Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:44 PM

191 posts, read 394,287 times

Advertisements

Since msedwards83 and her husband both have commercial drivers liscenses and this region is saturated with driving companies, I doubt the pending question is securing prompt employment to exist here, but rather whether the move she's thinking of making to this area would overall improve her families quality of life. In my opinion, absolutely, New York city is becoming so gentrified that it's turning into a place exclusively for the wealthiest, while pricing out the lower economic population.This region of PA is one of the closest affordable areas left, families can give there kids a decent education, buy a nice house without having it be an unattainable pipe dream, to me the risk is worth the gander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Since msedwards83 and her husband both have commercial drivers liscenses and this region is saturated with driving companies, I doubt the pending question is securing prompt employment to exist here, but rather whether the move she's thinking of making to this area would overall improve her families quality of life. In my opinion, absolutely, New York city is becoming so gentrified that it's turning into a place exclusively for the wealthiest, while pricing out the lower economic population.This region of PA is one of the closest affordable areas left, families can give there kids a decent education, buy a nice house without having it be an unattainable pipe dream, to me the risk is worth the gander.
Most of the CDL jobs are for Class A on the road, not advisable when one has children, imo. Also, having come from NY, there is a class C distinction which is not totally comparable to PA Class C. So if they have NY C- which is usually held by school bus drivers, small box trucks, etc they'd have to upgrade and test for at least PA Class B and then add appropriate endorsement. All charged separately. My other half has a PA Class A with multiple endorsements, upgraded from NY Class C with endorsements. Cost a few hundred dollars. Oh and you need to pay to get the permit for your class and wait 15 days before you can take the written and road tests

Old 01-12-2016, 05:41 PM

191 posts, read 394,287 times
Yea I'm not sure what liscenses they carry specifically but I know it's a good gig up here from talking to my wife's uncles who are all truckers from the poconos. I know a lot of jobs are popping up for short hauls , which are good because you can be home in time for dinner, also a guy I use to talk to said some of the taxi companies up here pay descent as well as fed ex here paying ok. I thought about taking up a few driving jobs during the winter months myself but luckily my construction work carried me through the last couple winters.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 PM

72 posts, read 76,305 times
I do appreciate everyone's input. Both my husband and i have our cdls with p and s endorsements. We are regular working people just trying to change our environment for the better. I never intended move without jobs or a plan,i haven't even finished my degree. I was just using this forum as a starting point. I thank you guys that sent me direct messages of encouragement. Nothing is impossible, my family is a happy family and my children are happy children, which I thank God for. Despite me wanting to I can't throw low blows, cause no one is perfect.

Last edited by msedwards83; 01-12-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania