Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 PM

72 posts, read 76,236 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been thinking of relocating Pennsylvania for years, and after a trip to one of the Villas in Bushkill I thought it may just be possible. I was thinking Pike or Monroe County. However, after reading some of post on this forum maybe not. We fit just about every stereotype imaginable that people complain about. I do have a Section 8 voucher. People seem to despise people with section 8, it's just impossible to afford over $2,000 for a two bedroom here in the city. When my dad got cancer and couldn't afford the rent he was issued a voucher, after his death I remained in the apartment and raised my siblings. I am from Brooklyn and black. There were many references to "du-rags" ,thugs, and "trash" destroying the neighborhoods. Although race wasn't mention I can kinda figure who they were talking about. Commuting was a though but both my husband and I are school bus driver and attendant, and people who commute seem to be the doctors and lawyers, so I though it would be possible to find a half way decent job. We both are in our 30's and college students working on our degrees. It was also mentioned that most of the teens are usually bored. We have three girls 9,12, and 16. They don't run the streets here in the city (wouldn't stand for that nonsense), we are all pretty much home bodies. We are very outdoorsy so for fun we do a lot of camping, barbecuing, and family nights at home. I don't club because I hate blaring music and huge crowds when alcohol is involved. My kids had their hopes up because of the possible move but now I'm terrified. We live around white people and have white friends with zero problems. I have a thick skin (although I've never been subjected to overt racism) I just would hate for my children to be targeted because they outsiders. I've read about drivebys, drugs, and robbers out there, while here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn I can't remember the last time I've heard a gun shot. We struggle here because of the outrageous prices, and I thought we fair a little better. BTW my degree is in education and my husband is business both only at associates level. Can we find a job, I wouldn't mind commuted up to 45 minutes to an hour because I currently commute from Brooklyn to the Bronx 2x a day. I know this is long winded and probably has been ask 1,000x but any feed back would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM

When are you moving? 3-6 MONTHS
Where are you coming from? NYC
Why are you moving? tired of city life
Where will you be working? not sure
Have you been here yet? yes but only on vacation. I have family in Tannersville and Lancaster
Will you buy or rent? rent with section 8
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? HOUSE; under
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? A house
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, three girls 9, 12, 16
Do you prefer public or private schools? PUBLIC
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? Prefer a yard but not required
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet
What do you want to be closest to? Jobs
Work- understand it will be a commute
Shopping- basic shopping- I love to thrift
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Being from NYC I'm surrounding by and have friends from everywhere

Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
First and foremost, have you confirmed that you can port your voucher over to PA? The local housing authority has to approve a port before you can even begin a search. Despite all the talk of "section 8" and other voucher programs overrunning the Poconos, there is not a wealth of available listings.

Re: employment, good luck from a commuter. You're looking at a steep paycut no matter what field you're in. Do you drive? If not, you'll need to learn and have at least 2 very reliable vehicles. Your kids will also need to learn at some point and probably need cars as well

Poconos living in reality is not cheaper dollar for dollar compared to NYC. Any savings you think are there more than likely aren't.

Start with potentially needing to purchase vehicles, insurance, gas, maintenance. Heating for your home, you'll more than likely need to pay for your own. Unlike NYC, heat and water, garbage, and sewer are not generally included in rent. That's 4 new bills to contend with.

Food prices run about the same across the board and you're most likely driving to the supermarket. So what you've potentially saved is now eaten up by the costs to get there/back.

My advice is to think long and hard before making the leap.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

I have spoken to both housing authorities here and there, and porting is possible. In fact NYC is the one who will pick up the tab since PA isn't absorbing at the moment. Since both my husband and work the portion Section 8 pays is miniscule. I've been in contact with several landlords who are willing to accept it. Honestly I'm holding on to it because you never know.

We both drive and have reliable cars. My husband is an unofficial mechanic do he tends to most of the minor upkeep. Plus through family we get a huge discount on tires. We currently pay all our utilities ( gas, electric, heat, and hot water). Of course a house would incur higher charges (we average about $300 monthly In the winter months) but I'll manage.

We are quite responsible people just looking to raise our children in a house. When i get my income tax i always pay off several months rent and over pay my bills, just in case.

We've thought long and hard for years and thought we were ready, but I've definitely built up some reservations after reading on this forum. I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible, but people seem so miserable and negative in PA. Minus a few wacky bumper stickers, people seemed so nice in PA, blacks and whites. I'll consider other places, although I loved the remoteness of The area.

Thanks again for your feedback as suggestions.

Also Since PA isn't paying ANYTHING towards my rent, i have the option to move back to the city after a year or when my lease is up. Also once i secure an apartment section 8 will pay the back rent for house for however long the landlord holds it for me if it takes a while with the Paper work up to three months. From what i heard from realtors many are willing to take it they houses just aren't up to par (insulation eg)

Last edited by msedwards83; 01-08-2016 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: include info

Old 01-08-2016, 04:48 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
why would you even think about moving in to the depressed job market of nepa .

new york city offers the greatest job potential and opportunity for success anywhere .

as they say , if you can't make it here where are you going to make it .

i think that move would be a terrible choice

Old 01-08-2016, 04:56 AM

Also I'm very aware of the pay cut, and it WAS a shock to the system. I'm a bus matron here and we make $110 a day to start. Once I'm off the bus i work as para-professional (teacher assistant) at $140 a day to start and a $50 increase per day when obtain our associate degree. In PA they only pay $60 per day and an associates degree is required to make $80!

Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 AM

Minus our jobs (which of course are important as heck) I've always wanted a county life. While It's true Broadway and Time Square are wonderful I probably go once a year and i only live 30 minutes away on the train if that. I guess i just want to experience living in a house while my kids are still with us. They are growing up so fast .

Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 AM

Most americans work their entire lives at great careers and never end up with that vision in their head of that house in the countrybecause they just can't afford it or the pay cut .

My opinion is i think you need to concentrate more on improving your financial situations , become more independent on your own money before you can start living wishes and dreams .

i know if i was on public assistance i would not be looking to move to an area with less potential for any kind of financial success ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-08-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 AM

I appreciate your frankness. I pay over $1600 dollars a month for my apartment out of pocket. Everyone deserves to live the American dream despite what you say. I bust my behind each an everyday! I have money in the bank. I hold on to my section 8 because of my husband drops dead tomorrow I'll be able to keep my apartment. I know people throughout PA who are doing decent. I despise discouraging people. This has to be the most discouraging forum in the world. I have no intention of destroyong anyone's community with my section 8 trashiness. In fact it just might help some struggling soul to keep from foreclosing. Have a great day.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 AM

it isn't the forum that is negative . it is the pay and cost of living in nepa do not match . the pay is lower then the col. the job potential stinks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania