Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Are Your Favorite WNEP-TV Personalities?
Kurt Aaron (Meteorologist/Reporter) 14 14.89%
Bianca Barr (Reporter/Substitute Anchor) 4 4.26%
Jennifer Borrasso (Reporter) 1 1.06%
Josh Brogadir (Reporter) 1 1.06%
Sherman Burdette (Consumer Reporter) 12 12.77%
Marissa Burke (News Anchor) 10 10.64%
Sarah Buynovsky (Reporter) 7 7.45%
Noreen Clark (Meteorologist) 6 6.38%
Tom Clark (Chief Meteorologist) 14 14.89%
Jim Coles (Sports Anchor) 7 7.45%
Randy Freeman (Skycam 16 Pilot) 3 3.19%
Jill Garrett (Health Reporter) 6 6.38%
Paola Giangiacomo (News Anchor) 21 22.34%
Paul Grippi (Sports Reporter) 1 1.06%
Jim Hamill (Reporter) 1 1.06%
Nolan Johannes (Semi-Retired Reporter) 4 4.26%
Norm Jones (Reporter) 5 5.32%
Ryan Leckey (Reporter/Substitute Anchor) 16 17.02%
Steve Lloyd (Sports Reporter/Photographer) 2 2.13%
Jon Meyer (Reporter/News Anchor) 6 6.38%
Andy Palumbo (Reporter/News Anchor) 8 8.51%
Mindi Ramsey (News Anchor) 13 13.83%
Bob Reynolds (Reporter) 3 3.19%
Scott ******** (Reporter/News Anchor) 9 9.57%
Julie Sidoni (News Anchor) 18 19.15%
Joe Snedeker (Meteorologist) 37 39.36%
Mike Stevens (Reporter) 9 9.57%
Tom Williams (New Anchor) 16 17.02%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3 3.19%
I Don't Normally Watch WNEP 8 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

If you're a local news aficionado like I am, then you've likely begun to develop pseudo-social relationships with them. After all, it is only natural to start feeling an emotional bond to the "talking heads." LOL! Since WNEP is by far the most dominant news channel in our area, I was just wondering what personalities are winning in terms of popularity. You can feel free to give reasons for the way you voted if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM

By the way, Scott ******* is supposed to be Scott S-c-h-a-f-f-e-r. For some reason or other his last name trips the forum's profanity filter. I'm not quite understanding this (perhaps Yac or otr can enlighten me).

Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

I voted for:

Bianca Barr: Not only do I like her reporting style but I also adore her after reading her biography and learning that she rehabilitated a historic home in Scranton. She's a woman after my own heart!

Sherman Burdette: I started liking this personality after the 2006 Scranton Jaycees Santa Parade in which the Scranton High School Chorus sang "Sherman Burdette's Coming to Town" (in place of Santa Claus is Coming to Town), and he was dancing around. He seems like a very friendly, personable guy, and it's a shame he only gets a small segment in the evenings.

Randy Freeman: I don't feel as if the pilot of Skycam 16 gets nearly enough credit for what he does. He has a very dangerous job, but the reporters inside the helicopter get all of the recognition.

Ryan Leckey: I'm not ashamed to admit that I used to have a crush on this guy. I still can't tell if he's straight, bisexual, gay, or what, but he's certainly very easy on the eyes for me no matter what. LOL! He has a lot of energy and passion in his reporting, and the fact that he's a fellow runner from Scranton score him two brownie points from me (as well as having a cool MySpace profile!)

Joe Snedeker: Yes, his antics may cross the line from time to time, but overall this man has a big heart. How many of his opponents would pedal hundreds of miles to help physically- and mentally-challenged children at St. Joseph's Center every year? I love his "Hype-O-Meter" before the start of every snow storm, complete with the sound effects of women screaming! LOL! The "Boris Dance" has become legendary as well.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM

910 posts, read 2,992,007 times
I kinda like Mindi Ramsey, I dont see her on your list. She gets along well with the morning dorks.
SW, Ryan's eyebrows are way to manicured for a straight boy
I think Paola Giangiacomo could lay off the makeup a bit and get a haircut. Actually alot of them wear too much big hair and makeup.
Sherman's pretty funny. Helps me not buy all the crap I could easily get sucked into lol

Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,685 times
Ryan Leckey is just the worst, most irritating television personality this area has, and considering Channel 22 still offers up a newscast, that's saying an awful lot. He either oversimplifies or overdramatizes things. There's no middle of the road with that guy. Yesterday for example, he said of the fireman whose funeral drew the entire SFD, firefighters from all over the country and internationally, packed St. Patrick's (no small feat), had crowds lining the procession route and standing outside of the church, offices slowed to watch the mass on TV, and an entire neighborhood's traffic was brought to a standstill, he actually said "He was loved by dozens, respected by hundreds."

What an awful thing to say. Instead of just describing the scene, he said something so completely stupid that I had to rewind it to make sure that's really what he said.

He's awful, he's awful, he's awful. I can't wait until he leaves the area.

Julie Sidoni, however, can read me a calculus book and have my undivided attention. If I wasn't married, I'd steal her away from Scott S-chaffer.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,381 times
I like Paola Giangiacomo because she's nice to look at but sometimes I forget what she's saying.

Joe Snedeker Because he's funny and entertains me.

Tom Clark because he wears funny hats and clothes and tells the weather straight up

Tom Williams because... I'm not sure why LOL. He'd kind of pompous yet nice.

Finally Ryan Leckey because he reminds of how I expect SWB's personailty to be. I every time I see him I think he resembles him

Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
I kinda like Mindi Ramsey, I dont see her on your list. She gets along well with the morning dorks.
SW, Ryan's eyebrows are way to manicured for a straight boy
I think Paola Giangiacomo could lay off the makeup a bit and get a haircut. Actually alot of them wear too much big hair and makeup.
Sherman's pretty funny. Helps me not buy all the crap I could easily get sucked into lol
Mindi Ramsey is on my list. I'll be quite honest when I say I actually liked Kim Supon better than Mindi Ramsey; I felt she had better "chemistry" with Tom Williams and Joe Snedeker. With that being said Mindi seems to be more professional, but that is to be expected considering she moved here from the more rigid Hartford, CT market. She wasn't a homegrown "valley girl" like "Supey." LOL!

Ryan doesn't list his sexual orientation on his MySpace profile, and whether guys want to admit it or not, doing so is often a big "clue" that you're not straight.

The hair and make-up doesn't bother me nearly as much as Mike Lewis and Marisa Burke looking like "Oompah Loompahs" from all of the fake-baking. Their skin will become as permanently orange as Bob Barker's if they're not careful!

Sherman's consumer reports segments are vastly underutilized. I actually prefer WBRE's consumer reporter who investigates personal matters of local customers getting jilted by companies. I prefer Sherman's personality though.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Ryan Leckey is just the worst, most irritating television personality this area has, and considering Channel 22 still offers up a newscast, that's saying an awful lot. He either oversimplifies or overdramatizes things. There's no middle of the road with that guy. Yesterday for example, he said of the fireman whose funeral drew the entire SFD, firefighters from all over the country and internationally, packed St. Patrick's (no small feat), had crowds lining the procession route and standing outside of the church, offices slowed to watch the mass on TV, and an entire neighborhood's traffic was brought to a standstill, he actually said "He was loved by dozens, respected by hundreds."

What an awful thing to say. Instead of just describing the scene, he said something so completely stupid that I had to rewind it to make sure that's really what he said.

He's awful, he's awful, he's awful. I can't wait until he leaves the area.

Julie Sidoni, however, can read me a calculus book and have my undivided attention. If I wasn't married, I'd steal her away from Scott S-chaffer.

I'm actually with you on Julie Sidoni. I think she's far more elegant and gorgeous than Paola Giangiacomo, even though most local guys drool over her. Her eyes are very pretty.

I'll agree that Ryan Leckey's comment was ill-considered. I was shocked by it as well. He could have said something more along the lines of "anyone coming to pay their respects to this fallen hero could visibly see just how respected and lauded Capt. Robeson was by his community and his brotherhood of firefighters." It's always a no-no to put a specific figure like "dozens" or "hundreds" in emotional stories like this, even as a space-filler. I've seen some other mistakes made by Leckey in the past as well, but considering he's only 24 and a newbie to the profession these blunders are to be expected. I cringe more when I see veteran reporters in their 30s and 40s making stupid mistakes.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,685 times
Or he could have just reported the news in a solid, understated manner, like Norm Jones. I understand it was an emotional news story, but Leckey is just a terrible reporter, and totally the wrong person for the job.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Yes, I so do miss Supey......and her actions with Joe Snedeker.
I'm sure she'd have all our votes if she were on here.
When I first moved up this way from NJ. I was a bit stunned by Joe. All those years of watching the New York News, and a small NJ channel.......all suited up and stiff.
Then, I behold.........Joe. He is such a character. Everytime someone would come visit, I'd say you just have to see our weather man. It was so nice to relax and giggle at for a big change,just great........
The style of RL bothers me. I just don't quite like it.......I don't have a doubt though...
I like both of the Clarks.
Once they had a promotion thing, at the Mall, up your way. I saw quite a few of them there. P Giangiacomo was there. M. Clark. The Sports guy from the cabin...?
They all looked just like they do on TV. Quite a cute bunch.
Quite a few others were there. Not Joe though, he was coming the next day or I missed him the day before. Oh MY.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania