Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 AM

7 posts, read 24,388 times

Advertisements

HI, I'm Theresa, 23 years old, and currently living in Queens, NY. My mother's decided that it's become too expensive to live here and wants to relocate our family (her, me, and 2 younger siblings) to the Wilkes-Barre area. We've been looking at houses, and are continuing to on the weekend, but we haven't settled on one yet. We will be moving in the next month or so, and at the moment I'm looking for other local peoples opinion of the area, advice on interesting places to check out, and possibly to make some new friends in the area.

One thing I am wondering about is comments I've heard from people around Wilkes-Barre on other sites (Myspace and Craigslist). Mostly I've heard good things, about a really nice town and really nice people and all, but I've also heard some comments about a drug problem in the area. At first I figured that it wasn't a big deal cause I know for a fact that just about anywhere you go that it's possible to find a "connection" who can get you what you want.

But I've heard from a couple of people and it's making me wonder. One person said he didn't like the town so much because of the drugs and hookers he said were around. I've heard from a girl in Scranton who's recovering from drug and alcohol abuse, who says she went to Wilkes-Barre for the bars and drug dealers she found there. And right on Craigslist I heard of a group who apparently likes to stand on street corners with signs, who like to work against drug dealers in Wilkes-Barre, and want to help those addicted to drugs. It seems there really might be an issue. But how bad exactly is it over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
I live in Wilkes Barre and have never seen a druggie filled street corner. There are a few areas to be careful such as South Wilkes Barre but most of the dealing happens in and around the bars. Most of the area is nice, quiet and safe. Mayor Leighton is continuing his pledge to reduce crime in his new term and has plans to hire additional police officers. He just added I believe 18 last year and crime watch organizations have been bolstered into one coalition.

His Revitilization efforts for the town are on the upswing and I think you will be happy here.

Here is a note from the Mayor that I posted recently :

Through the cooperation of city council, community partners and county, state and federal government agencies, the City of Wilkes-Barre has achieved success during the past four years. There is still more work to be done, and my administration looks forward to continuing our city's renaissance throughout the coming year.

The Pine Ridge Estates housing development is growing, with two single-family homes under construction and 27 units already completed. Mill Street Homes, two affordable, single-family homes located on the vacant site of the former S &: S School, will also welcome families. In each area, these attractive homes will add to the city's efforts to renew its neighborhoods by providing qUality housing opportunities for middle income buyers.

The condition of over 25 roads throughout the city will be improved through paving projects. Kirby Park will receive infrastructure upgrades, decorative lighting and electrical advancements. The park's track area will also see major renovations through the efforts of The Luzerne Foundation's public campaign, which will match donations from the public on a two to one basis.

Work is scheduled to be completed on the $22 million Intermodal Transportation Facility, which will include over 750 public parking spaces and will unify buses and taxis to one central location. The third phase of the Downtown Streetlight and Streetscape Enhancement Project will commence, lighting Franklin, Washington, Union and Northampton Streets. This substantial increase in public parking spots and street-level lighting will continue to encourage pedestrian traffic and business growth in the downtown.

This growth has included the opening of Quizno's Subs, Januzzi's Pizza, Butler Eyecare, Cafe Toscana, Thai Thai and more over the past year. Further down South Main Street, retail has been extended by Donn Michael's Salon, Capturing Memories by Denice and Tony Di's Pizza. In each case, private developers have shown their confidence in the city's future by investing their time, money and resources into the downtown. This trend will continue as more businesses choose downtown Wilkes-Barre as their home in the coming months.

Coal Street Park will be renovated by the City of Wilkes-Barre into a premier recreational area. Once a landmark, known for its fun activities and family atmosphere, Coal Street Park will again become a destination for residents and visitors. The adjacent Coal Street roadway will be widened into five lanes and extend directly into downtown.

Luzerne County's Riverfront Development Project has made considerable progress over the past year. Combined with CityVest's rehabilitation of the Hotel Sterling, the River Street corridor will once again become a grand entrance to the city.

The City of Wilkes-Barre will offer another year of fun, family-oriented events, including the St. Patrick's Day Parade on March 16, the Cherry Blossom Festival on April 26 and 27, the Farmers' Market from June through November, the Fourth of July Celebration and the Christmas Parade and tree-lighting ceremony on November 22. Crowds at these annual events have been outstanding, and we are currently planning even more activities for you to enjoy.

During the next twelve months, my administration looks forward to turning challenges into opportunities, transforming plans into reality and continuing to lead Wilkes-Barre toward a bright future. Best wishes for a happy and safe 2008!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM

188 posts, read 156,263 times
Good Luck I hope you and your family find joy, and what your looking for.

You can find anything if you look for it. Good or Bad

This area is full of good people, good schools, and good communities. You can find hope, within a church on many corners.

When you come to visit, and to search for your new home, before you look to see what the inside of the house looks like, walk through the neighborhood. If you see people, engage with them in conversation. You can hear what they say, and also, get a feel for who they are. If you don't see anyone, than knock on doors and do the same.

Be careful of coarse, I don't know your age or stature, so don't be alone, and don't go in to homes, unless you know it's safe.

Good Luck, and hope this works out for you.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 PM

173 posts, read 582,239 times
Hello, i live about 20 miles south of wilkes-barre. I go to Wilkesbarre often to shop and i can say i have never seen a drug dealer or hooker anywhere. Not saying there aren't bad parts of town, but that is to be expected with any area. I do not believe there are any more drugs in Wilkesbarre then there are other parts of NEPA.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 11,546 times
I think you may be better off in Scranton.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
What makes you think that Scranton is any better? Every city has its problems but what the city gov't does to try and stop it or control it should indicate that they are trying to clean it up. At least Wilkes Barres mayor admits that they have problems. Scrantons mayor still believes that my little pony and the smurfs lead happy and progressive lives in a city that has no crime. Just yesterday there was a home invasion up by the U of S where 5 guys with guns and knives broke in and demanded the computers, game systems and cash from the students at gun point.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
LOL Let's all be one happy valley huh? I am pleased with the progress I see all over the valley, Wilkes Barre and Scranton alike. This positive trend towards relocation here is changing both Luzerne and Lackawanna for the better.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM

188 posts, read 156,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
What makes you think that Scranton is any better? Every city has its problems but what the city gov't does to try and stop it or control it should indicate that they are trying to clean it up. At least Wilkes Barres mayor admits that they have problems. Scrantons mayor still believes that my little pony and the smurfs lead happy and progressive lives in a city that has no crime. Just yesterday there was a home invasion up by the U of S where 5 guys with guns and knives broke in and demanded the computers, game systems and cash from the students at gun point.
ESCALATION

Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

I work in Wilkes-Barre and live in Scranton and I can say without a doubt that Scranton is MUCH better off than Wilkes-Barre in the areas of crime and safety. Although if Doherty doesn't get his head out of his arse and take care of the police department, things could change....

Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I would say after the armed invasion on Taylor ave that things have started to change and its only getting worse. Look how hard they are trying to not say that the lady that was found along 380 and 80 was killed here. She was last seen here driving around the city and the last place she was seen was on the tracks over Olive and Capouse. They are desperatly spinning crime every which way. The fact that "we" had to have the security cameras in the downtown so we could be like Baltimore and they are not even hooked up. They do not have the capacity to record. The guy that was jumped by 10 kids right in front of the mall in front of the camera and there is no recording. The kids get away and he goes to the hospital. The change has started and we are going to see a increase in the violent nature of the crimes simply because we do not have the officers to effectively police the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania