Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM

75 posts, read 408,528 times

Advertisements

There is a general dislike of people from NY/NJ in my area of the Northern Tier and unfortunately yes, there is an element of generalization, but like all generalizations, there is a kernel of truth to them. I dont think it's a jealousy issue, because most locals would never want the life of the transplants, afterall we're not the ones fleeing where we came from. I think the frequent condescending attitudes are the biggest problem or complaints about...well in jersey, we had this..., or the transplants' own intolerance for local norms, such as hunting, unpaved roads, etc. There is also the effect of driving up property prices in my area, but I cant complain too much because I definitely intend to sell my house to a transplant one day for far more than the "local price".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,934 times
I think the hunting and the unpaved roads are simply brutal.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:18 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,889 times
I dont see any issues in our area with people being unwelcome. Dont the out of towners keep the lake wallenpaupack area busy for business owners? Every cashier, postal worker, store owner we have dealt with locally over the last 8 years was nothing but friendly, could care less that Im nyc-bred. I dont have an accent but Im not sure that would matter. If youre nice it rubs off, and I love to kill them with kindness. I've watched some incidents on summer weekends at Dutchs or Weis where an 'out of towner' got snippy with a deli counter person or cashier. Sometimes when you come from ny/nj it takes a while to learn how to slow down, both mentally and physically. I know it took time for us to learn to sit back and enjoy everything around here, drive a little slower, be a little more patient. My motto around here is 'everyday is sunday' and that works for alot of people here.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
I dont see any issues in our area with people being unwelcome. Dont the out of towners keep the lake wallenpaupack area busy for business owners? Every cashier, postal worker, store owner we have dealt with locally over the last 8 years was nothing but friendly, could care less that Im nyc-bred. I dont have an accent but Im not sure that would matter. If youre nice it rubs off, and I love to kill them with kindness. I've watched some incidents on summer weekends at Dutchs or Weis where an 'out of towner' got snippy with a deli counter person or cashier. Sometimes when you come from ny/nj it takes a while to learn how to slow down, both mentally and physically. I know it took time for us to learn to sit back and enjoy everything around here, drive a little slower, be a little more patient. My motto around here is 'everyday is sunday' and that works for alot of people here.
I agree
poconosmama!!
Here in The Hideout, sometimes I see a family on vacation at the pool or the each and they are fighting with each other! Sometimes I think their life is so stressed that they don't know how to relax. And there is definitely some behavior that just makes N.Y.ers look bad in general. I always say when I see someone all stressed over nothing, "Relax"....(wait a second and just make eye contact with a smile) then with a real low, soothing voice..."You're in Pennsylvania now."

Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
As far as any issues of people being unwelcome, you really have to have a job and work with the public on a daily basis to really know how many people feel about out of towners. There are very few business owners who would proudly say that they are thankful for all the business the out of towners bring them. I know this from working in a bank with the public for 14 years.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Default some good points

I see alot of good points put here. Relax, enjoy and just be friendly is my motto. We can all get along if we just try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania