Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 AM

703 posts, read 1,539,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjm View Post
i still think this is the same person that was posting on other forums. if it is she neglected to tell you her brother confessed to the crime of molesting a boy.
Those corrupt police must have coerced the confession, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Bjm

26 posts, read 97,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Those corrupt police must have coerced the confession, right?

nope, i think he blurted it out when he was arrested............

Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,072 times
I decided to join this site just to post in this thread. I know all too well how the OP must feel. I spent 19 years growing up in PA. Was born in Scranton CMC, lived in Tunkannock until I was 13 and then moved to Camptown, Pa. Though I lived in Camptown till I moved out of state I still spent much of my youth in Tunkhannock. Dated girls in that town, hung out with friends & family there etc.

First I'd like to say I think Tunkhannock is a beautiful place to live. I have many good memories from there and I still think of it often. I look forward to the day I bring my wife and children (to be) to Tunk. for vacation so that I can show and share some of the beautiful places I remember. I grew up there in the 70's and 80's (born in '72) and though I know the town has grown (I hear they have a walmart across the river bridge now) I'm sure a lot of what made Tunk such a nice place to live still exists.

As for the local, state police and judicial system; well Its a known fact that they have been cought being corrupted in the past. Shadow Brook should ring a bell for those old enough to remember. Anyway, the police do what they want and the judges sentence people for just about anything under the sun. of course Wyoming County Correctional Inst. is a money earner for the county. The State pays the county to house these inmates. Its a fact that come county budget funding time each year that the jail some how fills up to more inmates that can be housed and cots are then brought in to hold the 'extra inmates' while the county gets the most money they can from the State for the following years budget. I have seen it and know how they work it.

1st time offenders get nailed hard and if you do commit a crime they try very hard to not give you the chance to reform. They will hound you and be a constant in your life just waiting for you to slip up once, (have a drink out with friends etc) and then back to jail you go. I watched this happen to many people when I moved back to PA for a job when I was in my early twenties. I stayed for a few years and decided I didn't like the way the Govt. handled things and moved on.

The Lawyers in that town work very closely with the Police and court and the few times I saw an outside lawyer come in to defend a client they were shunned and were made to feel unwelcome. Small town mentality all the way.

In the end if you commit a crime you should pay the price but I have seen people wrongly accused and sentenced. It can happen anywhere but it seems to happen often in Tunkhannock.

It just so happens that I have family in the Police Force in a local area to Tunkhannock. (Not Tunk itself)

Personally I am a law abiding, ethical, man with a loving wife and with any luck a child by next year. I would have no issues living in Tunkhannock, PA with my family but alas I am used to city living here in California and I'm not quite ready for the slow small town life. I do look forward to heading back to Tunk for a vacation and maybe grabbing a footlong at the Tasty Freeze if it is still in operation, or maybe a icecream cone over at Shadow Brook.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,930,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Marauder View Post
I do look forward to heading back to Tunk for a vacation and maybe grabbing a footlong at the Tasty Freeze if it is still in operation, or maybe a icecream cone over at Shadow Brook.
I wouldn't get too excited these days over Shadow Brook Ice Cream....it was taken over a few years ago by Perkins.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,072 times
Really? It used to be so good.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:17 PM

923 posts, read 3,081,799 times
I can't believe I'm going to admit this but, I remember when Shadowbrook
did make their own ice cream. The barn and cows were where the club and
motel is now !!! And the dairy bar was incredibly packed every night of
the week in the summer. And I'm only 60

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM

923 posts, read 3,081,799 times
Hmmmm, small town USA ... Ain't life grand ?? I have live outside of Tunk. for 60 years - enough said !!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM

182 posts, read 501,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I can't believe I'm going to admit this but, I remember when Shadowbrook
did make their own ice cream. The barn and cows were where the club and
motel is now !!! And the dairy bar was incredibly packed every night of
the week in the summer. And I'm only 60
I remember going to Shadowbrook for Ice Cream in the summers when I was a kid. It was one of the few places open on Sundays, due to the Blue Laws. It was always an adventure, I think the car always made it home on empty.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,238,184 times
I just randomly found this thread. Grew up in the area and my parents now live int he middle of town. I am sure Tunkhannock and Wyoming County aren't alone in have a few bad apples in various departments, but it is and was a great place to raise a family. I can only hope a good job there opens up so I can move back.

PS my prom was at the Brook and yes, the Ice cream was awesome! the memories...

Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,388 times
I was thinking about moving to the Factoryville-Tunkhannock area. How is that area on renting a decent house? Does anyone know of anything available? I guess I'm looking for something cheap but nice and clean and modern. Maybe, if you have any ideas you could write to me privately. I'm looking for something around $700 or less with 2 or more bedrooms and more than one bathroom. I'm moving up from Alabama after my ex husband finds a good place to live. Yes, I'm getting back with my long lost ex husband after 32 years! Now I just need someplace nice to live up there before I pack up and move. Is there any places with land for rent? I'd love to have a garden. I'm going to try to revive my decorative painting on wood business, so I'd need a workshop or garage or both. Are people still interested in arts & crafts up there? Or is the economy really bad up that way? If anyone has any comments about the best area to live in, or the worst areas to avoid living in, I'd love to hear about all of that. Please, I need your help and wisdom. Moving is a very big deal for me (I've had 3 back surgeries and moving is going to kill my back) and I want to only move once, not have to move repeatedly in the next few years. I'm hoping to find the perfect place right away, that's why I need your wisdom about that area. Thank you everyone. I'm new here and I hope putting this up here is okay. I love all the photos of that area that everyone has put up. They make me think I'm not making a mistake moving back up to that area. I lived in Brodheadsville up until 1978 and it sure has changed since then. My mom still lives up there, and I haven't been to visit since 1991. (I know, shame on me, but every other year I seem to be having some sort of surgery on my back, so it's hard to travel.) Anyone have any ideas for me on where to move to? Factoryville sounded nice, but is there any homes for rent there? Modern homes, with dishwashers and off street parking... I just can't parallel park. Oh well, I've gone on enough. Forgive me the long post. I just wanted to give you a very brief history. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania