Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 AM

31 posts, read 35,094 times

Advertisements

My finace has been there now since August 1st and enjoying it. I had to finish up some things in CT before we move but it looks like it's all coming together. My daughter and I should be there by month's end.

I like the neighborhood so far. We've visited and stayed multiple times. I also have a job offer awaiting finalization so that's good too! I spoke with the registrar and high school guidance counselor this week. I am a little annoyed I can't get a tour of the school in advance - they say they get that upon registration. Seems a little odd to me but I can't get anyone to budge on that. If any of you have any ideas there, I'd appreciate them...my daughter is a freshman this year but coming from a non-uniform school system and it would be nice to see the school and the students before her first day. I understand the need for safety but we are coming from out of state for goodness sake! My finace is pushing for parochial school but my daughter won't have it...so I'm okay with WVW because it's similar to the school she attends now, but a pre-tour would be beneficial.

On a totally other note...as I've walked the dogs I see all these snow evacuation route signs. Can anyone explain this to me? Does Kingston get buried in snow? What's the deal?

Also, we are getting to know the local eateries. There is a burger joint up here that does all fresh patties, fresh salads, hand cut fries, etc. I haven't been able to find anything similar in the Kingston area. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, sushi...there appear to be just one good sushi place in Wilkes Barre. Anything else we should try?

I can't wait to be solidly moved so we can start to really settle in...and get married November 1st!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genlilliana View Post
My finace has been there now since August 1st and enjoying it. I had to finish up some things in CT before we move but it looks like it's all coming together. My daughter and I should be there by month's end.

I like the neighborhood so far. We've visited and stayed multiple times. I also have a job offer awaiting finalization so that's good too!
Welcome and congratulations!

Quote:
I spoke with the registrar and high school guidance counselor this week. I am a little annoyed I can't get a tour of the school in advance - they say they get that upon registration. Seems a little odd to me but I can't get anyone to budge on that. If any of you have any ideas there, I'd appreciate them...my daughter is a freshman this year but coming from a non-uniform school system and it would be nice to see the school and the students before her first day. I understand the need for safety but we are coming from out of state for goodness sake! My finace is pushing for parochial school but my daughter won't have it...so I'm okay with WVW because it's similar to the school she attends now, but a pre-tour would be beneficial.
Welcome to public school in NEPA where you aren't welcomed in the school until its too late to back out. Love the teachers in our district (Wilkes-Barre), hate most everything else. The arbitrary rules, the walls administration put up to parents and the community, the total lack of progressive ideas from most in administration (and the always negative reaction to such ideas) really tests my patience as well.

When we were thinking of moving to the west side years ago, we called two of the elementary schools to schedule a tour. We were greeted with a big, fat no. They cited safety reasons. I call BS. They have utility workers, para-educators, vendors and others coming and going every day. No reason to disallow school tours.

Its symptomatic of a larger issue that has infected every area of public government services here. They all want to hide from the public at large. They do not want to be held accountable so they just block the public access as much as possible. Until more parents raise a fuss nothing will change. You will soon see apathy rules in this area, save for a small, dedicated group. Unfortunately that group of people simply lacks the manpower needed to make change here.

Quote:
On a totally other note...as I've walked the dogs I see all these snow evacuation route signs. Can anyone explain this to me? Does Kingston get buried in snow? What's the deal?

Also, we are getting to know the local eateries. There is a burger joint up here that does all fresh patties, fresh salads, hand cut fries, etc. I haven't been able to find anything similar in the Kingston area. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, sushi...there appear to be just one good sushi place in Wilkes Barre. Anything else we should try?

I can't wait to be solidly moved so we can start to really settle in...and get married November 1st!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Local eateries you should try:

Abe's Hot Dogs. There are several locations in the area. Wyoming Ave., Kingston; South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre; Barney Street, Wilkes-Barre.

Red Leaf Salad Co | Dallas, PA

Leaf & Ladle - Home

Frog Pond Pizza Coal Street, Wilkes-Barre

Maers BBQ | The Best Butt in Town

Circles on the Square, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Canteen 900 - Real Food. Real PeopleCanteen 900 | Real Food. Real People

Peking Chef

Goldstein's Deli | 200 Pierce St Kingston, PA 18704 | Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Super Buffet World near the Price Chopper is quite good and they have great sushi. Antonio's Pizza in the same plaza is also very good.

The supermarket you will most likely find to be the best for quality and prices is Wegmans over on Highland Park Blvd. in Wilkes-Barre. For Mexican, there is a great place not far from Wegmans called La Tolteca and the Chinese Buffet in the Walmart Complex is pretty good as well as Nello's Pizza.

Don't worry about being snowed in, Kingston plows pretty well and it is a low lying area so it stays a bit warmer there.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:23 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
I've been to La Tolteca and it was a great experience considering other B.S. so-called Mexican joints I've been to in my time....definitely worth visiting....

Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM

134 posts, read 292,691 times
On the subject of schools it would probably be worth investigating what the 9th grade curriculum is. When I was in school
I remember many out of area transplants being at least a year ahead of everyone else. The bulk of students are taking algebra in 9th grade while I know that algebra is standard curriculum for many 7th graders in more progressive areas. In my senior class we actually had a 16 year old partially due to this. Appropriate placing requires some due diligence on behalf of the administration witch Magritte25 already expounded upon.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM

31 posts, read 35,094 times
I think this is going to be a BIG step back for my daughter...school wise. She is in her 2nd year of French - honors and Geometry as she had Algebra 1 last year; honors science and she's in the high level classes for all her other curriculum. So, I am very concerned. My fiance wants her in the parochial school but my daughter isn't having that at all. So, it's a back up if this public school doesn't pan out. I am also very sad that no school in the area has a strong arts program. That is an area my daughter flourishes in. She is leaving a photography arts class that she is heartbroken about and all I get from WVW is how great their general arts are. Not the same...BUT, we will explore other avenues there...I already contacted the community college and received some helpful information.

My fiance wants to be there to register her at school because he wants to make sure she doesn't get shorted...I just don't want it to be uncomfortable for my daughter as he will be pushy. He is not going to let administration slide...he wants my daughter to have a really good education and if her choice is public school, fine - but he's not willing to let the school off the hook so easily.

So school is going to be interesting to say the very least...has anyone had any luck arguing class placememnt? If I push her guidance counselor will I get anywhere?

Thanks for the eatery suggestions...we have only been to Sweet Treat and Ollies so far...and chinese place for take out but I forget the name.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
I think this is going to be a BIG step back for my daughter...school wise. She is in her 2nd year of French - honors and Geometry as she had Algebra 1 last year; honors science and she's in the high level classes for all her other curriculum. So, I am very concerned. My fiance wants her in the parochial school but my daughter isn't having that at all. So, it's a back up if this public school doesn't pan out. I am also very sad that no school in the area has a strong arts program. That is an area my daughter flourishes in. She is leaving a photography arts class that she is heartbroken about and all I get from WVW is how great their general arts are. Not the same...BUT, we will explore other avenues there...I already contacted the community college and received some helpful information.

My fiance wants to be there to register her at school because he wants to make sure she doesn't get shorted...I just don't want it to be uncomfortable for my daughter as he will be pushy. He is not going to let administration slide...he wants my daughter to have a really good education and if her choice is public school, fine - but he's not willing to let the school off the hook so easily.
If you can afford it, I'd recommend a private school. If you honestly think she is going to be stepping backwards then that is the best course of action.

If you are going to keep her at WVW, you must be pushy about her placement. Bring her report cards, letters from teachers, anything you have to bolster your case. I know you don't want to be pushy, but trust me, you have to be around here.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you can afford it, I'd recommend a private school. If you honestly think she is going to be stepping backwards then that is the best course of action.

If you are going to keep her at WVW, you must be pushy about her placement. Bring her report cards, letters from teachers, anything you have to bolster your case. I know you don't want to be pushy, but trust me, you have to be around here.
Can't that don't meow don't get no milk!! So unless you stand up for your daughter you aren't going to get what you expect!! Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania