Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2007, 07:19 PM
 
Location: In Northern Wayne
57 posts, read 122,831 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Will the Susquehanna flood this weekend?

The weather service is calling for rain this Sunday..... Even at the highest elevations in NEPA and Southern NY.

Are them flatlanders gonna need a boat?
Do you got a boat to lend?
Maybe we can all just watch it on channel 16.


If you cross the Delaware at Easton........ That may be affected too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Eastern PA
1,263 posts, read 4,917,978 times
Reputation: 1177
I'm not familiar with the Susquehanna flooding situation, but I hope we don't have this again:
http://www.cyclingcaptured.com/gallery/1611415#78389127
http://www.cyclingcaptured.com/gallery/1615384#78601627
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Reputation: 19066
I think our snow pack is just a bit too shallow, and the rain fall that is projected is just a bit too light to signal a repeat of January 1996 when heavy rains, warm temperatures, and a rapidly melting snow pack led to a major river flood. I'd be more concerned about those streams and creeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 AM
 
Location: In Northern Wayne
57 posts, read 122,831 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I think our snow pack is just a bit too shallow, and the rain fall that is projected is just a bit too light to signal a repeat of January 1996 when heavy rains, warm temperatures, and a rapidly melting snow pack led to a major river flood. I'd be more concerned about those streams and creeks.
I don't know about not having enough pack. We have about 12" of hard pack right now. I'm sure it's true of most of the peaks to the north. the weather service is calling for 1" liquid. So if theirs a melt off it will be in the range of 3" liquid in a run off situation. This is due to the ground being frozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Reputation: 19066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanb999 View Post
I don't know about not having enough pack. We have about 12" of hard pack right now. I'm sure it's true of most of the peaks to the north. the weather service is calling for 1" liquid. So if theirs a melt off it will be in the range of 3" liquid in a run off situation. This is due to the ground being frozen.
Wow. I didn't realize your snow pack was still so thick up north. Down here in the valley cities we only have a few inches of snow left on the ground. I'm sure the mountains of Upstate NY nearer to the source of the Susquehanna have a thick snow pack as well. I suppose it's possible. "Merry Christmas! Here's a flooded basement! Ho, ho, ho!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
 
Location: In Northern Wayne
57 posts, read 122,831 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Wow. I didn't realize your snow pack was still so thick up north. Down here in the valley cities we only have a few inches of snow left on the ground. I'm sure the mountains of Upstate NY nearer to the source of the Susquehanna have a thick snow pack as well. I suppose it's possible. "Merry Christmas! Here's a flooded basement! Ho, ho, ho!"
Well let's all hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 PM
 
34 posts, read 45,584 times
Reputation: 14
I'd be more worried about the Lackawanna River going out of it's banks, as well as the usual creeks, streams and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,321 posts, read 22,571,024 times
Reputation: 11694
Do you remember the time the Delaware all of a sudden came roaring down unexpectedly........
All those chunks of ice piling up. The saddest part was the one lady in the Shawnee area who was trying to save her horses. Get them up to high ground. She saved some.
I couldn't keep reading about it..........to emotional for me.
I did go see the Shawnne Inn area, it was quite awhile later, and still the chunks of ice were piled up, and the river was very high.
It was so sudden that this happened, there was just no warning.
It was like this though.......rain coming, after snow and freezing.
I didn't see that the Delaware was that frozen in the Gap area though. Just partly........
Gosh, I don't wish flooding on anyone.
That area also in Bushkill by Easton.........my daughters SUV was up on a lift during one of those storms. It got up to the tires too........frightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top