Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I used to live in the Poconos, years ago, but moved down near Philly...and every single day, there is someone tailgating you. It has been a topic of conversation....it seems the younger generation doesn't realize, your supposed to stay a good distance back...and that is probably why your having so many more pile ups during bad weather.

I asked my son about it and he agreed....and said, he doesn't know what they are teaching this younger generation, but there are many of them that tail gate, and when you break check them, especially women, they don't have a clue why your doing that. This morning, there was a woman right on my butt, and I did the break check thing, twice, and she had no idea what I was doing.

Years ago they use to tell us one car link for every ten miles per hour. Now, for passenger cars, they tell us four seconds for speeds over forty. Maybe it is more confusing since the younger generation cannot do math without a calculator! Or, perhaps, they are using a calculator while they run up your butt!

What gets drivers mad about tailgaters is that they forced their way into our safety zone. You do not have as many options available to you; if you have to make an emergency stop. You now have to worry about the car behind you slamming into your backside. If the tailgater was not there you might be able to go off on the shoulder if the car in front of you stopped quickly for and unknown reason. Or you might be able to swerve around the driver? We like options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Years ago they use to tell us one car link for every ten miles per hour. Now, for passenger cars, they tell us four seconds for speeds over forty. Maybe it is more confusing since the younger generation cannot do math without a calculator! Or, perhaps, they are using a calculator while they run up your butt!

What gets drivers mad about tailgaters is that they forced their way into our safety zone. You do not have as many options available to you; if you have to make an emergency stop. You now have to worry about the car behind you slamming into your backside. If the tailgater was not there you might be able to go off on the shoulder if the car in front of you stopped quickly for and unknown reason. Or you might be able to swerve around the driver? We like options.
Your absolutely right....the roads I travel have tons of deer...can't tell you how often I've had to stop....
or slam on my breaks b/c of deer...and I've been traveling that road for 22 years now...however, it seems that tail gating has gotten worse....so much so, that a lot of people are talking about it, and the younger generation apparently isn't being taught not to do it, and when someone taps their brakes, they don't seem to know, and it's been my experience, it's especially women...

they don't have a clue...?

It's not the idea of the fact, that I fear getting killed, but I fear the , inconvenience of an accident...not to mention, MY insurance then goes up...and I'm sick of it. It goes up horrendously every year, and I constantly ask, "why should I be penelized, for the mistakes of others?" I'm being told there are a whole lot more accidents in my area, the past 6 years....and there are, fatal ones at that. But, what also comes into play are people who are tail gating and texting or talking on the phone.

I think every single car, should have some kind of mechanism put in place, that when you get in your car, you have to place your cell phone in it, or else your car won't start.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think every single car, should have some kind of mechanism put in place, that when you get in your car, you have to place your cell phone in it, or else your car won't start.

Actually there is one answer to tailgating that, I believer, is now available. Many of the new vehicles come with sensors that tell drivers when they are too close or approaching too fast. What I am not sure of is if these vehicle automatically slow you down or apply the breaks?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually there is one answer to tailgating that, I believer, is now available. Many of the new vehicles come with sensors that tell drivers when they are too close or approaching too fast. What I am not sure of is if these vehicle automatically slow you down or apply the breaks?
LOL, I'm shaking my head, this is the perfect example of how human beings "think" they are above the law.
I started another thread, just to see if people know what brake checking is?

but yes, they actually have to put these mechanisums in cars to keep people from killing other people.

(worry, I can't spell worth a darn)

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
I think it has been sufficiently established that the OP is a certified Troll who lives under the Mill Creek Bridge in Miners Mills Pa.

It is just a matter of time before Billy Goat Gruff cones by and kicks his/her arse into the Creek...

Then we can all Har-de Har.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 03-22-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Hi everybody! Sorry it took me so long to check in!

I drive South from the Lehigh Valley to the Philly airport or lower Delaware about once a month and I steel myself for different driving once I get on the Blue route (476 South of the east-west turnpike). To me, it's like night and day with the space people think is okay between cars on the Northeast extension and in the Philadelphia area. I tend to drive a little fast but I really, really like some distance between myself and vehicles in front. It's just common sense to drive like the locals to avoid accidents, minus the cell phone nonsense, but it often takes a little time to realize what the norm is. Being brake-checked is a good clue about that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania