Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 PM

190 posts, read 285,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
there are some bad places in wilkes barre compared to the rest of the city and county. Compared to larger city not so much. Within a 30 minute drive there will numerous choices both suburban and semi rural of some of the safest places in the country to live. If you don't mind a rural setting that is still within a 20 or 30 minute drive to wilkes barre there is places with virtually no crime.

x200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 PM

132 posts, read 230,519 times
Thanks for the replies. At least my husband will apply for the job and we will pray and hope his interview next week goes well. I really wanted to be able to make an informed decision to apply to begin with. The competition is fierce so we will see.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:20 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
Thanks for the replies. At least my husband will apply for the job and we will pray and hope his interview next week goes well. I really wanted to be able to make an informed decision to apply to begin with. The competition is fierce so we will see.
Get the job offer then decide. It sounds like it might not happen. If so it wasn't meant to be.

There are many decent places to live within reasonable commuting distance of W-B...and with careful research and some luck, much easier than that commuting common in NY/NJ/CT/LA et al...BUTT...NEPA isn't anything like CA either.

Be prepared for many changes...some pretty big.

Needless to say...do your homework (you are obviously trying)...

...during the 'waiting time' and again if/when house hunting etc. Your personal situation is such that you can't do this easily and thoroughly in person. (People coming from neighboring states DO and some don't stay. It's impossible to process such (climatic and) cultural changes in a few visits.) Of course the Internet helps but nothing will simulate what it will be like living in a house, neighborhood, town, area etc. over time. Consider renting while gaining familiarity.

Try to have a long term 'plan B ' should it be needed (i.e. another relocation...even job prospects...or maybe return to where you are comfortable).

Have realistic expectations.

Should you move, don't look back and compare everything to what you left behind. Do your darndest to adapt and assimilate. It may be difficult in some things...at least for a while. Exploit the good stuff you find in the new place.

Of course even with the best prep and planning you are taking a chance. Life is a series of decisions followed by decisions.

May the Force and fortune be with you

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 PM

98 posts, read 111,396 times
I'm new here,

Just read this thread from beginning to end for the second time....

I am totally confused why a guy Warren Z) that left the area and says he is happy where he moved to, would want to keep denigrating WB and calling the people who tried to help him 'inbreds' 'white trash' etc.

Scratchin' my head here...

I have a feeling that He is going to find out that the streets of Warren Ohio aren't paved with gold either.

I may be wrong on this projection, but with his attitude and superior notions about his self importance, that it is just a matter of time before the Honeymoon will be over with his nabes in Ohio.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,345,575 times
With all the shootings in Wilkes-Barre and the problems in Scranton, I feel safer walking the streets of NYC at 2AM than I do Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I'll tell you when you can climb out from under that rock you are hiding under when Armageddon is over. If the valley scares you that much I guess you never leave the house.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,256 times
Lol, I figured my last comment wasn't worth it so I deleted it but I see it got a laugh. I just hate naysaying with a passion. The stuff going on in Wilkes Barre sucks and we need to get control over it but I still see it as isolated pockets of gang and drug related trouble. There are some really nice safe parts of Wilkes Barre and there are some bad parts but that's how most anywhere is anymore. It certainly though is not a third world country here and if it scares some people that bad element exists here there are always other options. Just don't be fooled into believing that there is some crime free paradise outside of the valley because you'll spend the rest of your life looking for it.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilke View Post
scranton is well below the u.s. average in terms of crime so if you feel unsafe there then the rest of the u.s. must be really scary.
Wilkes barre isn't, in 2013 the murder rate was the mid 30's which puts it just below some of the major cities. For comparison Detroit is 45. Scranton is low as is Lackawanna and Luzerne County as a whole.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Lol, I figured my last comment wasn't worth it so I deleted it but I see it got a laugh. I just hate naysaying with a passion. The stuff going on in Wilkes Barre sucks and we need to get control over it but I still see it as isolated pockets of gang and drug related trouble. There are some really nice safe parts of Wilkes Barre and there are some bad parts but that's how most anywhere is anymore. It certainly though is not a third world country here and if it scares some people that bad element exists here there are always other options. Just don't be fooled into believing that there is some crime free paradise outside of the valley because you'll spend the rest of your life looking for it.
Wilkes-Barre direly NEEDS to get its crime issues under control SOON. I feel safer walking/running/prancing around Pittsburgh at night than I did hanging around Wilkes-Barre after dark when I was in college, and statistically I'm probably more likely to be a crime victim in my current zip code than in a typical Wilkes-Barre zip code. Perception is everything. The most recent homicide in the Diamond City is so unnerving because it seems like an innocent man was murdered for speaking out against crime. I could usually brush most W-B homicide victims off as being dregs---gang members, drug dealers killed by rivals, drug users who shorted their dealers, etc. This most recent one would totally make me rethink investing in the city, though. It's one thing when minority criminals from other states are coming to Wilkes-Barre and being killed by fellow not-from-the-valley minority criminals. The typical law-abiding person (of any color) would have nothing to fear. It's a game-changer when an innocent civilian is gunned down, though.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM

I am wondering from what source of info you derived your conclusion that the victim was an innocent?

Not challenging you, I just don't know much about what transpired, but I would like to know..

Oops, just read the link that Magritte had posted...disregard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania