Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 51,468 times

Advertisements

Good morning

Does anyone know of a place where my Husband and I can get firewood for a wood burning stove? We live in the Mount Pocono area. We just installed a wood burning stove because our house is electric heat and the bill killed us last winter. Now the only problem is finding firewood. My husband responded to some craigslist ads for free firewood but no one ever calls back.
Thank you for your help
Linnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnieLee33 View Post
Good morning

Does anyone know of a place where my Husband and I can get firewood for a wood burning stove? We live in the Mount Pocono area. We just installed a wood burning stove because our house is electric heat and the bill killed us last winter. Now the only problem is finding firewood. My husband responded to some craigslist ads for free firewood but no one ever calls back.
Thank you for your help
Linnie
You can try calling: Feeds Reeders, PA - Mountain Road Feed Store 570-629-1916. They used to sell firewood. If they don't they might know somebody that does. Also try Tractor Supply in Mt. Pocono. They sell the bricks of compressed fuel - I just forget if they are for fireplaces or wood burners? You can also look in the local newspaper.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:10 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Be sure the chimney is clean , and mix your woods . soft woods leave more creosote and soot, while hard woods, though more expensive, burn hotter and help consume the soft wood more thoroughly.
Pine and poplar are soft and fruit an nut are hard.
I have been using wood stoves for most of my life and dad and I built fire places for a living growing up .
I have found that the configuration of the stove pipe can make a big difference in how efficient the unit works.
Going strait up draws all the warm air right out of the building whether the stove is running or not.
I configure a double L in the pipe ( dog leg) to create a natural damper , besides the damper I have in the pipe 3' above the stove and just below the L .
My stove may get up to 600 degrees but after the dog leg ,the temp is 100 or so.
I use an infrared thermometer to verify my findings.
Depending on the age of your home , and how well it is sealed , it is advised to have an alternate source of air from the out side to the stove , from a wall or through the floor directly below the stove.1" is usually sufficient 2" is more than enough.
IMO .
Older homes usually have several air leaks, and it's not quite so critical, but remember it's breathing a little more than you.
Dual glassed windows matter a lot, and if during the winter, you walk around inside the house while it's really cold out side and feel the temperatures of the walls, an windows, doors, and ceiling and floor you will find where heat is being drawn out of the house because it is colder there. I use an infrared thermometer so you don't actually have to touch anything.
Like a heat sink on electronics, draws the heat from the critical components.

I love wood heat especially to cook with .

Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM
m61

11 posts, read 46,662 times
https://poconos.craigslist.org/for/4639288358.html -text Amy she may still have some. Ask for as dry as possible- also consider biobricks for this winter if your stove is OK to be used with them. If you have new EPA stove the brutal reality is that you are most likely a year late with your purchase. The wood moisture content need to be below 20%, and it takes a year to get there- 2 with oak. You just need to get through this winter, stuck as much as you can now for the future.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Do you want free firewood? If so, good luck. If you are willing to pay, then phone some of the local tree surgeons; look under "tree service" in the phone book. They usually always have seasoned split firewood for sale. There are plenty of other sellers of firewood. Look in the Pocono Record classifieds and the Pocono Shopper.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM

55 posts, read 122,456 times
Default fire wood

PPL does not give free electric, so if you think your wood should be free call Obama. Otherwise the market price for 1 cord of seasoned and split hardwood delivered local is $200.00. I suggest getting early as last winter has a supply problem in this market. Good luck and happy heat!

Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 PM
m61

11 posts, read 46,662 times
Actually I did not realize you were looking for free. In this case you need to cut it yourself. I pay $ 165-175 for split and delivered cord, some wood was given to us by the neighbors, some came from the dead trees on our lot but we had to split it.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61 View Post
Actually I did not realize you were looking for free. In this case you need to cut it yourself. I pay $ 165-175 for split and delivered cord, some wood was given to us by the neighbors, some came from the dead trees on our lot but we had to split it.
There is really no such thing as "free" wood. Even if you own the trees. With every tree that is cut your wood gets farther away from the wood stove. Lets say that somebody would start off 'cheap' with just the chainsaw, splitting maul, gloves, ear protectors, safety glasses, steel toe boots, gas can, saw file, wedges, sledge hammer, cart/wheelbarrow/utility wagon, and a lot of your "free" time. Then you get into the real expense as the wood gets farther away and you want to do a better job seasoning the wood: Pickup truck, storage shed, and wood splitter. I did not include medical treatment cuts, bruises, broken bones or bad backs - some of us are luckier or more skilled than others.

I am curious if anybody has ever seen picture of our area from the early 1900's when everybody either burned wood or used wood to start their fires? Our hills had no trees - everything was timbered for firewood, lumber or tanning. Of course today there are smaller parcels of land available for firewood - that is what drives up the price besides all of the original capitol investment.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
yes, everyone who talks about the "unspoiled" beauty of the Poconos and bemoans the population increase and the development forgets that this place was stripped of its forest a hundred years ago. ... there is almost no old-growth forest at all up here.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
yes, everyone who talks about the "unspoiled" beauty of the Poconos and bemoans the population increase and the development forgets that this place was stripped of its forest a hundred years ago. ... there is almost no old-growth forest at all up here.
True enough, but in today's world 100 years is almost forever...many think of now, tomorrow and, for a historical perspective, yesterday and last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania