Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times

Advertisements

If it was between Dan and Janet, I'd go with Dan!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Don't worry about about my plans. So what you saying is that nepotism, cronyism and patronage are ok? Ya thats great so as long as its a perk its ok. Nevermind if they are qualified or not right. Its funny the thread wasn't started about what would be considered "illegal corruption" but rather political corruption. Perks, No one in my family needs a job and I would be the first to tell anyone that expected anything from me in that way to go screw. Its actually called, wait for it, wait for it ETHICS AND MORALS. I have a firm grasp on those two points, better then most and I would never sell myself out for anyone. People like you that think its ok for these jobs to be just handed out like thank you cards is ok. Look at our former OECD director she was a keyholder at Express in the steamtown mall and because of her brother and father and their contributions to the mayor she was handed a job that she had absolutely no qualifications and or education for and then the city or should I say the taxpayers had to foot the bill for upwards of $400,000 in consultants and on top of it the mayor doubled the previous salary of a qualified director and gave her dumbass twice as much. So your ok with that are you? Don't think that it would have been better to hire someone that was qualified at the previous salary and save the tax payers close to $500,000? I just don't understand how you think or what you think is right and the fact that you seem to feel that it can't be changed just shows how complacent you are. Just sit there in that good ole painting and raise your kids to think that they can never change anything that they feel is wrong so don't bother, right? Thats your general point isn't it? Why not raise them to be sheep just like good ole dad. Bah bah bah bah

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
OOOPs I forgot this article. Your right absolutely right there is no corruption in NEPA. Thanks for your input bud.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
If it was between Dan and Janet, I'd go with Dan!!!!
I'd cast a write-in vote for Les Spindler.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopNEPAcorruption View Post
Don't you think it's gone too far? Its time for some serious change...and we NEED a recall procedure to get people with longer (4+ year) terms out of office for being corrupt!

Stop NEPA corruption
Your absolutely right, can anyone say DAN FLOOD...

Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
So what you saying is that nepotism, cronyism and patronage are ok? Nevermind if they are qualified or not right.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Were qualifications EVER top of the list for a political job? You get elected, you thank the people who got you there. You surround yourself with like minded individuals with similar agendas. You would do the same thing. So would Evans. To say otherwise is lying to yourself and everyone else. If that's corruption, then politics is inherently corrupt and always has been. I don't consider it to necessarily be corruption though. Deal with it.

Quote:
Its funny the thread wasn't started about what would be considered "illegal corruption" but rather political corruption.
By your definition, what's the difference?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
After reading a few posts I am not at all surprised at how corrupt NE PA has become. Some feel that it is perfectly acceptible for politicians who were elected to represent their voters to do anything but that. I'll make sur my buddy Joe gets a job he buys me a drink every friday. I'll make sure my buddy Mikes son gets that job at the courthouse. Blah blah blah. What about the others who also pay taxes? What about those who are actually not only experienced but qualified for these jobs? What about the applicants who are actually honest? No wonder the outrage in Luzern county right now. They should never have to answer for their misdeeds. After all they were elected to a job where its allowed to steal from the tax payers, to hand out jobs like one dollar bills to your friends? Or not? I say not. I say they are expected to behave in a trustworthy manner. Honor and integrety should be their priority not helping their cronies.
I remember the town I grew up in on the west side of the river. The assistant chief of Police's kids sold fireworks. They would then tell their father who they sold too and he in turn would quickly go confiscate them. They would then be sold again and again. LOL He would be ripping mad if he got there to late and you already set them off. Same cop sold steroids at the local gym.
Next town over A cop was dating a girl in my 9th grade class..... He was 21 and she 13. Nice.... Both had the correct connections to get these jobs.
Corruption is anytime a politician uses his office to abuse the power, the trust or the faith in order to hook up his buddies. This should never be tolerated at any level.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I agree 100% about the compensation issue. We're all human. I'd gladly run for office just because I want to help people (those who know my surname know I have no political connections in Scranton). However, getting paid $45,000 annually to govern a city of 72,000 as compared to in Wilkes-Barre where the mayor makes over $79,000 to oversee a city of 41,000 is asinine. I wouldn't be inclined to take kickbacks to make up for the lousy salary, but I'm sure many others would. On the contrary, I'd probably irk people because I'd keep a full-time job as a CPA to supplement that lousy city salary while holding my office as either city councilman or mayor (we saw how much controversy that recently caused with the new sheriff, so I'd already be preparing to brace for that backlash). $45,000 to endure the kind of hate mail, insults, message board bashing, etc. that Doherty receives is an insult in itself. Whether you agree with the man's policies or not, you have to admit that Scranton lags in terms of administrative pay in relation to many other cities.

Money motivates people. The best way to attract the best candidates is to dangle some Benjamin Franklins in front of them. If and when I decide to open my own firm, Electric City Realty, at a later point in life, I'm going to publicize the fact that my firm allows agents to keep 100% of their commissions---no sharing with the broker/owner. That alone will help to entice some more qualified people to consider working for my firm. If you want to know why idiots like Doherty or Evans are the only options this city has for mayor, then think of the fact that someone in their 40s-50s with an MBA earning $45,000 is a slap in the face. Want better city governance? Pony up.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
The low pay might also explain Luzerne County government's problems. I'm pretty sure I read that the Luzerne County Commissioners only make about $45,000 a year, compared to the Lackawanna County Commissioners who make $75,000. No wonder Luzerne County is only attracting dunderheads like Skrepenak to be commissioner.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Here I thought that corruption in Luzern county was simply a tradition. I believe the corruption has less to do with low pay and more to with business as always mentality.
I remember when Doe licences were a lottery. If you really wanted one stop in and see a county commish or the county treasurer. Some lottery huh.
Corruption as blatent as what we see in Luzern county happens because it is accepted and allowed. I for one was glad to see these jokers jammed up. They are not the first to do these misdeeds. They are just the ones who were outed. Public office isn't a get out of jail card. Or at least it shouldn't be. They should be held to the highest standard. If they can't live up to that then they should not assume the office. They get plenty of perks besides their pay. Car,gas, paid meals etc. Not to mention all the connections and kick backs that they most obviously enjoy. The current crew got greedy and got caught. May more suffer the same shame in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania