Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times

Advertisements

It was supposed to Snow? (eyes roll) Jersey Got Rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Any time! I'm all for a party. In fact, getting ready for my mom's 76th today. Your choice, Mary. Lemon... blueberry... poppyseed?

I used to live in Ashville, NC. Interesting that when it would snow & accumulate 4-6"... it was all melted by noon when the sun was hot. Pretty, peaceful place, Asheville... with the most eccentric folks I have ever encountered. Not necessarily unfavorable... just very different mix all jumbled together, sometimes uneasily, in 1-small town.

I'll fire up the oven. Which kind did you say you'd like?

Stay warm... or cool... depending upon where you might be... VV
Poppyseed, if you're talking Kolache.....
Asheville still is beautiful, but too much influx of "others" who don't necessarily value the views or the eccentricities..... My eldest child loves it there and I visit every chance. Helps make living in NC bearable.....

Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Did it actually stick to the ground?
It's really odd the way elevation has worked in this freak storm we're having as I speak. There's just over 3" of snow on the ground right now at my home, and it's still coming down rather heavily. If it continues we might be waking up to a half-foot of snow from this surprise storm. (So much for that 1" or less prediction of "snow showers" from WNEP!) I just got back from my final interview this evening (I snagged the job by the way!!!) in the West Side of Luzerne County, and while I was on I-81 I went from heavy snow and slick roads in the Pittston Area to rain in Edwardsville. After my interview the rain had changed over to snow, but it wasn't even sticking to the grassy surfaces until I made it as far north as around Laflin. This will be another one of those weird events where my home will have 4-5 inches of snow and treacherous roads while my campus in Wilkes-Barre gets a dusting and wonders why I'm wearing snow boots! LOL!

I was just checking elevations using Virtual Earth:

My home (Pittston Township, Luzerne County): 875'
Lower Green Ridge, Scranton: 690'
Edwardsville: 535'

I only live about 340' higher in elevation than my new employer, yet that was crucial enough to make the difference between heavy snow accumulations and rain, apparently. I would assume it's been mostly all snow up in your neck of the woods too, but acccumulations are probably a bit lower.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Default About the snow...

Well, my kids had to wait a day, but they got their hoped-for 2-hour delay this morning.

Daughter went out last night around 9 and measured 4 inches here in Jefferson Heights. Plows weren't around until early this morning, but did a great job in a short time.

Still...the roads proved tricky for some. Saw two motorists off the roads when I was taking my son to school. One had particularly good aim, as he/she took out the exit sign at the Mt. Cobb exit on I-84.

Okay, now that this storm is history, who's going to place their bet on the potential storm that may strike Thursday night/Friday AM?

Cathy

Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
OK! :et's have some fun!
Tell where you live and how many inches of snow you think your area will have by 10:00 am tomorrow morning.

I live in Lake Ariel...I'm going over the prediction and saying 8 inches...
ok I got in on this late........I'm in Surfside beach, and I'll be getting Zero inches....... But should I choose snow or pneumonia? snow or pneumonia?
OK>......Snow is the winner. But, I lost.......

Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM

173 posts, read 582,656 times
My first call for the Thursday/Friday system is 0-4". again temp is going to be a possible issue and some could get rain. As of today that is what the computer models are showing for NEPA. The models flip/flop so much this year it's hard to keep track of everything! (which is why most forcasts are wrong!!)

Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,403 times
Default Upscale Pocono Community

Kind of off the subject sorry...I am new to these forums.

My husband and I are looking for an upscale pocono community to buy a second home.

We have been to Lake Naomi and liked it.

Are there any other communities similar to Lake Naomi? How is Hemlock Farms or Masthope?

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Between the much talked about snow of Sunday night of 2 inches, and the not really talked about snow of yesterday of 3 more inches, and the inch that fell today....my deck railings say 6 inches...
I knew something was going to happen that wasn't really predicted!!

Cathyde....see what I mean about Mt. Cobb weather. It's like a whole different world in Mt. Cobb. Sometimes it is raining in Scranton, raining in The Hamlin area, and it will be ice or snow right in your area. Just curious...how is that hill getting into Jefferson Heights?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Between the much talked about snow of Sunday night of 2 inches, and the not really talked about snow of yesterday of 3 more inches, and the inch that fell today....my deck railings say 6 inches...
I knew something was going to happen that wasn't really predicted!!

Cathyde....see what I mean about Mt. Cobb weather. It's like a whole different world in Mt. Cobb. Sometimes it is raining in Scranton, raining in The Hamlin area, and it will be ice or snow right in your area. Just curious...how is that hill getting into Jefferson Heights?
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the roads are maintained here. I had said that the plows were out fairly early yesterday morning, and cleared the roads well. DH goes out about 6:30 - 6:45am yesterday and called to say the hill was okay. When the wind blows hard, then you need to be careful for snow drifting across the roadway, but nothing that careful driving won't get you through.

We were told that on the occasion that the hill is bad, just use the side roads and gradually weave your way down to 1st Ave. Haven't had to do that yet.

Yes, my eyes have been opened to this wild, wacky, wonderful weather here on top of Lackawanna County, and it's really okay!

Cathy

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Snow??? Crap - outta my way!! Gotta get milk, and bread, and eggs
The forecasters are in a tizzy and the Southerners are buying up all the milk, eggs, bread, and beer - WINTER STORM WARNING from 11p through tomorrow morning!!!!!! YIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania