Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times

Advertisements

I disagree on the light show. The venue is perfect at Nay Aug; it's out of the way and won't clog city streets with gawkers, not that you could even use the square it it's current state, plus the lights can be seen from 81, which no doubt draws the attention of thousands of motorists in a week's time. Free advertisement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
not that you could even use the square it it's current state
The "revamped" Courthouse Square looks AWFUL. Leave it to Bob Cordaro to mess up something esthetically-appealing.

Quote:
plus the lights can be seen from 81, which no doubt draws the attention of thousands of motorists in a week's time. Free advertisement.
Exactly my sentiments. I was driving out toward Milford to pick up my partner on New Year's Eve when I noticed the "REJOICE" sign in all big letters from I-81. That reminded me the display was there and he and I went to go check it out before heading to a house party in Duryea. It was thanks to the visibility from the highway that I remembered it was there, and it lured us (and I'm sure many others) into the city to scope it out.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
St. Patricks day and New Years Eve are the two single largest drinking holidays that exist. CHS89 and Paul can comeback all they wwant about what they saw and that they had no problems, wow. Take the booze out of the picture and then see what the turn out will be like.
I enjoyed ringing in the New Year and wwatching the fireworks, over a few cocktails, with my family from a friends house in South Side. Leave me out of your teatotalling wwhining, Dan.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I enjoyed ringing in the New Year and wwatching the fireworks, over a few cocktails, with my family from a friends house in South Side. Leave me out of your teatotalling wwhining, Dan.

There's a difference between a few cocktails and a few 6 packs....

Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between a few cocktails and a few 6 packs....
Yes, six-packs are better!

http://www.randywarren.net/image/12320857_scaled_256x192.jpg (broken link)

Sorry! I just HAD to break the tension in this thread a bit before Dan started getting all of us into headlocks!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Now we're really getting away from the intent of the original thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Poochie is now closed. Shenk & Tittle and Cronin's in the mall have closed and Suncoast video is also closing. How many more business's do we have to lose until they realize that there is no incentive for a company to stay?
Well, for one, I would say there just isn't a market for gourmet doggie biscuits here. This is Scranton, not Beverly Hills. The owner should have done some market research before going into that venture. That's pretty much day 1 of Marketing 101.

As for Suncoast video....that's just a sign of the mall at Steamtown being a failing venture. It was a dumb decision to put an indoor suburban-type mall into a downtown area to begin with. Plus, indoor malls are a dinosaur these days. They used to brag that it was the only mall built in America in 1993. The real reason for that is that nobody has been building indoor malls anymore. They're kind of a relic from the 60's and 70's. The only reason the Viewmont Mall will still be successful is its location in a busy shopping area. If they were thinking with the times, they would have turned Lackawanna Ave into an outdoor "lifestyle center" similar to the Shoppes at Montage. That would have had the downtown bustling again. Instead we're stuck with a white elephant that will grow emptier every year.

Although Cronin's closing in the mall is a different story. It was only a seasonal shop set up for the holidays. Cronin's permanent store is still on Keyser Ave.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I agree. The full length of lackawanna ave should have been closed to cars and turned into a walking mall. Pearl st in Boulder CO or even the old mill in Wilmington NC are perfect examples of a outdoor walking malls that have been a huge success for their cities.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM

173 posts, read 582,239 times
I just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread being a local business owner in the poconos. It is harder and harder for 'mom and pop' shops to compete no matter the field they are in. All the big corporations are pulling all the business from the mom and pop shops. Go to Walmart.. what can't you buy at walmart? exactly, that is the kind of one stop shopping people look for. They go to walmart they can get their kids school clothes, a new laptop, and tires for their car. All at one stop and at cheaper prices then what you'd get at a 'dedicated' shop.

Of course there is still a market for the smaller shops being that they are more friendly, provide better service, and usually provide better quality parts since they are specailzing in one field, and not 50. However not everyone cares about these aspects and in this day and age it seems to only be price price price that matters.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I agree. The full length of lackawanna ave should have been closed to cars and turned into a walking mall. Pearl st in Boulder CO or even the old mill in Wilmington NC are perfect examples of a outdoor walking malls that have been a huge success for their cities.
I had a thread about this very same subject on DohertyDeceit before Mr. Gestapo took the broom out on me and swept me away for being a whippersnapper. I compared the pre-mall scene of Lackawanna Avenue in Downtown Scranton to Downtown Ithaca, New York, which can be seen here:

As you can see here several city blocks were closed to traffic and turned into a pedestrian plaza lined with restored historic buildings that housed specialty shops and restaurants. The interior featured benches, dining tables, vendors, and even a playground. Trees were abundant. THIS could have been Lackawanna Avenue in Downtown Scranton had city officials not latched onto false hopes that an indoor shopping mall would "save" their downtown at a time when those very same shopping areas were becoming stale. Now as we can see with the Shoppes at Montage, consumers want to shop in downtown areas like that again. The Shoppes at Montage could have very easily been housed entirely in Downtown Scranton in restored brick buildings. Instead we have the promotion of urban sprawl while a historic city center continues to decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania