Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
The PSP seem to indicate that they believe it was planned over a long period of time, yes. I can't help but wonder why? I think back to the shooting at the township building near Saylorsburg, but that was such a crime of passion and anger. This guy seems more cold blooded.

Also, in addition to the points you made, he is a survivalist so he probably already has stashes of provisions all over the place. He could be running from house to house under the cover of night.

I don't think this will last. Sooner or later, a tip will lead them in the right direction. I just hope it is sooner for the people who live up there. I have a friend who hasn't been to his house in days!
I found this article on Frein: Who is Eric Frein? | Regional: Poconos & Coal - Home. I would still like to know more about the "military simulation unit" that has not been identified.

We have a State Police barracks in Swiftwater and that is closer than Blooming Grove. At this time we can only speculate why he went after Blooming Grove. It could have been his familiarity with the woods between his home and Blooming Grove? But it also could have been a grudge? Here is one of the most complete stories I found of the shooting: Manhunt for a Cop-Hating Pennsylvania. In that link they say the Frein's brother lived in the same development as Frein's victim. They say that there is speculation that there might be a link - but we still do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I found this article on Frein: Who is Eric Frein? | Regional: Poconos & Coal - Home. I would still like to know more about the "military simulation unit" that has not been identified.

We have a State Police barracks in Swiftwater and that is closer than Blooming Grove. At this time we can only speculate why he went after Blooming Grove. It could have been his familiarity with the woods between his home and Blooming Grove? But it also could have been a grudge? Here is one of the most complete stories I found of the shooting: Manhunt for a Cop-Hating Pennsylvania. In that link they say the Frein's brother lived in the same development as Frein's victim. They say that there is speculation that there might be a link - but we still do not know.
I have a feeling they aren't revealing too much information yet to avoid interference with the investigation.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
I have a feeling they aren't revealing too much information yet to avoid interference with the investigation.
Yeah, during yesterday's news conference Colonel Bevins would gave some information but he withheld other information that might tip off the suspect if he was listening.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, during yesterday's news conference Colonel Bevins would gave some information but he withheld other information that might tip off the suspect if he was listening.
Seems to be standard operating procedure for these types of situations. Of course, then you always get the members of he public who think they should be entitled to every piece of info out there.

Some people have been complaining on BRC 13's social media pages that the manhunt should allow private citizens to take part, i.e.,"let the hunters hunt!" As one person put it.

Because that's such a great idea, letting tons of untrained people roam the woods carrying guns.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:

Because that's such a great idea, letting tons of untrained people roam the woods carrying guns.
Many of those hunters would be just as affective if not more than affective simply because they are going to know that area. The problem with doing that is all the idiots you would attract. .

Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Many of those hunters would be just as affective if not more than affective simply because they are going to know that area. The problem with doing that is all the idiots you would attract. .
Regardless of feelings, archery hunters will be going in our woods in less than two weeks. Some of them are already checking out their territory for signs of deer. Also many hunters will be using the warmer weather to target practice. The State Police have shut down some of the ranges - but many hunters will target practice on private land. That target practice will be more stressful on the police in this search and in return; to the hunters target practicing.

Now as far as the area around Bear Town Road, Lower and Upper Seese Hill Road; that area was notorious for shots fired at night. That is also the primary search area. Perhaps the area is not as bad for poaching as it was in the 1950's and 60's? Times do change.

As far as the problem with idiots: Could that be the downside of the high reward? $175,000 could be attractive to some.

The last police road closing is only about six and a half miles from our house - as the crow flies. I guess it is a good thing that I also shot on Pocono Mountain's rifle team?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
They know they area. They don't know how to deal with a fugitive. Leave it to the professionals. This isn't a Western.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
They know they area. They don't know how to deal with a fugitive. Leave it to the professionals. This isn't a Western.
LOL, you make is sound like LE has some magical powers over citizens. Do you really think some federal agent from say Philadelphia has a better chance of finding this guy or even surviving compared to an experienced hunter that has been in those woods their entire lives? I don't know if you understand what a true hunter does but the good ones don't rely on dumb luck. It's not a matter of simply standing in the woods and hoping a big buck walks by.

I'm not saying it's good idea but only because of the idiots you would attract but the "professionals" certainly aren't going to be any better than the right group of local outdoorsman.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It could quickly turn into a Western with an armed fugitive in the woods. All you have to have is a fugitive that doesn't want somebody to report his whereabouts and a sportsman that thinks they might get shot. Toss in some police that have been living stressed out for days. There are many factors that could lead up to a blood bath.

Frein is a good shot - but there are many other good shots around. Some are on our police force and some are just hunters or people that like to shoot. He is not infallible - he has already made many mistakes: He shot at and missed Police communications officer Nicole Palmer. Trooper Alex Douglass did survive the shot that was supposed to be lethal. I am sure he never expected to loose his parents jeep - that was the main reason his picture is on all of our billboards and all over TV.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
LOL, you make is sound like LE has some magical powers over citizens. Do you really think some federal agent from say Philadelphia has a better chance of finding this guy or even surviving compared to an experienced hunter that has been in those woods their entire lives? I don't know if you understand what a true hunter does but the good ones don't rely on dumb luck. It's not a matter of simply standing in the woods and hoping a big buck walks by.

I'm not saying it's good idea but only because of the idiots you would attract but the "professionals" certainly aren't going to be any better than the right group of local outdoorsman.
I grew up in rural Wyoming County. I am quite familiar with hunting, thank you. Agents understand and are trained on how to deal with these types of situations. Even the best hunter does not understand how to do what needs to be done to track a fugitive.

I'm really not going to argue this point further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania