Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 0 0%
No 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, Gretchen. Ron Paul will get my vote too. He actually has something very interesting to say about the illegal workers topic as well. I will paraphrase his position--that illegal workers have always been around, and really are not that much more of a problem than they were at other points in time; but because our own economy is so bad right now, so many have lost jobs to corporate greed and China and India, etc, that people are frustrated and taking it out on illegals.

If everyone in the US worked as hard as the illegals, I bet a lot of the jobs we've lost over the last ten years would still be here!

The illegals are not the ones who have created the problem. I lived in NYC with many of them and got to know them. I actually knew one who was saving money from his paychecks every week so that when he finally got an opportunity to meet with an immigration official, he could offer his back tax money! For the most part these are people that work hard and have beautifully strong family units--we could all learn a lot from the closeness of their immediate families and their sense of community.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,684 times
Ron Paul has an exc ellent take on national sovereignty. I belive we need to wave the Don't Tred on me flag high. I like him for that. However, unfortunatly i dont think he is electable. I wish that wasnt the case because I like him alot/ Reminds me of Goldwater.(i wasnt alive then but nonetheless)

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Why would you say that Ron Paul is not electable? Why do people in this country continue to just vote for the same phony political chumps that the media tell us to vote for? Its as if a candidate is not a party-line celebrity politician like Hillary, Obama, McCain, etc, we consider them to be "unelectable." I like the fact that Dr. Paul thinks for himself and will go against his political party and use his own mind on issues. We need more people in office like Dr. Paul, and we need voters who will actually examine the issues for themselves instead of voting for the same corrupt politicians over and over.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I have an Irish flag as a windblock over a cracked cellar door window. That's cool, though, right?

I mean, it's not like it's a Union Jack or anything...

I am irish ; accent and all.

My dh was born in England but raised in Ireland.

Our children are American.

Our neighbours would be so confused if we flew the Tricolor, Union Jack and Stars & Stripes.

Oh well, it works for us.

dorothy

Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM

MRKrabs, I plan on voting for him, however truth be told he does not have the bandwith nor the market share to nor the money (and all three are the ingredients to win, not issues unfortunatly) to win IMO. I really like the guy, team him up with Biden for his foreign relation experience and you have a great ticket. Trust me, I don't like any of the dems and Romney may be the only viable choice for an electable person that i could get behind. I wish it was about the issues and the person rather than the money and the party support.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
Well he does have the money...as much as the others anyway, raised from grass roots unlike the rest. What he doesn't have is the media and corporate machine behind him--admittedly two very considerable setbacks. But, hey, this is our country right? Let's elect our president this time!

In the Moore documentary Sicko, there was a political professor being interviewed, he was asked why France has so many holidays and benefits for it's citizens. He said, because in France, it's the government that is afraid of the people! As opposed to the other way around in this country. France tries to take away one national holiday, and literally the people start pouring into the street in protest, and they get their way.

It's that kind of spirit that our forefathers laid out for us. For the people; By the people. Not this current attitude of: give the government your money and do whatever they tell you; go to the mall if you get frustrated or depressed.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM

I agree one hundered precent. I am a limited gov't interference. I belive in the 2nd amendment simply for the fact that if the people need to rise we can fight. I know that sounds extrem but it is the overriding reason behind the ammendment. Don't tread on me! Limited Gov't and state sovereignty. We need to start taking care of Americans before we go and help the rest of the world.

In regards to France and their economy you can see the shift from Gov't run programes to privitization. My father lived in France for 3 years in the 60's. THey where still recovering from the war at that point but moving tword a agriculture heavy industrilized nation. They are now 3rd or 4th in the world for purchasing power. That is 40 yrs to build that up. Pretty impressive, I like the French a lot, spirit, attitude and view.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

188 posts, read 156,374 times
Do the Scranton Police ignore Illegal law breakers because they can't pay?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINOLOGY View Post
Do the Scranton Police ignore Illegal law breakers because they can't pay?
Elaborate on that one, I dont understand. Are you saying people who CAN pay off a cop get a free pass?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:35 PM

188 posts, read 156,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Elaborate on that one, I dont understand. Are you saying people who CAN pay off a cop get a free pass?
I have seen first hand, and have heard from police, that the police don't have the manpower nor the time to tend to an Illegal, who say does not have a drivers license, or who maybe has a license, and violates and ordinance. One main issue is the police don't speak Spanish, and the Illegal won't pay the fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania