Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:53 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackaw...Project_status
Quote:
The laying of track began from Port Morris in September 2011. By December 2011, about 1 mile (1.6 km) of track had
been installed west of Port Morris Junction
At the rate of 1 mile of track every 3 months, how long will it take to reach the Delaware from Port Morris? Also at 1 mile every 3 months, in the past 6 years they should have completed 24 more miles.

Quote:
tree and brush removal is forbidden from April 1 to October 31 due to the mating season of the endangered Indiana bat.
No comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:07 PM

115 posts, read 163,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
At the rate of 1 mile of track every 3 months, how long will it take to reach the Delaware from Port Morris?
HA! we'll have flying cars first and no one will want a train.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I remember train service to the Poconos - but my memory is fading and so is hope for new service!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM

120 posts, read 152,263 times
So when is the train estimated to be in Scranton?

Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecounty2014 View Post
So when is the train estimated to be in Scranton?
I have problems with all of the estimates. Install the free version of Google 'Earth' and follow the tracks. The imagery date, as the old tracks cross the Delaware, is 4/17/2017. Follow the tracks and look for new construction - I do not see any! I do not even know if the railroads still own the right of ways?

Google imagery is usually pretty up to date in the US. Or, at least, in metropolitan areas of the US. Sometimes it could be a few years old; but, even then, you would probably be able to see major improvements on something as big as railroad tracks. This work does not happen overnight + don't the bats fly at night?

It isn't only that; but I see many problems with old railroad bridges that will take forever and more money than anybody will ever have to invest in this project. Plus many of the old lines have too many turns for high speed service - probably more curves than the Seattle train lines!

Old 12-28-2017, 05:04 PM

232 posts, read 278,482 times
Njt extension to andover that sure for now . no news about further plans but from there to pa is straight shoot.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:04 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
They haven't even finished the section from Port Morris to Andover yet. Still a bit missing, and then they need to build a station in Andover. Then there is about 20 miles west through Blairstown and to the Delaware Water Gap that is missing rails, and the DWG bridge needs repairs. They do own (NJ Transit) the entire right-of-way though, so there is nothing to stop them. It may take several years or more. The PA section from Slateford Junction to Scranton is intact, but will need upgrading, as the tracks are old and currently just used for freight.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
They haven't even finished the section from Port Morris to Andover yet. Still a bit missing, and then they need to build a station in Andover. Then there is about 20 miles west through Blairstown and to the Delaware Water Gap that is missing rails, and the DWG bridge needs repairs. They do own (NJ Transit) the entire right-of-way though, so there is nothing to stop them. It may take several years or more. The PA section from Slateford Junction to Scranton is intact, but will need upgrading, as the tracks are old and currently just used for freight.
Before I was talking about Google Earth and following the tracks. The imagery from the Port Morris area is 8 months older than from the Andover area. But I am not 'seeing' any major construction. It is possible that something happened after 8/27/2016 when the picture was taken?

Before I have talked about the old viaduct that crosses the Delaware. I do not feel rail will ever come back to our side of the river until we address that problem. Route 80 is constricted to only 4 lanes until that bridge that dates back to 1929 is removed and replaced. It is such a massive structure that it would/will shut down or hamper Route 80 traffic for a very long time while being replaced. It is also possible that we would fight endangered bats, snail darters, the historic foundation and who knows what else to get the project done. The old bridge is in desperate need of repair and poses a danger to our major interstate.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
I don't think anything has been extended in the past couple of years. There has been some controversy about a culvert near the future site of the Andover station, where the area could flood if not properly repaired or reconstructed.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Elon Musk will have his Hyperloop up and running here before that train ever gets built!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania