Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM

411 posts, read 1,290,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Was Tink's there for 20 or 30 years? Larry Tinkelman owned two sewing factories, one behind Tink's and one on N.Wash. Ave above the newspaper. Well it used to be a newspaper there when Scranton still had two papers... I thought he started Tink's in the late 80's. Correct me if I'm wrong..
Think he owned one in Throop as well...at least that's where Kevin's The home of the $5 golf shirt started.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
The Tinks of the 80's was more of a quiet fern bar kind of place. It wasn't until the 90's that it expanded to include the former Sal's Pizza and became the nightclub we've all come to know and have mixed feelings about. I don't know the chain of ownership, but I seem to recall that it was around that time that Coopers took over ownership. It was also at that point that overzealous bouncers started giving the place a bad rep.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
It was also at that point that overzealous bouncers started giving the place a bad rep.
Watch and see how the same thing happens to the new club. Same guys, same crew, same problems.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM

::bangs own head against wall::

Old 01-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Come on give me a break. You honestly think that a NYC style club is going to open downtown and they won't have the same type of guys bouncing for them? Seriously CHS89. They will probably hire the same guys because they obviously have no jobs right now and the DJ from Tinks is involved in the new club. I would think that you would see alot of the same faces in the new place. Even if they hire new guys you know they will be the same.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 PM

It must be such a burden to be so clairvoyant.

You know practically nothing about the future plans for the place, yet you presume to know exactly what the hiring process will entail and what kind of staff will be brought in?

I'll defer to your imagined intimate knowledge of the situation going forward...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Come on give me a break. You honestly think that a NYC style club is going to open downtown and they won't have the same type of guys bouncing for them? Seriously CHS89. They will probably hire the same guys because they obviously have no jobs right now and the DJ from Tinks is involved in the new club. I would think that you would see alot of the same faces in the new place. Even if they hire new guys you know they will be the same.
Any nightclub is a good one for downtown. Scranton will never be able to position itself as a retail/shopping hub again, nor will it ever be a thriving employment hub---the suburbs lay claim to both of these titles with their industrial parks, business parks, and "lifestyle centers." However, Scranton can establish itself as a nightlife hot-spot, and if it is eventually positioned and marketed correctly such a distinction as a "nightlife destination" will help transform the city from a 9-5 one to a 24-hour one, which will encourage people to move downtown, which will generate new foot traffic, which will generate spin-off businesses to cater to the growing residential population.

I know, Dan, that you think NOBODY wants to live downtown, but I can say you're mistaken. IF units are brought to Center City in a REALISTIC price range for the middle-class (let's say mid-$100k range), then there WILL be a demand for them. Not everyone is enamored about having to have their SUV glued to their hips whenever they want to go anywhere, as folks in my community have to endure. I'm unsure about how much Mr. Joyce's units will cost once his post-fire project gets back on track pending the insurance settlement, but I'd have to assume they are going to be very posh simply judging by the large square footages. Scranton might be able to support ONE of these projects, but then future projects should be geared towards the middle-class instead of the upper-middle-class or "creative class." As an aspiring CPA I'd ponder living in a reasonably-priced downtown unit, and so would a few of my friends---at least until the time came to settle down into a single-family detached dwelling to raise a family in my 30s.

Downtown Scranton is home to:

Scranton Cultural Center
Marquee Cinemas
First Fridays Art Walks
University of Scranton
Lackawanna College
The Banshee
Whistle's
The Bog
Farley's
Martini
Blues Street
Sambuca
Vidas
Thai Rak Thai
Osaka
Trolley's
Trax
Northern Lights
Starbuck's
...much more

Downtown Scranton is quickly gaining ground as having a condensed area of outstanding restaurants and culture, and complementing that with more night clubs would be desirable. One could conceivably attend a late-afternoon guest lecture at the University of Scranton, grab a bite at Thai Rak Thai, see an off-Broadway show at the Scranton Cultural Center, catch a flick at Marquee, sip a latte at Northern Lights or Starbuck's, hop a trolley on First Fridays to various art galleries, etc. Scranton isn't perfect, but it certainly has the 'burbs beat when it comes to culture, nightlife, and dining. Downtown should continue to focus on those strengths and work to lure a market or organic grocer downtown to help promote future residential development, which will be a catalyst to gentrify adjacent neighborhoods like Pinebrook, the Lower Hill, Hyde Park, and Upper South Side.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Go on the myspace page for the club and the DJ. Its going to be the same thing as the galaxy but bigger. ITs going to be a NYC wannabe dance club. Do you think that they will be hiring saddle shoe wearing prep students to work the doors or just your run of the mill Scranton bouncer? Seriously when was the last time you went to bar or club that had guys at the door? Even in Philly the look the same as the guys at the woodlands or Tinks or wherever. I know nothing of the future plans.....Blah blah blah Google it and read up I did. Check out the site on myspace of the guy that posted here Rob Levari? He was the DJ at Tinks and is either a partner or the new DJ at The Colleseum. Same crap different location in my mind.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Any One could conceivably attend a late-afternoon guest lecture at the University of Scranton, grab a bite at Thai Rak Thai, see an off-Broadway show at the Scranton Cultural Center, catch a flick at Marquee, sip a latte at Northern Lights or Starbuck's, hop a trolley on First Fridays to various art galleries, etc.
????????????????????????????Where on earth do you live? Where have you ever been that life is like that? Paul no offense but you need no have to get out of this area for awhile and see what the real world is like just alittle. Hollywood does not even have fake towns that are like that. I almost want to click my heels and say there is no place like home.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Same crap different location in my mind.
There we have it everyone. Mayor Hubbard has declared is to be the same crap, different location, months before anything even happens.

I, for one, feel fortunate that you chose to move back to Scranton and favor us with your insight and wisdom. I'm off to grow a beard in your honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania