Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
My point is, and always was, is the fact that the garbage from NY & NJ is flooding the area and turning the place into nothing more than Newark in the hills. As far as the murders in Nashville, there are obvious similarities I'd love to talk about but I'd be edited for "racist comments'. And sorry Fish, I love where I am. As far as wasting time??? no, when something like this comes to my attention, it's worth posting to give a little balance to the lop sided rah-rah crap some cheerleaders feed people that are looking to move to the area.
The Biggest Cheerleader no longer lives in the area. Having the choice of the entire city of Wilkes-Barre and even the West Side, he moved his family into one of the least desirable areas of the city, and then cried "foul" when it didn't work out to his satisfaction. Now he shakes his pom-poms for Ohio. As if there are no bad people in that entire state.

The murder of the Scranton cabdriver is a tragedy, indeed. And the perpetrator is from NJ. That doesn't mean that every NJ citizen is a murderer. Or black. And he didn't come here seeking welfare benefits - he came here because he's wanted in NJ. For questioning in three other murders.

I do believe, Cap'n, if you'd just pay attention, the Cheerleaders are always people who aren't from here. There are a couple of NY/NJ transplants who are delighted to be in NEPA, and sound very much like the Biggest Cheerleader did when he first arrived on our sunny shore. (A Liberal is just a Conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.)

Most of us who are long-time residents are quite specific in encouraging those looking to relocate to rent for a year to see just how well they can adapt to the lifestyle here. And to make sure that they aren't locked into a neighborhood that is full of undesirables. Who might murder them.

I myself am a transplant and have lived happily (for the most part) in this area for the past 46 years. And despite that, I'm certainly not a cheerleader. Of course, if one of my children opted for college in Ohio, I might just decide that it's where I'm going. Or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Lets not get into all the corrupt whites in this area or the dozens of white male serial killers we've seen over the past 50 years. Lets not also get into the dozens of white mass shooters over the past 20 years.

Just trying to give a little balance!

Statistically there is not whole lot of difference between whites and other races where mass murders are concerned. The totals are higher but that is to be expected since we make up such a large part of the population. You need to look at rates, not total and for mass murders the rates are about normal.

Murder in general is whole other story, using national rates if you had 6 white people in room and one black person and you knew one of them was murderer it's just as likely the single black person is the murderer over the 6 others. I forget the exact number but if you applied that to the local population in Luzerne County you're looking at about 100 to 200 white people in a room and the black person would just as likely be the murderer as the other 100 ro 200.

These are the cold hard facts...

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Statistically there is not whole lot of difference between whites and other races where mass murders are concerned. The totals are higher but that is to be expected since we make up such a large part of the population. You need to look at rates, not total and for mass murders the rates are about normal.

Murder in general is whole other story, using national rates if you had 6 white people in room and one black person and you knew one of them was murderer it's just as likely the single black person is the murderer over the 6 others. I forget the exact number but if you applied that to the local population in Luzerne County you're looking at about 100 to 200 white people in a room and the black person would just as likely be the murderer as the other 100 ro 200.

These are the cold hard facts...
Then doesn't it follow that a white person would be just as likely to be a murderer? My point wasn't that black people don't commit crimes or any less capable of committing crimes. My point was that being black in and of itself is not an indicator of criminal behavior.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
"And he didn't come here seeking welfare benefits - he came here because he's wanted in NJ. For questioning in three other murders."

This is where the liberal logic ends....God forbid you ask the next question. Why did he choose the area? Because it was a safe haven with others who condone the criminal activities he engaged in. He knew the people and knew they would hide him. Unless the US Marshals were on his trail and or he didn't kill that taxi driver, he'd still be walking the streets. These are your new neighbors folks, and the way I see it, you deserve them.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then doesn't it follow that a white person would be just as likely to be a murderer?
No it wouldn't, you need to look at rates because of the difference in population totals. This is simple math because murders are equally distributed amongst the white and black population. The population totals are about a 6:1 ratio but an equal amount of murders.

That population ratio in Luzerne County is about 200:3 and I think we can safely assume 50% to 75% of the murders are amongst the black population. It's a crazy amount of murders amongst the black population here. If you are black in Luzerne County you'd be safer hanging out in some third world nation with an astronomical murder rate... honestly.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
The Biggest Cheerleaders? Is that all you got? That's only a put down in NEPA. I've never seen a place where it's fashionable and acceptable to "hate where you live", and any sort of compliment by a new comer is scoffed at or derided.

We were always proud of our home state and fiercely proud of the beauty and history of Long Island's North Shore. And if you "local yoakels" would do a little research there is no "Long Island accent" there. People in that region sound as thought they are from nearby Connecticut. Because we were settled by Connecticut people in the 1600s. We came from The Three Village School District Stony Brook, The Setaukets, and Port Jefferson Village were our sumptuous surrounds. An area of remarkable beauty, impeccable schools, and happy, proud, community oriented people.

Even people who lived in little three bedroom ranches and modest Cape Cods, took pride in their homes and gardens; and knew the rich history of our Colonial town.

When we moved to NEPA we decided to look for what was good in NEPA. Yes, we had to look a little harder. No. Waaayyy harder. But we found it. Every time we posted about such a find, we were "made fun of", by the resident school yard bullies.

So, by contrast, our normal optimism and "can do" Yankee attitude was mocked by most of you on this board.

Stony Brook and the surrounding areas blow any place in NEPA off the map. Forty Fort and Kingston? Oh please! Every other street has overflow of trash from nearby Edwardsville.

Clark Summit? It's wanna be nouveau riche cousin. Make me cry. Three stores and a fair restaurant. Just wow me with CS while I call Great Neck and Locust Valley to beat you up!

Mountain Top? Don't make me laugh! Trailers and High Ranches with some fake plastic mini-Mc Mansion subdivisions interspersed with dilapidated summer homes.
And no village center, No charm. No nothing. Calling Manorville NY!!! You have competition! North Shirley and East Yaphank? There are some people in PA who wanna look rich as bad as you do after graduating from the College of Hard Knocks; but oh god you do it so much better. Maybe you can show them how to plant pretentious spiral bushes and add a fake marble Koi pond better than they do, 'cause man, they need you're help up in Mountain Top!

But we tried. We tried to like the area, and until the $hit hit this fan and the "up and coming" street that we were steered to by a RE broker who was a grad of U of Scranton and SUNY Binghamton (never the less, even with his MS, he returned to the Valley to work, like a programmed, obedient homing pigeon)

You're all that way. Programmed to never leave. Attend one of the mediocre area colleges - even if you graduate with honors. Wtf?

So now we live in a place also settled by people from Connecticut. Rich in history and natural beauty. We love it. And the people we meet here, love it.
They appreciate and enjoy that WE love it.

Like normal people!. They don't attack us for taking pride in where we have elected to live. They praise us for the restoration that we've done to our house for our involvement in our community. They enjoy our friendliness and hospitality. We are included in neighborhood graduation parties and other events.

This is not a special area. It's just a normal American area where people take pride in themselves and welcome others into their community.

Just like normal people. Unlike NEPA.

Cheerleaders? We could be called worse. I'm fiercely proud of New York. New York City is the center of the universe. I'm not gonna lie.

However, I am proud of anyplace that I call home.

Except NEPA. We made a mistake in moving there and our attempt at being "urban pioneers" was misguided.

BFD. People move, when they hate where they live. Or can no longer afford it. We could not afford the part of LI that we loved. So we moved.

We found that we did not like NEPA so we moved. Like thousands of normal Americans do each day. We moved.
You stay. Gripe. Complain and spew hatred.
Whose the failure here?

Had they sold us that house on Montgomery Ave., we would have been flood victims AND the victims of nasty people who call police when they see a family of suburbanites standing outside of a house with two kids and an SUV with out of state plates.

"Mary! Come quick! There's an FAMILY standing in front or the old Jones place! CALL THE COPS!"

"They AREN'T FROM OUR PARRISH!"

"There from ANOTHER STATE!"

You can all have each other. On a freakin' silver platter! Or a plastic one from Grumpo's. That's more your style.

If you'll excuse me, I'm not posting here anymore. I'm taking the advice of my better half who avoids all of you like the plague.

But, I will be lurking, and warning anyone contemplating leaving the NYC metro area "in search of a simpler life" to AVOID NEPA and it's band of HATEFUL, IGNORANT and NASTY, YAHOOS at all costs! It's no Mayberry. And the "Heartland" it's not.

It might be the ninth circle of hell, though.

Unless your idea of "small town America" includes toothless white men sucking on cheap beer, bragging about who they last beat up in "69, and how much they hate "coloreds". Or, old washed up embittered women who are the self appointed dowager divas of the derogatory, who spew failed sarcastic comments and contentious quips. Relive the "glory days" all you want. They're gone down that river with you're looks and you're last husband or your tattooed baby mama. Which ever applies to your brand of NEPA bitterness. I'm including outlaw psycho mama's boys who speak in tongues and threaten neighbors will guns. Whatta load of crazies. We met 'em all in NEPA!

In fact, if you want a simpler life, older housing stock, established friendly and walkable neighborhoods that are not "up and coming", but nice and stable the way they are; just keep driving west on 80.

Eventually, you'll hit Ohio.

Last edited by warren zee; 05-30-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Oh. Very sorry about that cabbie from Scranton. He'd have been safer in Cleveland.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Oh. Very sorry about that cabbie from Scranton. He'd have been safer in Cleveland.
Actually Scranton is fairly safe as far as the murder rates go. It's looks about 2 per 100K on average over the last few years and some with none. 2 is 3 less than the national average and about 18 less than Cleveland which looks to be about 20 on average.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
You know, I hope I never hate a place where I live so badly that I go on an internet bulletin board years after I move away and argue with strangers about it. Maybe it's a coping strategy to help people exorcise the demons.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:49 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You know, I hope I never hate a place where I live so badly that I go on an internet bulletin board years after I move away and argue with strangers about it. Maybe it's a coping strategy to help people exorcise the demons.
hehehe too true All that hate will eat them up inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania