Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,878 times

Advertisements

So it looks like we will be moving from Atlanta to Northern PA. My husband will be working in Fairfield NJ. I would love to hear any feedback on possible areas to live. We would like to keep the commute to an hour. Looked online at Easton, Stroudburg... Schools and quality of life (meaning a nice place, not too rural) are priorities. Thank you in advance!!

When are you moving? 3-6 MONTHS
Where are you coming from? Atlanta
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Fairfield NJ
Have you been here yet? No, but my husband grew up in pa many years ago

Will you buy or rent? BUY
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? HOUSE; under $325
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 4 year old
Do you prefer public or private schools? PUBLIC
Do you have pets? Dog
Do you want or need a yard? Prefer a yard but not required
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Suberb in a metro area is preferred- used to Atlanta

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- understand it will be a commute
Shopping- i like to shop
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I welcome diversity

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...#ixzz3vjBpQErM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I realize that houses are less expensive in Pennsylvania, but wouldn't it be better to just find a smaller house in New Jersey and live there? The schools are better and your husband could spend more time with his family. Winters can be long and traffic stinks between both places if you choose PA. The way schools are funded in PA is very different than Georgia - most of it is local funding so school taxes are high and our city schools are the worst. Make sure you look at ALL the taxes when you compare cost of housing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Suggest that you do a Zillow home search of Morris, Sussex, Warren and Somerset Counties in NJ. You will find plenty of homes in your price range. The commute to Fairfield from Monroe or Pike Counties in PA will wear your husband out. There are many posts on the NEPA forum attesting to that fact. And unlike Atlanta, he must contend with winter driving conditions for 4 or 5 months of the year; not a pleasant prospect.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
I'm going to be honest when I say and attest from having lived there, the area around Fairfield is aptly called "The armpit of the nation" Very congested, very urban and mostly concrete jungle. That is a hellish commute to and from the Poconos, I never understood why people want to make that murder of a drive. I dread driving to Scranton and back when I work up there and that is just 25 miles up one highway. I think your best bet is likely a house a little south of there in Morristown, Chatham or Summit. Maybe even Basking Ridge which is nice and just a bit farther once you are on 287. From the job he would just do 80 West to 287 South and for Summit you just split off on 24 South from 287. No matter where you go though around those armpit parts of Jersey you will hit congestion but you certainly will have nightlife and shopping all over. No shortage of things to do in North Jersey. I grew up there and visit the area often as I have family and friends still there. Or you husband could just choose to lose a quarter of his free time in the car driving 80 because 80 is really the only option you will have to go to PA and back in any kind of reasonable time. Good Luck on the move and let us know what you decide.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Just browsed some homes and you can scratch Basking Ridge off lol. Unless of course you want to spend a cool million on a $300,000 house. My mom used to live Denville and it was nice and not too congested and I just checked the prices, they are still in the 300 range there. It is just a bit further than 287 going West on 80. Otherwise, do check out Morristown as you will find affordable homes there as well.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:05 PM

if your family has your heart set on PA then Stroudsburg is really the only choice roughly and hour from his job and that is without traffic problems. You will find affordable homes there but some sections have gotten a bit dicey there anymore. I only went into Stroudsburg once by accident and was happy to get right back out. That said with a grain of salt though, why not rent in Stroudsburg to start and see if you like it? Look around for the best neighborhoods before buying, check out the areas in Jersey and see how places like Tannersville, PA suit you. Just keep in mind, any further than Stroudsburg and your husband is going to be getting a longer commute .

Old 12-30-2015, 05:56 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
if your family has your heart set on PA then Stroudsburg is really the only choice roughly and hour from his job and that is without traffic problems. You will find affordable homes there but some sections have gotten a bit dicey there anymore. I only went into Stroudsburg once by accident and was happy to get right back out. That said with a grain of salt though, why not rent in Stroudsburg to start and see if you like it? Look around for the best neighborhoods before buying, check out the areas in Jersey and see how places like Tannersville, PA suit you. Just keep in mind, any further than Stroudsburg and your husband is going to be getting a longer commute .

I always say the same thing; rent first, before you buy. They are moving from Georgia; they are not used to our winters and the cold. We have many that have moved to PA to escape the higher property values and then find that the commute was a killer and not worth the savings. Ideally they want to be as close to his job as possible; it gives him more 'family time'. That said; of course it is their decision.

I also agree about being as close to our State line as possible; if they are going to do the commute. PA is a long state and the farther you go into our State; the longer the out-of-state commute. I don't know why people don't look in the Mt. Bethel/Portland area - but I don't know if there are any homes available there?

Old 12-30-2015, 07:20 AM

335 posts, read 324,814 times
Hi Kat. For your price range, why not just look into the Parsippany- Lake Hiawatha area? Maybe Denville? You may get a little less house for the money, but the quality of your husbands life will increase ten fold. And as far as calling Fairfield the arm pit of the nation is, well, extreme. Granted, Jersey has Newark that is closely associated with another body part located a little lower, but it's worlds apart. I'm well aware of the taxes in NJ, but you must decide between family time and the just awful commute that faces your husband.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
And as far as calling Fairfield the arm pit of the nation is, well, extreme.

Said tongue in cheek of course I was more generally speaking about that whole area near Newark and New York in New Jersey. Super congested and lots of not so pretty sites like the oil refineries and driving the Turnpike or any of those massive concrete and steel areas where you drive with thousands of other vehicles all trying to get 10 different exits in the same 10 miles. Also a bit tongue in cheek but you know I'm not that far off in my assessment if you've ever been there. If they focus on houses further West around Denville they will avoid the major congested spots. Going south on 287 for a house will be ok but I wouldn't suggest farther than Morristown. My mom currently lives in Springfield, NJ and you really start to see the Newark, New York, Bayonne, Hoboken spillover there. I've been caught in traffic on 78 around there and it was not pretty.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Fairfield is not an armpit, but I'd be concerned about flooding in certain sections. Fairfield, Lincoln Park, and a few other places by the Passaic River always seem to be underwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania