Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

Wasn't your husband stuck down in OK or thereabouts last winter, ILP?

I am just barely unplowed, but from my reading here, I best get a bigger shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I feel kinda guilty looking forward to a good snow storm...my hubbie is a truck driver, he will have an awful time, he never takes a day off for bad weather, so he'll be stuck in it. Last February's storm had him stuck in his struck somewhere for 3 days straight, thank goodness he takes water, blankets and a stash of granola bars.
My snow boarder daughter is very excited, plus the added benefit of no school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
Wow...you guys are so excited over all this snow... I've got my hot chocolate & mini-marshmallows ready....now where did I leave my Chips Ahoys??? Hehe or maybe I'll get ambitious and do some baking....

So far, I've heard 5-10 for tomorrow and up to 36", yes that's 3 feet, for Sat/Sun. NW NJ, where we used to live, sounds like similar. OK, so we moved to PA in April....people asked if this is our first winter here and look what we get... :-)

I got my shovel ready.... Have to warn hubby to get the snowblower warmed up and call his friend from the fire dept. to plow our driveway out....

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,519 times
What??? I didn't know anything about snow on Sunday. I don't have the TV on very much.

This could be the test. I will need to head up 115 from Blakeslee tomorrow for a 1:00 appointment at a doctor on rt. 315. I don't wannnnnna!!! I'm not very comfortable driving in ice.

Then we were to head to Rome, NY for the weekend.

<<<Rockky creates a vacuum as she dashes for The Weather Channel! Wooooosh!!>>>

Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
What??? I didn't know anything about snow on Sunday. I don't have the TV on very much.

This could be the test. I will need to head up 115 from Blakeslee tomorrow for a 1:00 appointment at a doctor on rt. 315. I don't wannnnnna!!! I'm not very comfortable driving in ice.

Then we were to head to Rome, NY for the weekend.

<<<Rockky creates a vacuum as she dashes for The Weather Channel! Wooooosh!!>>>
HAHA! Don't worry...I only heard ONE foot for this weekend---not three! LOL!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
I've already got a party looking to cancel on Sunday. It only means I will have to make it up later in the month. Tomorrow I will still have to go in because I have huge amounts of prep work for Friday regardless of snow Thursday. I don't mind as I live close to work.

Let it snow!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I've already got a party looking to cancel on Sunday. It only means I will have to make it up later in the month. Tomorrow I will still have to go in because I have huge amounts of prep work for Friday regardless of snow Thursday. I don't mind as I live close to work.

Let it snow!
I never understood why so many in NEPA hated the snow. It's so beautiful as it lines tree limbs and evergreens, and it has such a cleansing and renewing feeling---almost like a total catharsis. I drive in it too with a front-wheel drive sedan. Is it easy? No. Do I whine about it? No. I think if anyone around here bloody hates the snow, they should move to the paradise that is Phoenix and then complain about baking in 120 degree weather in July.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,393 times
Default Snow

I love snow; I just don't like flying into it and dealing with delayed flights.
But look at the bright side--more to ski in later.
I hope I'm flying in late enough tomorrow that I'll miss the brunt of it.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
HAHA! Don't worry...I only heard ONE foot for this weekend---not three! LOL!
Whew...that's a relief. That was just one of the "rumors" I heard through the grapevite. Thank God it's only about a foot. Thanks Paul!

-Denise

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,519 times
Local travel question:

I have this appt. at 1:00 in the 1100 block of Highway 315. We already have a layer of sleet with snow coming down now.

Would it be wiser to travel up Rt. 115 from Blakeslee, or would it be better to go to the Turnpike, get off at the exit above the one for Wilkes Barre (Rt. 115), and travel the 5 +/- miles back south on Rt. 81/315?

Hope that question makes sense.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Local travel question:

I have this appt. at 1:00 in the 1100 block of Highway 315. We already have a layer of sleet with snow coming down now.

Would it be wiser to travel up Rt. 115 from Blakeslee, or would it be better to go to the Turnpike, get off at the exit above the one for Wilkes Barre (Rt. 115), and travel the 5 +/- miles back south on Rt. 81/315?

Hope that question makes sense.
Is this appointment absolutely essential? If it's possible to reschedule for tomorrow, I'd definitely behoove you to do so. I've been listening to my police scanner, and in the past hour I've heard of apparent car accidents in Duryea, Waverly, and Pittston. If you absolutely MUST go out in this mess, take Route 115 as little as you possibly have to. Those winding hills you go down as you head between Bear Creek and Wilkes-Barre can be heinous.

I believe though you meant to say "315" not "115" in your last paragraph. That would be your BEST option. You'd want to take the turnpike north to the Wyoming Valley/Pittston interchange, and then head towards Highway 315 south. There are a few hills on Highway 315, but they are much better than 115.

Godspeed, Rockyy! We already have a good three inches of snow here in Pittston, and it's coming down like cats and dogs (or frozen ones at least). We've had very little sleet here though, so icing shouldn't be as big of a deal as long as you can handle snow.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-13-2007 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania