Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM

118 posts, read 623,913 times

Advertisements

Is Palmerton Lehigh Valley or Southern Poconos? I don't know where to post questions about the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
I would say Lehigh Valley.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I would guess that too, although quite a bit borderline, hummmm

Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Palmerton is in Carbon County, which is technically the Pocono Mountains, but Palmerton has become an exurb of the Lehigh Valley. The same problem currently exists with Reading (see the main PA section for my thread). The U.S. Census Bureau now considers the Reading/Berks County region to be part of Philadelphia, but some residents there dispute that.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Palmerton is in Carbon County, which is technically the Pocono Mountains, but Palmerton has become an exurb of the Lehigh Valley. The same problem currently exists with Reading (see the main PA section for my thread). The U.S. Census Bureau now considers the Reading/Berks County region to be part of Philadelphia, but some residents there dispute that.
The house we are looking at in Palmerton is in Carbon County but very close to Monroe County in Eldred Township. I am defienlty confused now

Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Well, based on the addition of Monroe County into the mix, now I'd say it would be southern Poconos.

I had originally said Lehigh Valley because when I was a girl visiting my grandparents in Jim Thorpe, we always felt connected to Allentown and that region. Plus there's the Lehigh River and Lehighton, all denoting Lehigh Valley area.

But Monroe County and that end of Carbon County are definitely Poconos area. Although I do remember a time when Jim Thorpe was NOT considered part of the Poconos. I guess the tourism people changed that to better suit their image of the area.

Last edited by Dawne; 01-16-2008 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
I consider Palmerton to be more Poconos because it's north of the Blue Mountain.

What questions do you have? I'll try to help you!

Last edited by karen_s; 01-16-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I consider Palmerton to be more Poconos because it's north of the Blue Mountain.

What questions do you have? I'll try to help you!
If you want to be REDNECK FREE, where WOULDN'T you live in PA? I am looking for a decent quiet area on a few acres but not more that 20-25 minutes from Stroudsburg! HELP..We went to Palmerton today and did not like it at all.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM

98 posts, read 434,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo View Post
If you want to be REDNECK FREE, where WOULDN'T you live in PA? I am looking for a decent quiet area on a few acres but not more that 20-25 minutes from Stroudsburg! HELP..We went to Palmerton today and did not like it at all.
The town is not impressive after the Zinc Plants ruined the environment. But locals think there is nothing wrong with the picture. Yes you could say Redneck in many ways but there are Professional people who live there as well and through the county.
True the quality of life is not the greatest(it is Carbon County) but Northampton is right next to it and Lehigh Valley just a quick ride.

I live in Carbon(rural) and I still find it such a culture change from one county to the other. Yes, Carbon is low class but you can also streach your dollar further here than moving to Lehigh Valley.

Not sure what your looking for but check out Beltzville area in Lehighton(nice area where many Doctors live). It also is close to Monroe County border and Stroudsburg. I believe they have the lowest property taxes in the county and some of the nicest rural homes.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo View Post
Since you put it that way, definitely you would not like most of Carbon County. However, there are people who fit your description throughout much of PA, just less in some areas I guess.

If you are looking for a quiet area on a few acres, perhaps you'd like Upper Mt. Bethel Township in Northampton County. It's right over Rt 191 from Stroudsburg. There are some beautifully large lots out there. However, it's quite a bit more expensive than the Palmerton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania