Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:27 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I didn't get that either "Scranton style".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM

I think Cooper's is overrated too. I think we should all take Dan's suggestion and head on over to the Harbor House on Keyser Ave. He says it blows Cooper's away. They get their fish fresh every other day from the Fulton Street fish market in New York. Let's all go together and have a lovefest!!!

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 12-31-2007 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-31-2007, 02:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Let's all go together and have a lovefest!!!
Eeerrmmm...need I remind you of who you're talking to here?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Not that way Paul. LOL. We all need to come to some common point here on this forum. I agree the Scranton bashing can get out of hand sometimes and I do it a lot myself, but I'm just being honest.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
Biting my tongue......

Old 12-31-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Not that way Paul. LOL. We all need to come to some common point here on this forum. I agree the Scranton bashing can get out of hand sometimes and I do it a lot myself, but I'm just being honest.
The problem is that I agree with most of what Dan says, but he never seems to mitigate his negativity with something positive about the city. For example, he could have posted a thread last summer about his Lower Green Ridge block party (perhaps with a few photos) and about how he swelled with pride for his city after bonding so closely with his neighbors. I would have loved to have attended to see what a TRUE neighborhood gathering looks like if I didn't have work. Instead he only thinks of ways that he can slam the mayor/council into the ground more and more. I'm well aware that the city's political and financial situations aren't rosy, but why let those two issues overshadow everything else? I don't hide the 3.4% wage tax from folks who ponder moving to the city, nor do I hide the potholes, inept politicians, etc. The problem is that Dan dwells on these things. I don't agree with most of the current administration's actions, but on the same token I don't think Scranton is about to fall into the third layer of hell because of the mayor and council. Six people alone can't cause the other 71,994 to suffer if they band together to make this city a better place to live WITHOUT relying on their government to fix all of their problems.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Paul you do make some good points. I will try not to bash Scranton in 2008. I will just keep saving my pesos and then move out of Dodge. Like the old saying goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I will follow that adage in the future.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Instead he only thinks of ways that he can slam the mayor/council into the ground more and more. I'm well aware that the city's political and financial situations aren't rosy, but why let those two issues overshadow everything else? ... The problem is that Dan dwells on these things.
It's not just Dan who does it. Otherwise, that post is pretty much right on the money.

So the bisque sucked. Make a mental note not to order it there again.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Agreed about the bisque. Don't blame a whole city on bad soup. You can get bad soup in even the greatest of cities, so I don't see the parallel.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Paul you do make some good points. I will try not to bash Scranton in 2008. I will just keep saving my pesos and then move out of Dodge. Like the old saying goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I will follow that adage in the future.
You can feel free to "bash" Scranton as long as you mitigate it somewhat with an occasional "pick-me-up." Dan grates on my nerves quite a bit because if you were to listen to him you'd think that there is no reason to have hope for a future in the city. He simply echoes the dozens of other friends, relatives, and even teachers who have been telling me lately "Get the hell out of NEPA while you still can!" I swear nobody wants me to stay here. When he gets up on his rants about $650,000,000 debts, "high" property taxes (which are really in-line with the rest of the region), corruption, etc., it's just very depressing.

If Dan would go off on these rants but perhaps once a month post a thread about something he LIKES about the city I'd be much more content. As I said it would be nice if he told us about the great experience and carmaraderie he enjoyed at his block party. It would also be nice if he'd shine the light upon the Deacon Street Promise, for example, and how they've been working to help fire victims in their neighborhood. He could also mention how Bob Bolus offered to donate his resources to help Junior City Council when they were having the dispute with city council over the placement of their handicapped-accessible swingset. These are just three examples of GOOD things happening in your fair city that are overshadowed by rants about disastrous Doherty debts and a gestapo for a city council.

Anyone who ponders moving to the city will backpedal and turn 180 degrees if they think people are seemingly suffering there. The only way to improve Scranton is to lure more tax payers there. The only way to lure more tax payers there is to give them reasons to come (as I try to do). People don't want to move to a city where everyone seems angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania