Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,578 times

Advertisements

^^ Some of the rides from Croop's Glen (abandoned) in Hunlock's Creek are at Knoebel's and I believe that Haunted Mansion---that wonderful "dark" ride at 'K's'---- came from Rolling Green Park in Sunbury (also defunct)......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 04:52 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
For whatever reason, interest is growing in the Drag Lodge; I've seen comments on a few other boards I visit. As for Rocky Glen, it's long gone, and the land is being used for a housing development. Well, I shouldn't say long gone, some of the rides made it to Knoebels and are still in operation today.
the H.A.M.B?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
Yeah, you a HAMB member?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,478 times
Default Ice Races at Naomi Lake

My father ran ICE races on nami lake in the late 50's /early 60's.Not Drag Races but "road races" on the lake. Many racing legends made appearances there. It was even on wide world of sports. Might be able to scrounge a pic or 2 if any interest.
Cheers,
Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Side note: they used to hold drag races on the ice at Lake Naomi years ago; I guarantee that you'll find no physical evidence of that! Mebbe someone has old photos though....

I understand there's trace remains of an old amusement park in the Hazelton area.....either Lakewood or Lakeside Park at Barnesille, I think. My parents attended dances there, dancing to the "Big Bands" of the era, including the famous Dorsey Brothers, who were natives of nearby Shenandoah PA.

There's no trace of Sans Souci Park between Wilkes-barre and Nanticoke. It's now the location of Hanover Township H.S. along the Sans Souci Parkway.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Miller, any old (20s, 30s, 40s) junk yards out that way? Most stuff in da valley was lost in the flooding in the mid 70s or just crushed as yards were sold and cleared out for development. Looking for 1928-32 Willys and Whippet parts for a project I'm going to be picking up soon. Need mostly sheet metal right now.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller2u View Post
My father ran ICE races on nami lake in the late 50's /early 60's.Not Drag Races but "road races" on the lake. Many racing legends made appearances there. It was even on wide world of sports. Might be able to scrounge a pic or 2 if any interest.
Cheers,
Miller
Thanks and yes, I meant auto races, but typed in 'drag' races; still the interesting thing is that a number of cars were supported by that thick ice....gives new meaning to the word "Cool".......

Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Miller, any old (20s, 30s, 40s) junk yards out that way? Most stuff in da valley was lost in the flooding in the mid 70s or just crushed as yards were sold and cleared out for development. Looking for 1928-32 Willys and Whippet parts for a project I'm going to be picking up soon. Need mostly sheet metal right now.
Try this: go just south of Shickshinny on Route 11. You can't miss it. The Spencer junk yard...acres and acres and acres......cousin of the racer Jimmy Spencer....he must have contracted to absorb everything eastof the Mississippi....be nice if youcould goget some stuff and help cut back on that eyesore....before it goes clean up the mountain and down the other side....

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Try this: go just south of Shickshinny on Route 11. You can't miss it. The Spencer junk yard...acres and acres and acres......cousin of the racer Jimmy Spencer....he must have contracted to absorb everything eastof the Mississippi....be nice if youcould goget some stuff and help cut back on that eyesore....before it goes clean up the mountain and down the other side....

Been past it, never been in it. I'll have to give them a call. Usually though the only places that have stuff that old are either specialty yards or yards that are now defunct and huge personal collections.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you a HAMB member?
i'm a FNG over there. i posted a few things in the pocono drag lodge posts. i like to lurk see what kind of crazy things get built. i'd love a traditional hot rod, but i'm not ready for it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller2u View Post
Cheers,
Miller
POST THOSE PICS!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
how about this one?

Old School Junkyard - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania