Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times

Advertisements

My friend is offering me a place to stay temporarily in WB at 90 Academy St. If someone in the area would be kind enough to do a drive-by and just give me an idea of the neighborhood I would really, really, appreciate it. SWB offered to but he seems to be ignoring me. Maybe I hurt his feelings or something .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Hey there Georgie boy! I'm sorry; I didn't mean to inentionally ignore you; it was moreso a case of me opening your message, reading it, and then saying "I'll reply in the morning when I'm less tired" and then forgetting about you! I have a habit of doing this a lot with my online relationships. Don't at all feel offended! I'd be glad to even take a few pictures of 90 Academy for you while I'm out and about at some point during the week if you'd like? It's only a little over a mile walk from King's, and just a few minutes drive.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:57 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
check google. they have a globe program that can zoom in on towns.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Academy Street is in a bad area. I hear a lot of crime reports coming from Academy St.

Personally, I would avoid living in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
If someone in the area would be kind enough to do a drive-by and just give me an idea of the neighborhood I would really, really, appreciate it. .

Drive-bys are actually pretty common in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Academy Street is in a bad area. I hear a lot of crime reports coming from Academy St.

Personally, I would avoid living in Wilkes-Barre.
I concur. I recently took a photograph of the property in question, and to do so I parked my car at the CVS (or Rite-Aid?) at the intersection of South Main & Academy and walked the two blocks down Academy to the dwelling. I wasn't very impressed with the neighborhood either. There were a lot of beautiful, large older homes that had been allowed to fall into neglect, and I just got an eerie vibe about what the surrounding neighborhood must be like in the middle of the night! On the plus side, the property was right next-door to a beautiful old church, so perhaps that would help to deter the criminally ill-intentioned, but you never know!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Drive-bys are actually pretty common in Wilkes-Barre.
...as well as Hazleton, as we just saw in the shooting of that 9-year-old child the other day!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times
One doesn't have to avoid living in Wilkes-Barre;

...... as to Academy St., I would tend to stay away...it seems to be the dividing line between the less desirable areas to the south (especially that end of Franklin and River Streets, etc.) and the desirable area to the north- Wilkes University and the historic district. As to Academy, again, it's varied; it's those southerly blocks of South Franklin, South River Street, etc., that are the issue; Academy St., as it goes west toward the river beyond Carey Avenue becomes more stable middle-class, as far as I know....

What a shame that the damned drug types from NYC, NJ and Philly have infiltrated parts of these fine old cities...... but, neighborhoods are beginiing to fight back.

On the plus side, W-B continues to hire more cops, the University has a patrol, and downtown is much better policed these days with the new cinemas, clubs, and other facilities there......including the joint Wilkes-King's College bookstore......

Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I'll have to do my own drive-by soon.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
Default Fyi

Im a sophomore a Kings, just an FYI there was another drive by last night, Labor Day at the intersection of North main and East North Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania