Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times

Advertisements

That is interesting news, being a retired RR worker from NYC. We I travel to the WTC from Port Jervis after 3 hours (if there are no problems) would love to see a high speed rail some day. They said a long time a ago that there would never be west of the Hudson and it was. It goes according to demand and I would presume with the high price of gas, people need alternative routes into work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
some more info on the subject...
Electric City Renaissance - Scranton Pa » Blog Archive » Scranton-NY train line moving forward (http://www.electriccityr.com/36 - broken link)

Old 07-12-2008, 11:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Hey OP - I think that was my post in the NJ Forum. According to NJ Transit... it will be done by 2030 so you may still be above ground by then : ) The piece from Andover, NJ (near me) should be completed in the next 3 yrs. It will be a plus but this station isn't very far from Neighboring Hackettstown or the Station in Netcong. When it reaches Blairstown, that will be even better. They originally proposed to go through Sparta but the people who live in Sparta said NO WAY!..fear that opening a station will bring less than desirable people to their "posh" little town : ) When they opened the Hackettstown station... many migrant farm workers, mostly illegal aliens flocked to that area and Hackettstown is now developing a large Hispanic community. Not that crime has risen any as a result...the feel of the town is just so different now! It use to be a nice little redneck farmer's town..lol : ) They are hard workers and although it's a bit of a culture shock for the resident out here, it has actually enhanced our little main street - new stores, new restaurants... eclectic mix. No more what should we eat tonight? "Italian or Chinese"... we have more choices now. One more down side to the train eventually reaching Scranton...the trip will be a good 3 hrs. into NYC. Many think that the folks in Scranton will not bother using it because you'll get bored quickly or tired of the long train ride?
wileynj - I'm so glad you have so much faith in my continued mortality. I'd be 78 in 2030! You're right about those "sticking points". Those citizens of Sparta, who like to believe they are "Upper Saddle River West", will fight it tooth and nail. They won't want their beloved "Agrestic" (cue "Little Boxes") turned into "Petticoat Junction" with the "Tacky Taco" add-in. But time and rising energy costs may give them no choice. A quick Scranton to Hoboken run may never be in the cards, but it might open up some employment opportunities to Scrantonians and others further East, who might end up working in Sussex or Warren or Hunterdon counties as those places grow. Some train progress is better than none!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 PM

223 posts, read 796,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I came across this on a NJ CD thread. Have many of you read this?

Plans move forward to revive Lackawanna Cutoff rail line - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

ScranBarre's wish might come true - eventually. I wonder if there was anything in the Scranton or Pocono papers on this article. If it came to pass, those old houses in Scranton might be going up in value bigtime!

At the end of the day, I don't think NJ will carry through with this sort of development because they stand to lose McMansion tax dollars when people start moving out in droves. I'd love to see it happen though.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
At the end of the day, I don't think NJ will carry through with this sort of development because they stand to lose McMansion tax dollars when people start moving out in droves. I'd love to see it happen though.
What do you mean "when"..they already are : ) If anything..some may consider buying a McMansion in Warren County rather than a cluster development home that's half the size and twice the price in Morris, Essex, Hudson. Could possibly mean great resale for those of us who have already figured out that living in the NW section on NJ is the best thing since sliced bread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM

223 posts, read 796,036 times
Quote:
What do you mean "when"..they already are : ) If anything..some may consider buying a McMansion in Warren County rather than a cluster development home that's half the size and twice the price in Morris, Essex, Hudson. Could possibly mean great resale for those of us who have already figured out that living in the NW section on NJ is the best thing since sliced bread
Good point, Wiley. I think Warren County should link up its grassroots forces with Scranton's and launch simultaneous rallies in front of city hall on the matter.

Supporters of the Hoboken-Scranton Rail, Unite!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
Good point, Wiley. I think Warren County should link up its grassroots forces with Scranton's and launch simultaneous rallies in front of city hall on the matter.

Supporters of the Hoboken-Scranton Rail, Unite!
All in favor say yea! I think Warren County should just hook up with PA as part of that State. Most people from the East think it's PA anyway..I wouldn't mind paying your taxes : ) My attorney pal who comes to visit on occassion, she's from Brooklyn originally - she tells everyone she's going to Ohio for the day when she comes out this way..lol - it's not that far! I'm like an Hr. from NYC.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 AM

27 posts, read 67,185 times
The Lackawanna cutoff to Scranton doesnt run through Sparta.

Quote:
Hey OP - I think that was my post in the NJ Forum. According to NJ Transit... it will be done by 2030 so you may still be above ground by then : ) The piece from Andover, NJ (near me) should be completed in the next 3 yrs. It will be a plus but this station isn't very far from Neighboring Hackettstown or the Station in Netcong. When it reaches Blairstown, that will be even better. They originally proposed to go through Sparta but the people who live in Sparta said NO WAY!..fear that opening a station will bring less than desirable people to their "posh" little town : ) When they opened the Hackettstown station... many migrant farm workers, mostly illegal aliens flocked to that area and Hackettstown is now developing a large Hispanic community. Not that crime has risen any as a result...the feel of the town is just so different now! It use to be a nice little redneck farmer's town..lol : ) They are hard workers and although it's a bit of a culture shock for the resident out here, it has actually enhanced our little main street - new stores, new restaurants... eclectic mix. No more what should we eat tonight? "Italian or Chinese"... we have more choices now. One more down side to the train eventually reaching Scranton...the trip will be a good 3 hrs. into NYC. Many think that the folks in Scranton will not bother using it because you'll get bored quickly or tired of the long train ride?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPuppet View Post
The Lackawanna cutoff to Scranton doesnt run through Sparta.
I know but they originally wanted to add a line through Sparta. The locals said "no thanks". They need a line up there as traffic on Rt. 15 is brutal during rush hour and where 15 meets 80 - causes major back-ups! Seems the folks coming on 80 from 15 need to get on and over to the "fast lane" ASAP..lol : ) I never get why people feel the need to do that!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Quote:
I know but they originally wanted to add a line through Sparta. The locals said "no thanks". They need a line up there as traffic on Rt. 15 is brutal during rush hour and where 15 meets 80 - causes major back-ups! Seems the folks coming on 80 from 15 need to get on and over to the "fast lane" ASAP..lol : ) I never get why people feel the need to do that!

Wiley, you would think they would want something like that. The tax in Sparta is high based. Yes, it is brutal on route 15 into 80 in the morning and the one lane roads thru Sparta do not help. Very aggressive drivers on Route 80 in general, especially during rush hour. If they put a rail line, it would help with the wear and tear on cars. They are building many new developments in Sparta so the population is definitely expanding.

The Hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania