Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

we are looking for some ideas for places within 30 miles or so of lake wallenpaupack to take photos. it should offer at least a few hours of good stuff to make it worth while. i already have bush gardens on the list for the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are looking for some ideas for places within 30 miles or so of lake wallenpaupack to take photos. it should offer at least a few hours of good stuff to make it worth while. i already have bush gardens on the list for the spring.
I personally liked taking a day out of my hectic schedule to saunter up Route 97 in Upstate NY along the Delaware River, passing through small towns like Narrowsburg and Callicoon before crossing the bridge back into PA at Damascus. If you're feeling more ambitious you could continue driving northward to Hancock, NY before heading back into PA and then driving south through Northern Wayne County. You could also start at Port Jervis as your southernmost point for this tour, but I don't think there's much of a photographic interest there. The biggest draw here is the natural scenery, which has attracted many artists and retirees to this region. ontheroad and MermanMike both live in this general area and could probably be of better help to give you the "low down." I myself just meandered around aimlessly and enjoyed myself immensely. I'm a city boy at heart, but my soul enjoyed its natural catharsis.

If you're ever feeling ambitious you might want to spend a romantic weekend in Tioga County. Just take U.S. Route 6 West for about three hours until you hit Wellsboro, a quaint country town with Victorian gas lanterns. Just west of there is the PA Grand Canyon, which is quite a beautiful sight to behold.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,487 times
If you want to be close to Lake Wallenpaupack, you could try Promised Land State Park. There are lots of trails to bike or walk, and since it's close by, it might be fun to do some of the same shots for all four seasons.

I often find the best scenery by just taking a drive along the back roads of the area. There are some beautiful views and you can often find old farms, stone houses, and waterfalls where you least expect them.

BTW, where is the "bush gardens" that you mentioned?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,125 times
A photo tour along the Delaware would indeed be beautiful. If you take 191 N from Honesdale, and then go east on 371 toward Callicoon you'll find some of the most bucolic scenery you could ever imagine. And then, you'll end up at a spectacular spot on the Delaware river for eagle watching.

Another spot--it's been mentioned before, but Rickett's Glen is probably the most scenic place in PA. I think it was rated Outside magazine's number one spot in the country for nature photography. And, it's practically in our back yards. It is probably triple the thirty mile radius you mentioned, but definitely worth the trip.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 AM

910 posts, read 2,991,315 times
There's a hot spring over near milford that I heard is spectacular

Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,125 times
Ooh, a hot spring! I didn't realize there was one so close. Do you know whereabouts?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,963,904 times
How about DeNaples landfill?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I have always loved the view from the top of Dickson City area up by Wegmans, looking down onto Scranton at night especially.
Or that overview site which is on ( is that 309) coming in from the top of the mountian looking down upon Scranton. Looking down upon a city with the night-time lights is always awesome.
I bet there is some good shots at Harveys Lake in the Summer.
There is a waterfalls just as you get into the Hickory Run State Park.
Boulder Field would make a good picture at that location also.
Being up top of Camelback was fun this fall. I bet there is some great skiing shots to be had there or in the many other ski areas.......

Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Ooh, a hot spring! I didn't realize there was one so close. Do you know whereabouts?
I hope it's secluded; I've always wanted to try skinny-dipping.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,020 times
Parade Day is March 15 this year. Plenty of photo ops there, I'm sure.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania