Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,393 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating in a couple years to be closer to our daughters in CT and NY. Just wondering which areas of PA are more welcome to newcomers. We moved from CA to Austin last year and the transition has been pretty easy since there are a lot of transplants here. Our other option is NC but I would rather be a little closer to NYC. Any suggestions in places that might be a good fit for transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Monroe County is mostly transplants. There are not too many locals, like me, left anymore. I hardly ever see any faces I know when we go shopping. Just act like a NewYawker and you'll be fine!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Monroe County is mostly transplants. There are not too many locals, like me, left anymore. I hardly ever see any faces I know when we go shopping. Just act like a NewYawker and you'll be fine!
Hey you, yeah you Mr. Fisheye...I thought you liked New Yawkers?! LOL

Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 17,734 times
I would honestly say anywhere that's a little more rural would probably be best. In my experience people who live in Scranton/Dickson City, the main part of Wilkes Barre, etc., are usually not too friendly to begin with, especially towards people who they can tell are "new to the area". Most of our transplants come from NJ/NY and live in Scranton/Dickson City/Wilkes Barre (larger cities in the Northeast region), and in a way it's usually easy to tell the difference between people who are from the tri-state area and people who aren't, and that's why (in my opinion) the residents of the city areas are a little more unforgiving when it comes to transplants from states outside this area.

For what it's worth, I've lived in smaller, more rural areas in the Northeast Pennsylvania area almost my whole life here (Moscow, Gouldsboro, Waymart, all 30-45 minutes from the main cities and shopping areas), and have had friends and neighbors who were transplants from a number of different states, and people always seemed welcoming, or at the very least kind, towards them. It's true that in smaller towns like these "everyone knows everyone" but at the same time, I feel like we're used to seeing new faces due to visitors and general traffic through these areas due to people en route to the Poconos/Dickson City. People also seem to mind their own business a little bit more (at least in Gouldsboro and Waymart, not so much Moscow as it is an EXTREMELY small town), so you're less likely to be harassed or anything due to being a newcomer; most people around here either won't bother you at all or will introduce themselves to you at first and then go about their own business.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:09 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Hey you, yeah you Mr. Fisheye...I thought you liked New Yawkers?! LOL
Hi Bloomin! Yes I like most Yawkers!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM

134 posts, read 292,821 times
I couldn't imagine moving from Austin to here.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:17 PM

I am not sure if I am considered a transplant. My husband was born and raised in Scranton and I have been coming here since 1987. Our family moved up here permanently in 2007. My experience has been pretty positive over all.
My NY accent has lead to many people making ASSumptions but we all know people that do that. I have found if you are yourself, do not compare here to where you are from and use good manners most people will act in kind.

Welcome, hopes this helps and best of luck to you and your family.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Hi Bloomin! Yes I like most Yawkers!
Lol, honestly I am the same way! . Why do you think we moved to the Scranton area, there were to many of the people we were trying to get away from in your neck of the woods!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM

671 posts, read 890,789 times
The whole Northeast is transplant city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania