Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

76 posts, read 366,021 times

Advertisements

I posted this a few days ago, but after searching the web,found out I had the name wrong. This is the correct name. I am looking for someone who knows if it is still in business. It is outside of Troy, in Bradford county. It is true camping, tents only, in the middle of the woods, far from anything.

Has anyone else ever gone there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
I searched on Woodalls.com and GoRVing.com and could not come up with this particular campground. It's probably either closed, or under new ownership with a new name.

Here are the ones I did come up with in the area:

Riverside Acres Campground in TOWANDA
Bucktail Camping Resort in MANSFIELD
Worlds End State Park in FORKSVILLE
Gardner Hill Campground in LOWMAN, NEW YORK
Pine Cradle Lake Family Campground in ROME
Tanglewood Camping in COVINGTON
Ives Run Recreaton Area (Corps of Engineers - Hammond Lake) in TIOGA
RVs Mountaintop Campground in TIOGA
Tompkins Recreation Area (Corps of Engineers - Cowanesque Lake) in LAWRENCEVILLE
Ferenbaugh Campsites in CORNING, NEW YORK

Last edited by Dawne; 01-04-2008 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: added names

Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

75 posts, read 408,378 times
Hey, I live in Sylvania. As far as I know Armenia Mtn Campground is still in business, but I think the primary emphasis is on the seasonal people that have gone their for eons. It's quite small, I would recommend checking out those on the list above. Bonin Lake in Rome is also very nice with a lake and even a roller skating rink. I've heard Bucktail is expensive. If you're goal is to be close to Armenia Mtn, Tanglewood is the closest as it's on the western backside of the mountain. BTW, Armenia Mtn Campground is not in Sylvania or Troy, rather it's a few miles up Mountain Ave heading out of Sylvania from Rt. 6. However, our addresses in Sylvania are all Troy unless you pay for a PO box.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 AM

76 posts, read 366,021 times
thanks bunches, chad. I am looking for the most primitive place there is. This one came to mind. If it is still there, then we will plan on it for our hiking vacation. I didn't realize tanglewood was that close. I will check that out too.

We stayed at Bucktail over by mansfield before. Lots to do there.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,728 times
This campground is still there. But no tent camping, it's all mainly trailers now. I was just there earlier today, and I have to say, it's gone down in quality. There's a burned down trailer in one of the spots and a boat, sitting in the middle of a road. What use to be a nice place to stay, now isn't.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Hikercentral.com has a few other sites on their list.

Both Worlds End SP and Colton Point have tent sites as well as walk in tent sites which might give you a little more privacy.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM

75 posts, read 408,378 times
well if you're looking for primitive tent sites on Armenia, I know of a place on state land up there where there's restrooms/latrines, laid out sites, water, garbage removal along a nice stream. There's also a pavilion or maybe two and some of those charcoal grills one finds in parks. It's not a state park though, I believe it's part of the State Forest. It's not very well-known other than by locals who use it for picnicing in the warmer months and I believe the camping is free or you simply have to inform the ranger station you're there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania