Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 AM

183 posts, read 521,482 times

Advertisements

I relocated to Tobyhanna from NJ seven years and regret my decision. I love my house but not the property, the community or the area and, like the poster, find that people here are generally quite unfriendly. I put my house on the market with a realtor in February of 2014 to see whether I am trapped here though I cannot afford to relocate. From the first person who looked at the house and on the first day of the listing, I received an offer that was $11,500 above my asking price.

Put all personal items out of sight, preferably into storage. Make certain that everything inside and out is immaculate, in good repair and freshly painted in neutral colors. Stage your house in such a way that it looks ready to move into. Make certain that the photos that will be posted are lovely and very appealing with nothing out of place. Consider listing your house during the off season when there is less inventory on the market with whom you will be competing.

You need only one buyer.

Take your house off the market now until February. When a listing is old, buyers assume that there is something wrong with the property. Do your due diligence in your selection of your realtor based upon referrals from immensely satisfied sellers - realtors specialize and have better talents either selling or purchasing. Carefully select the realtor; not the agency. Some put their efforts into capturing listings and nothing further as they receive their commissions when another agency sells their listings. Insist upon a contract with a realtor that is only three months in length. Approve the photographs and narrative that your realtor proposes to post online. Avoid having an Open House other than for realtors.... buyers don't come to open houses; nosy neighbors do. Be proactive in all marketing efforts.

Best success to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslainey View Post
Pennsylvania just didn't work out for this woman and her family. How about we move on to what she's looking for instead of bashing her. Some people love snow, winter and privacy that Pennsylvania offers. We all know one person's hell is another person's paradise. NY winters are not significantly milder than than Pennsylvania's winters and summers have been shorter and shorter with barely any spring/fall. Sounds like you might want to visit Florida to see for yourself. I have no idea about work opportunities but Florida definitely offers a less edgy more laid back lifestyle, even in what Florida considers "city" i.e. WPB. I drove Route 95 from Jacksonville to WPB a couple times, during rush hour. It's a piece of cake. Rush hour on LI is a nightmare. If you end up finding work west of wherever you live on LI, plan on spending a big chunk (hours) of what would otherwise be family time, on the highway or on the LIRR, plus the expense of public transportation if you choose that option. A friend just started work in Brooklyn from mid-Suffolk. She leaves home at 6AM and returns home around 8PM - using the LIRR and then several block walk to work. What Florida calls rush hour is about the same as normal mid-day traffic LI, except on LI many drivers seem to be playing "chicken" i.e. driving like complete lunatics. Anyone I know retirement age from LI, have left or are leaving for PA, SC, FL....almost anywhere is an easier life. That doesn't mean there aren't people living here that don't love it....but most of them are double income professionals that can handle the expense. (making upwards of $150k + in combined income.)
Your comments about Florida apply to parts of Florida and not to all of Florida. Your generalizations are vastly untrue about, for example, Boca Raton, where I lived. Florida, like an anyplace else, has differing areas and cannot be described by any broad brush.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
What some people perceive as bashing is, to others, an attempt to help this lady realize that she is focused on one thing and fails to see the big picture, i.e., she can't sell her house with the negativity she projects.
I find your comment to be unduly harsh. I don't think for a moment that the failure of her house to have sold has anything whatsoever to do with her attitude.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the markets are just tough. All our local newspapers here in nyc used to have a why rent when you can own section devoted to just the pocono's.

That went away years ago as life in the pocono's became less and less popular.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post
I find your comment to be unduly harsh. I don't think for a moment that the failure of her house to have sold has anything whatsoever to do with her attitude.
I think what I think and what you think about what I think is irrelevant.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 PM

67 posts, read 132,595 times
where do you line now? Your message is confusing as to where you live, and why you are selling and to where you want to move.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Oh, the Nicholas Brothers. They knew how to tap. And those splits?

It seems that's what you have to do these days to sell a house. Put on a show, make sure it smells like apple pie and looks like something from BHG TV.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
I have a candle that makes my home smell like apple pie...

remember the old saying about 'Mom and apple pie'?

I sometimes want my house to smell like apple pie, so my lovely wife or I will bake one...or I will light an apple pie candle.
Never wanted my house to smell like my Mom though...

She used to smell like Occur! perfume and peppermint Life Savers.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM

163 posts, read 204,959 times
Tapshoe you are the correct one ,its not my attitude. to clear things abit ....we are trying to sell here in Notheast PA ...we have a gorgeous home by the lake. We have decided on FL to move to. We would have loved Long Island , but for retirement it doesnt seem like it would work. I still welcome productive comments from people that truly want to help . Thank you to the many on here that had kind words to me and were interested in helping us.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM

163 posts, read 204,959 times
very cute about the apple pie! yes my home is cleared and looks great now off to buy some pies!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania