Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
BRAVO! Well said my friend.
Thanks Bloomin! PennDOT, especially in Monroe County, gets me angry. I have been at odds with them for years. I might even call up and complain after I stop typing! Although not just Monroe County; but other counties also do what I call 'election year blacktop'. Our DOT will apply just a thin layer of asphalt to roads before key elections. It holds up until the election is over. Taxpayers pay to have it laid and we pay again to mill it up in just a year or two. It makes our incumbents look like they are doing something - in reality; they are picking our pockets three ways (free advertisement, applying the paving and ripping it up).

As a truck driver I have driven through many states. I know states that, in my opinion, do the job right. I would like to see us just as good as the best other states.

This year PennDOT did have the section of Route 611 repaved from Swiftwater to Mount Pocono. It was thicker than their usual 2 inches. But it is still asphalt over old cracked concrete. I do expect cracks to appear by next Spring (I don't know why we don't require our contractors to warranty their work)? One other thing they did, when repaving, is they did not raise the culvert grate by the Amber Club in Swiftwater. That one grate is about five inches below grade and, if you go off on the shoulder of 611, it could easily damage your vehicle.

Sorry; I just get worked up! My favorite subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,928,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thanks Bloomin! PennDOT, especially in Monroe County, gets me angry. I have been at odds with them for years. I might even call up and complain after I stop typing! Although not just Monroe County; but other counties also do what I call 'election year blacktop'. Our DOT will apply just a thin layer of asphalt to roads before key elections. It holds up until the election is over. Taxpayers pay to have it laid and we pay again to mill it up in just a year or two. It makes our incumbents look like they are doing something - in reality; they are picking our pockets three ways (free advertisement, applying the paving and ripping it up).

As a truck driver I have driven through many states. I know states that, in my opinion, do the job right. I would like to see us just as good as the best other states.

This year PennDOT did have the section of Route 611 repaved from Swiftwater to Mount Pocono. It was thicker than their usual 2 inches. But it is still asphalt over old cracked concrete. I do expect cracks to appear by next Spring (I don't know why we don't require our contractors to warranty their work)? One other thing they did, when repaving, is they did not raise the culvert grate by the Amber Club in Swiftwater. That one grate is about five inches below grade and, if you go off on the shoulder of 611, it could easily damage your vehicle.

Sorry; I just get worked up! My favorite subject!
Once again I totally agree! While I have not been to every state in the Union the roads heer are the worst I have ever driven on. The accident I was in at the Gap was because I hydroplaned AND that happened because of improper drainage!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Once again I totally agree! While I have not been to every state in the Union the roads heer are the worst I have ever driven on. The accident I was in at the Gap was because I hydroplaned AND that happened because of improper drainage!
Bloomin; wasn't that on the Jersey side?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:36 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,928,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Bloomin; wasn't that on the Jersey side?
Lol, yeah I forgot! So the Jersey system wanted to be friendly to PennDot so they did their work the PA way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania