Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times

Advertisements

I didn't really have any particular roads in mind. Although I travel to Honesdale several times a month and have lived in the area my whole life, I must admit that I haven't been to the Damascus area much, and I often just try shortcuts and backroads for the fun of it on the rare occasion that I have some extra time.

There is another area I thought of for you. If you know where Western Wayne High School is (Rt. 196 near South Canaan), take the road next to the school (where Caanan Christian Academy is). I think it is Hemlock Road. Follow it back to the first left. We horseback ride along these roads and there is some beautiful scenery and farms back there. It was absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the leaves were in color. You can also get a great view of the windmills on the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Well, perhaps I might have been on Rte81 sometime, but I haven't been on that northward passage since moving to NEPA.

Now my ignorance is visible and my map invisible, so if I do take this pleasureable trip am I still in either Pike or Wayne County? Sounds like a stretch to me, but as I said, I am totally new to NEPA, and haven't even made it to Scranton yet.! I ask because the project is restricted to these two counties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishLASSIE333 View Post
You have never been on I-81? It traverses PA completely and goes all the way up to the NY/Canada border and all the way down to Tennessee (I think). I guess I just assumed you had been on 81 before, although I find it refreshing that you haven't! If you take 81 North from Scranton/Dickson City/Clarks Summit and go up just a short way, you will come to exit 206. Take it and turn right, and you will be heading towards Elk Mountain. I am sure there are other ways to reach that point, but I always use 81 to get there. Anyhoo, it's a very scenic drive dotted with farms.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Well, I am a back-road person myself, and have been on quite a few in the short time I've lived in Wayne County.

I haven't come up to Rte 196 that I am aware of, and will try to dig out my map, or buy a better one of this area alone, and check out this area.

I have until February to identify the farms/barns, and then another month to do the project.

I am hoping the weather permitting, I will be able to travel up and down these country roads; fortunately, I have 4-wheel drive.

Again thanks, greentown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I didn't really have any particular roads in mind. Although I travel to Honesdale several times a month and have lived in the area my whole life, I must admit that I haven't been to the Damascus area much, and I often just try shortcuts and backroads for the fun of it on the rare occasion that I have some extra time.

There is another area I thought of for you. If you know where Western Wayne High School is (Rt. 196 near South Canaan), take the road next to the school (where Caanan Christian Academy is). I think it is Hemlock Road. Follow it back to the first left. We horseback ride along these roads and there is some beautiful scenery and farms back there. It was absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the leaves were in color. You can also get a great view of the windmills on the hill.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
If you want to see the best barns, travel down to Berks and Lancaster county. You will find none better.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

I am familiar with both Berks and Lancaster and agree they have wonderful barns, farms and landscapes.

This project is restricted to the two counties I named: Pike and Wayne.

Thanks for your suggestion(s)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
If you want to see the best barns, travel down to Berks and Lancaster county. You will find none better.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM

76 posts, read 261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, perhaps I might have been on Rte81 sometime, but I haven't been on that northward passage since moving to NEPA.

Now my ignorance is visible and my map invisible, so if I do take this pleasureable trip am I still in either Pike or Wayne County? Sounds like a stretch to me, but as I said, I am totally new to NEPA, and haven't even made it to Scranton yet.! I ask because the project is restricted to these two counties!
Elk Mountain is right near the Susquehanna/Wayne border but is, technically, Susquehanna. However, just past Elk you will cross into Wayne County, and you can drive from there all the way to Honesdale, passing many beautiful barns along the way.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

The main interstate running through Wayne/Pike is Rt. 84. From there you can take 380 to connect to 81.

I'm not sure where you are exactly, but I'll try to explain how to find 196. If you follow Rt. 6 out of Honesdale toward Waymart, you will come to an intersection (I think there is a traffic light) with 296 (also called the Easton Turnpike). That will take you through Waymart and South Caanan. Right after the Western Wayne High School is the Hemlock Road that I mentioned, (look for the Caanan Christian Academy sign on the left) and when you continue down the windy hill past the high school, you will come to a Y. If you bear toward the left you will continue on 296; the road to the right is 196, which will take you into Hamlin. Both of these roads come out to Rt. 191.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Okay, I think I have it.

I am off Rte371 in Damascus, and haven't taken Rte6 out of Honesdale in that direction. Sunday will be my first I believe. I'll probably give myself plenty of time to explore some of these roads, and get to the opening on time in Waymart.

Quote:
The main interstate running through Wayne/Pike is Rt. 84. From there you can take 380 to connect to 81.

I'm not sure where you are exactly, but I'll try to explain how to find 196. If you follow Rt. 6 out of Honesdale toward Waymart, you will come to an intersection (I think there is a traffic light) with 296 (also called the Easton Turnpike). That will take you through Waymart and South Caanan. Right after the Western Wayne High School is the Hemlock Road that I mentioned, (look for the Caanan Christian Academy sign on the left) and when you continue down the windy hill past the high school, you will come to a Y. If you bear toward the left you will continue on 296; the road to the right is 196, which will take you into Hamlin. Both of these roads come out to Rt. 191.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Okay, I think I have it.

I am off Rte371 in Damascus, and haven't taken Rte6 out of Honesdale in that direction. Sunday will be my first I believe. I'll probably give myself plenty of time to explore some of these roads, and get to the opening on time in Waymart.
Hope you have a fun time exploring!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks, I'm certain to enjoy the ride and the views.

Quote:
Hope you have a fun time exploring!
Thanks for the clarification. It will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishLASSIE333 View Post
Elk Mountain is right near the Susquehanna/Wayne border but is, technically, Susquehanna. However, just past Elk you will cross into Wayne County, and you can drive from there all the way to Honesdale, passing many beautiful barns along the way.
And, if the project takes off, gets published and includes the photographs, I'll be certain to share a link with NEPA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania