Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

The problem with this area is that while perhaps 80% of the folks here truly ARE kind, understanding, tolerant, wonderful, and couldn't care less who you are in a relationship with as long as you don't flaunt it in front of them gratuitously, this same 80% makes no effort to defend the LGBT community from the other 20% who are inbred ignorant redneck hicks with 1960s mindsets. At least in many other areas with this similar 80/20 split some of those in that 80% will SPEAK UP when they hear a co-worker making a gay slur to let it be known that they won't tolerate such conduct. As a Caucasian I think nothing of coming to the defense of African-Americans when they are being attacked, yet that same courtesy is not extended in terms of heterosexuals coming to the defense of the LGBT community when we are likewise attacked. Why?

When you area looks intolerant and socially-regressive, it reflects poorly upon firms that might otherwise ponder moving into the region. This is why people who make disparaging remarks about minorities on Talkback 16 Online, for example, have only themselves to blame for broadcasting our region as a beacon of idiocy to the rest of the world and dashing our hopes of economic revitalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,888 times
You, but more importantly, your son, would be better off in The Lehigh Valley. Bethlehem or Allentown in particular. They have a bigger gay population. Although not accepted by all there, ( no place you go, will you find total acceptance) it is much more common.
Although SWB may think differently, NEPA still is made up of mostly old time coal crackers or children of coal crackers and mountain folk.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
Hi,
I think you would do great in Milford or the surrounding areas like Dingmans Ferry. Milford is very gay friendly.

Good luck,

The Hat

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Although SWB may think differently, NEPA still is made up of mostly old time coal crackers or children of coal crackers and mountain folk.
I have seen progress though. NOBODY should have had to endure the issues I did with hate mail, neo-Nazi remarks, shoving, etc. simply because they were "different." With that being said the vast majority of the folks in NEPA have the "if you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude, and that's the way I prefer it. I don't expect a welcome mat to be rolled out for my partner and I, but on the same level if you're intentionally disrespectful to us because you are narrow-minded, be prepared to get into a very noticeable public shouting match poised at embarrassing you.

Are people here, overall, cosmopolitan, chic, progressive, intellectual, etc.? Not a chance in hell. However, things could always be much, much worse, and I keep that in perspective. In the year 1970 in NEPA, it probably would have been permissible for a group of white-trash redneck thugs to corner and beat a gay male in a bar. In 2008, such an action of random violence would be frowned upon (as it SHOULD be!!!)

That billboard along I-81 and the limited outrage over it speaks volumes about our area. By implying that homosexuals are somehow "attacking" marriage, all right-wingers have succeeded in doing is striking fear and hatred into the hearts and minds of some in our area who otherwise may not have cared one way or the other. It's also very telling about our area's intellect when your main freeway (I-81) is lined with signs like "High DUI Crash Area." Don't even get me started on the Lackawanna College billboard that used improper grammar.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I have seen progress though. NOBODY should have had to endure the issues I did with hate mail, neo-Nazi remarks, shoving, etc. simply because they were "different." With that being said the vast majority of the folks in NEPA have the "if you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude, and that's the way I prefer it. I don't expect a welcome mat to be rolled out for my partner and I, but on the same level if you're intentionally disrespectful to us because you are narrow-minded, be prepared to get into a very noticeable public shouting match poised at embarrassing you.

Are people here, overall, cosmopolitan, chic, progressive, intellectual, etc.? Not a chance in hell. However, things could always be much, much worse, and I keep that in perspective. In the year 1970 in NEPA, it probably would have been permissible for a group of white-trash redneck thugs to corner and beat a gay male in a bar. In 2008, such an action of random violence would be frowned upon (as it SHOULD be!!!)

That billboard along I-81 and the limited outrage over it speaks volumes about our area. By implying that homosexuals are somehow "attacking" marriage, all right-wingers have succeeded in doing is striking fear and hatred into the hearts and minds of some in our area who otherwise may not have cared one way or the other. It's also very telling about our area's intellect when your main freeway (I-81) is lined with signs like "High DUI Crash Area." Don't even get me started on the Lackawanna College billboard that used improper grammar.
Where is this billboard on 81, and what does it say? You see that's the one thing about NY I love you can be with people of all different race creed, color and gender, and it's mostly accepted, my philoshopy is you love the person for who they are, everyone is an individual, that is one thing I will miss about NY, I had the pleasure of making the aquantance of so many different types of people, especially in my line of work, and I learned one thing, take people on a individual basis,everyone is different, but everyone is the same, that is my words of wisdom for this day january 17th 2008, and also" LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH !!!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Where is this billboard on 81, and what does it say? You see that's the one thing about NY I love you can be with people of all different race creed, color and gender, and it's mostly accepted, my philoshopy is you love the person for who they are, everyone is an individual, that is one thing I will miss about NY, I had the pleasure of making the aquantance of so many different types of people, especially in my line of work, and I learned one thing, take people on a individual basis,everyone is different, but everyone is the same, that is my words of wisdom for this day january 17th 2008, and also" LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH !!!!!
I'm not sure of where on I-81 this billboard is located, but I've heard it referenced by many people on numerous occasions.

It's always a real treat to visit Manhattan to see (in the same block no less) women wearing Burkhas, two men holding hands, African-Americans, Hasidic Jews, people speaking different languages, etc. If you were to pick all of these folks up and plop them down into a local Wal-Mart, you'd probably see a lot of people running in fright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania