Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 170,475 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2014.

Hi...I'm curious how easy and frequent are APCP Dresser Lake, lake front homes rent able for vacationers? How easy are they to rent out and at what general price per week/per day for a 4 Bedrooms, newly renovated, new appliances, etc etc.. Right on the lake.

Thanks in advance for the reality check for us.

tx,
Dan

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-07-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM

472 posts, read 772,308 times
I live 2 blocks from the lake and 3 years ago I met a guy who rented on Lake Dresser and he paid $2500 for the week. Now if you ask me he got ripped. I mean Dresser Lake is not for swimming. Lake Dresser has some good fishing but it is a catch and release lake. So basically it is for boating and getting eaten alive at night by bugs. So the truth of the matter is it depends on your conscience. Someone who is out of state doesn't know the area might rent for $2500 but they would never rent again next year. If you keep the price at about $1300 you will probably have more steady renters and maybe a few repeat customers. If you had may be a rowboat or peddle boat and a 2 person kayak on site with life jackets, I'm sure that would make it more appealing also. It is a beautiful place with beautiful wild life and a picture perfect sky on a clear night. When I spoke to the gentleman that rented the house for $2500 I told him your not gonna like what I say. You could buy a house off the lake for $5000 a year and go anytime you wanted lol. He was shocked how cheap the houses were in APCP...

Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Thanks Sarge! Why isn't swimming on Dresser Lake good?...i've only seen it in the fall and it looks great! I saw the no swimming sign by the Club House, but then I was also told that that was just meant for the Club House beach area as there isn't a life guard. Otherwise, I heard people regularly swim the lake in the summer by their homes?

Regarding bugs...they only come out uncomfortably at night or also during the day?

Lastly, lets say I do keep the price down, how easy is it to rent week to week/day to day?

tx,

Dan

Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM

472 posts, read 772,308 times
Default Dresser Lake

No one ever swims Dresser Lake. Firstly its loaded with water moccasin snakes. I was told this is why they sometimes refer the place as snake lake. There are also many branched plants/reefs/weeds that you can get snagged on n potentially drown. I met a person who sunk in a boat on the lake some years ago and he said it discolored his clothing so bad he threw them out. He also told me there is a very, very deep whole in the lake that no one has ever reached the bottom of. How true that is I don't know. It is a man made lake so I find it hard to believe but you never know.

As far as how often will it be rented out for the year I'd say not very often.If you rented it out 4 times in the summer I'd consider that a successful season. Remember this is not the Jersey Shore and the area just doesn't draw the people in like it did 20 years ago.

Bugs brutal at night mostly but really only by the lake. My house at night isn't so bad. Use the bug light bulbs where you have lower lighting outside and regular security lighting on your motion detector lights. Keep them higher off the ground so the bugs stay higher away from the ground.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Thanks Sarge....this insight is great....anyone else with Lake Dresser experience/thoughts to help share?

Old 06-06-2020, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
No one ever swims Dresser Lake. Firstly its loaded with water moccasin snakes. I was told this is why they sometimes refer the place as snake lake. There are also many branched plants/reefs/weeds that you can get snagged on n potentially drown. I met a person who sunk in a boat on the lake some years ago and he said it discolored his clothing so bad he threw them out. He also told me there is a very, very deep whole in the lake that no one has ever reached the bottom of. How true that is I don't know. It is a man made lake so I find it hard to believe but you never know.

As far as how often will it be rented out for the year I'd say not very often.If you rented it out 4 times in the summer I'd consider that a successful season. Remember this is not the Jersey Shore and the area just doesn't draw the people in like it did 20 years ago.

Bugs brutal at night mostly but really only by the lake. My house at night isn't so bad. Use the bug light bulbs where you have lower lighting outside and regular security lighting on your motion detector lights. Keep them higher off the ground so the bugs stay higher away from the ground.

My lake house is right on Dresser Lake and I have rented to guests and I have gotten enough questions about snakes in the lake from this post that I feel I need to clear up the misperceptions.

Dresser Lake IS NOT LOADED WITH WATER MOCASSIN SNAKES. This is completely untrue and false.

My kids and many guests have swam in the lake many, many times and nobody saw any snakes. There are a bunch of lake houses around the lake who rents to guests as well and I see them swimming the lake all the time and did not hear anything about snakes. I would not be saying this if I don't think it's safe to swim in the lake.

That said, lakes are natural bodies of water and have wildlife in and around them, so if you do see an occasional snake (I haven't), it is most likely a water snake and harmless. They keep to the reeds, so common sense tells you not to swim near the reeds (it is muddy and slimy anyway), so if you follow that and swim in the middle of the lake, you will most likely not see any snakes. For the rare chance that you see a snake, just swim away from it, they are actually afraid of humans and most will not attack unless provoked. I know this because I've dealt with a few snakes before (king cobra included).

There are bald eagles, beavers, deers, ducks and fish of all kinds in Dresser Lake. I would imagine if there are snakes, they wouldn't be swimming in the middle of the lake as the eagles would pick them off.

Anyway, I hope this clears the air about snakes. Dresser Lake is a safe & beautiful lake, great for fishing and swimming. You can cook and eat the fish you catch (over a certain size). The housing association regularly restock the lake with fish. We are very fortunate to have a lake house on Dresser Lake.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:39 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,111,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acck View Post
My lake house is right on Dresser Lake and I have rented to guests and I have gotten enough questions about snakes in the lake from this post that I feel I need to clear up the misperceptions.
You do realize this post you responded to is from 2014....correct??

Last edited by DavidWebb; 06-06-2020 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 06-06-2020, 03:13 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
You do realize this post you responded to is from 2014....correct??
But he is correct; there are no moccasins that we know of in the Poconos. I did hear they found one in Philadelphia harbor; but they usually do not come that far north. Southern NJ has a few.

What we do have here are the water snakes. They will bite if you try to pick them up. They don't like to be held and sometimes will defend their territory. But they are not poisonous; just a little painful and scary that you got bit by a snake.

I once worked for a resort that was downstream from a swamp. It had so many water snakes that many times I had hot dogs coming out the discharge chute of the lawn tractor when I mowed the grass around their lake. Vacationers hate to step on water snakes! But it always got a rise out of them and memorable moments in the Poconos!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,111,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They don't like to be held....
I don't think any snake likes to be held!!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:00 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I don't think any snake likes to be held!!
Years ago I used to like to hand fish. It is illegal today to hand fish in PA. Probably they found out how many I could catch? But one of the problems with hand fishing is that you are reaching under rocks in the rivers. Every once and a while I would think I had a nice fish and find out that I had a snake instead! Of course the snake had me at the same time I had it. Water snakes do not like to be held and can scare the heck out of you when you are not expecting one in your hands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania