Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,233 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home in a community called the, Country Club of The Poconos. The houses are beautiful even though the taxes are high. It seems like a quiet, safe community with a nice blend of people living there.
If there is information that you can share with me that may be helpful about moving here, please let me know including what the East Stroudsburg area is like and the surrounding neighborhoods.
I like that this community is right off of Route 209, Interstate 80, within close proximity to shopping, the College, and the indoor mall. Thank you.

Last edited by Joy55; 04-25-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
If you have school age kids, you might be interested to know their is a small Catholic school in East Stroudsburg Borough that's closer to CCP than the public high school (E.S. North) and intermediate (Lehman) schools are.

Our elder son is majoring in Mathematics at ESU and he likes it. ESU has a good academic reputation and as a state school is very reasonably priced, and their athletic programs (Division II) are usually very competitive.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
If you have kids I would consider checking the school districts more carefully before making a final decision.
CCP is a very nice community - I know folks there and it's well thought of.
But yes, taxes are high and they go up pretty much every year in the East Stroudsburg Area School District, which has a very high debt burden and a dwindling number of residents to pay for it.

Of course, if you don't have kids the quality of the school district doesn't directly affect you -- but the tax bill definitely does, and resale value is always higher in the top-rated school districts.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
My cousin lives there. Taxes are high and so are the dues. Unfortunately, he's so underwater he can't sell or he'd have moved already. His taxes have more than doubled the last 7 years.

They also have their children in the local Catholic school, despite them being raised in his wife's Jewish faith.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
There is a beautiful community in the Lake Naomi area called Timber Trails that you might be interested in looking into.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,233 times
Thank you for your responses. Do you think any of proposals to reduce taxes will go through? It's really hard trying
to maintain a middle class lifestyle with the cost of housing today. I also wonder why the dues are so high in the Country Club Of The Poconos if the community is no longer gated because of the Golf course? Dues should not
continue to increase if some amenities have changed.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:08 PM

335 posts, read 324,874 times
Ah Joy, when it comes to tax hikes in NEPA and controlling them, you must hand it to the local politicians. If not, they take it anyway. Honestly, if you're fearful of out of control HOA and tax increases, think twice.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy55 View Post
Thank you for your responses. Do you think any of proposals to reduce taxes will go through? It's really hard trying
to maintain a middle class lifestyle with the cost of housing today. I also wonder why the dues are so high in the Country Club Of The Poconos if the community is no longer gated because of the Golf course? Dues should not
continue to increase if some amenities have changed.
Dues actually doesn't cover all amenities. You pay additional charges for the pool and clubhouse usage.

My cousin pays nearly $13,000 in combined taxes and nearly $1500 in dues plus more for additional amenities. Not sure what that number is.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:04 AM

16 posts, read 25,690 times
made an offer on a home... have plans on sending the kids to the local catholic school.. just concerned about crime.
can anyone chime in on this.. looking to make this my last home stand and retire here
also wonderin if anyone have any info on whether or not the community is prone to flooding..

Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Crime?? Flooding??
Neither will apply at CCP.

We live nearby (not in CCP) and haven't locked our doors in 16 years.

There is the occasional minor incident - break-in, vandalism, domestic violence -- in maybe a 10-mile radius from CCP, but for crime, you have to go to Wal-Mart at midnight.

Most everything up here is mountainous so unless you live in a gully or near a creek, you won't have to worry about flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania