.......just like the sun rises.......
We can stand on the top floors ( some are four) and wave to each other

Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM

487 posts, read 1,269,824 times
Well, Pike County would seem to fit the bill for you. We are close to completing our home in Greentown. It's a town that kind of in the middle of nowhere, but not too far from anywhere. It's about 30 minutes to Scranton (if you need big box stores for shopping) and about 20-25 minutes from Honesdale (also more shopping opportunity). But, Greentown itself is quite rural and unspoiled.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM

23 posts, read 67,410 times
It wasn't just you guys who picked the wrong thing on the poll, the topic title was misleading. That said, I happened to choose the place that is the answer to where I'd rather live and where the most crime is, Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania