Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 05:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,226 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Brooklyn, in a 2 family home (my parents home since 1958). After they passed my brother inherited the house. He passed away last year and now his widow (who inherited the house) no longer wants us living in my childhood home, a home that I was raised in, that I raised my children in... we are being forced out. We have very limited low funds due to helping her financially the past year following my brothers death and cannot afford to live in NYC, we have very low funds to even live in PA. My husband will have to commute to Brooklyn for work, he works for the NYCTA and has 8 more years until retirement. So we decided we would live separately and he would commute to Pa only on weekends. Our daughter, who is done with college will be moving to Va to continue her education, so she is not a worry.
Our son, who is in high school, will hopefully be attending Notre Dame Jr/Sr HS come the fall since it is very much like his current school. Since there will be the cost of private school, it keeps our look for a prospective home in a very low price range.
My worry, my question is, what is a good area, community, with low price homes, low taxes and low HOA fees that is safe crime wise. We have no other recourse and could really use some good solid advice, Please give this mom some help in trying to help her family. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Do you want to buy or rent? How close to the city do you want to be? Where is this Notre Dame school? If it's in the city, where will your boy live? If the boy will stay with you, are you looking for a good public school district or must he attend Catholic school? If you intend to buy, what price range? If you want to rent, what's the maximum rent? Clarify these things and folks on this forum may be able to answer your questions.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM

We would like to buy if possible, but rent or buy, monthly mortgage, taxes, fees or rent could not exceed $700/month.
Notre Dame Jr/Sr HS is located in East Stroudsburg, PA 18301. My son would live with me in Pa as to attend ND HS, husband would stay in NYC during work week.
We are looking for anything, foreclosures, townhouse, single family with at least 2 bedrooms and 1-2 bathrooms. If townhouse or rental, would need to allow pets as we have 2 dogs, 2 medium size, 1 small.
We are also very concerned, we do not want to be a in high crime area, gangs, robberies, break ins, etc.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:31 AM

I have been doing a search on my own and see a lot of homes available in Penn Estates... is that a good community??

Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
There are plenty of foreclosures around, but be advised you will probably have to spend cash up front to make repairs that the previous owner couldn't afford to make. A 3-bedroom contemporary in foreclosure in Swiftwater PA recently went for $75k.

I have a Notre Dame graduate and another in the high school, and you're making a great choice of school. Financial aid is available.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Your price point is unrealistic. Click below for rental listings in Stroudsburg.

Apartments for Rent in Stroudsburg, Top 43 Apts and Homes in Stroudsburg, PA - realtor.com®

There are house rentals available in the Scranton area in your price range. Click below for an example.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand..._PA?source=web

There are much cheaper rentals in places like Shamokin, Mt. Carmel and McAdoo, but you wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Replaced with a more general listing

Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
For a 2 bedroom apartment in the neighborhood of ESU and Notre Dame, you'll need around a minimum of $1200 per month for a very average dilapidated place where you might be housemates with college students.

There are house rentals further into Marshalls Creek for around $1500-$2200 per month, but this area is not cheap. Rents are what they are because property/school taxes are extremely high (too many teachers pensions that need to be paid).

Also factor in water and sewage fees, renters insurance, property maintenance (grass cutting, driveway plowing), and energy bills (Met Ed is exorbitantly expensive during the winter months).

I own a house in Queens as well, and have found that the yearly expenses combined are about 35% higher in East Stroudsburg.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
There are certain areas of Penn Estates that are less the desirable but you will find that in any areas. For what you are willing, able to spend you will have to look further out, into lehman township in bushkill. but stay away from mt. pocono
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania