Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times

Advertisements

I'm snowed in...but I have 2 boxes of Mrs. T's mini pierogies.....
That might be lunch tomorrow if I don't go to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
PAman, I very much disagree with you about having to grow up with certain foods to like them. I didn't have a pierogi until I was an adult and I love them now. I also love Halupki and Haluska, never tried them until we moved up here ten years ago. I think you just have to be brought up to think that trying different foods is a fun thing. I can't think of any ethnic food that I've tried that I really didn't like unless you count chitlins.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
PAman, I very much disagree with you about having to grow up with certain foods to like them. I didn't have a pierogi until I was an adult and I love them now. I also love Halupki and Haluska, never tried them until we moved up here ten years ago. I think you just have to be brought up to think that trying different foods is a fun thing. I can't think of any ethnic food that I've tried that I really didn't like unless you count chitlins.
Yes...I agree...but I think what Paman is trying to say....if you ate pierogi all your life and had the potato cheese filling...how would you feel about the sauerkraut or prune filling?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Oh, that makes sense. Sort of like my husband originally preferring his Mom's Velveeta mac and cheese over my cheddar cheese mac and cheese. Fortunately, he saw the light after a few years.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM

59 posts, read 311,982 times
look what this topic has brought! 6 pages! wow! about polish food! haha! wonderful! Yes, thats exactly what I am trying to say, my babcia and dzadziu only made pieorgi with potato or kraut filling, not this weird Mrs T. filling styles...I think I stand corrected as well, my parents did raise me to be open to trying everything at least once, and I think that has helped me reach far beyond the eastern european style to include some rather interesting tastes in my diet, though when it boils down to it, I will do anything to get a good polish meal...I forged through the snow and sleet of the valley yesterday to go to a restaurant because tuesday is stuffed cabbage aka halupki day. I'm planning a trip to Novacks in the near future, can't wait....I'll also hit up the german place suggested here as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:14 AM

I'm excited too PaMan...and there is a pretty long thread on the Food and Drink forum that started as stuffed cabbage....you might want to checl that out too...great poster by the name of Steve is sharing some great recipes, sounds like he knows his stuff. He is of Hungarian decent.
Anyway...all this talk is making me thing I might try to roganize a Polish Dinner with my family, I have some Aunt's and Uncle's who have also come back to their home state to retire who live near me. When I was a kid and we all lived on Long Island, a party in Pa at Grandma & Granpa's meant a lot of this good food. They are gone for many years, no more parties, all the cousins are grown wirh their own families...
I was thinknig of having everyone making a dish...kielbasa, pierogi, stuffed cabbage, and noodles and cabbage...nut and poppyseed roll for dessert...or maybe Steve's crepes on the other thread... My hubby and kids don't eat anything but pierogi though...don't know if they'll want to come to my party.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Just came on this post by accident. Thanks for the compliments on my STUFFED CABBAGE etc. Found a WEB site that some may want to check out and print out a few RECIPES. I DID!!!!. These are HUNGARIAN and differ a little (lot) compared to my abbreviated RECIPES I posted. The ones I posted were from memory of my mothers Recipes. Anyway, CHECK OUT HUNGARIAN RECIPES and then Ethnic Recipes/Recipes from Hungary. Some were some things I never heard of by my mother. Good comparisons to check out. Stefhen

Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 11,799 times
Default The best pierogi's

I live in Florida now but a few years back when I lived in Scranton and worked in Naticoke, there was this place in Nanticoke called Rentko's- they made the best pierogi's around lent in an old church building that i think is the owner's home- kind of wierd, you would call ahead and place your order and pick them up on certain days of the week.. They were the best ever!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Prune Pierogies? ICK!!!
you have no clue . . .

they are divine!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Yes...I agree...but I think what Paman is trying to say....if you ate pierogi all your life and had the potato cheese filling...how would you feel about the sauerkraut or prune filling?
it helps to grow up with stuff. i mean i like chopped liver but assuming i didnt grow up with it the though of eating an animal organ i got to admit is pretty nasty.

on the other hand there is probley alot of stuff we wouldnt eat as kids that we eat now. or even the reverse. i bet theres stuff you ate as kids you wouldnt eat now. when was the last time you had a nose booger? ha ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania