Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Thoughts? I just received this via e-mail today. It states quite clearly that "even those who do not attend or live in" the district can get free breakfast and lunch 5 days a week. I assume it's a federal program, and I take it as a sign of a bad economy when people are simply not expected to provide for their own families.

================================================== ===============

Summer Breakfast and Lunch Program
East Stroudsburg Area School District

This summer, the East Stroudsburg Area School District will serve FREE breakfast and lunch to children 18 and younger!

This program is open to everyone, even those whose do not attend or live in the East Stroudsburg Area School District.

The program will begin June 1st and will end August 19th.

Both breakfast and lunch are offered Monday through Friday (excluding July 4th).

Breakfast is served from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM.*

Lunch is served from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM.*

There is no charge for either the breakfast or lunch meal for those 18 and younger.

(Adults over the age of 18 may purchase either meal for a nominal charge.)

* - Times and dates may vary by location. Please refer to the East Stroudsburg Area School District Food Services Website for each summer site's locations, dates, times and additional program information.

Last edited by jtab4994; 06-15-2016 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Removed the editing control-sequences from the e-mail copy/paste

Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
All Public School Districts who participate in the Free breakfast/lunch program must make the people in their district aware of the Summer program.

Four years ago, when I was minding grandchildren for the Summer, we were made aware of the program and the different locations where it was being held. A friend was on one of the committees and she suggested that we attend. We didn't. She called and was quite insistent that we should attend because if there weren't enough takers the program would be discontinued and some very needy children would be without. I took the girls and we went - once - and we were the only ones there. The lunches were transported and dropped off in coolers and consisted (that day) of orange sections, some cheese sticks and crackers. I told my friend that there didn't seem to be much of a need since no one was there. We declined the lunch but did accept bottled water.

The following week, the friend picked up the girls and went to a different free lunch location. When she dropped the kids off later, I asked them what they had for lunch and they laughed and said that Mrs.----- had suggested that it might be fun to skip lunch and go for ice cream, which they did. On a later occasion, I spoke to Mrs.----- and she said that there was such a rowdy bunch pushing and pawing for the free lunch that "we don't need to be drawn into that".

I do believe that there are children who don't get three squares a day when school is not in session. While my heart hurts for them, I do my part by seeing to it that my grandkids are not among that group.

jtab, you might want to attend one of these lunches - as an adult you can purchase a meal for a nominal fee - and see just what your tax dollars are buying.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
On a later occasion, I spoke to Mrs.----- and she said that there was such a rowdy bunch pushing and pawing for the free lunch that "we don't need to be drawn into that".
Not surprised.

Quote:
jtab, you might want to attend one of these lunches - as an adult you can purchase a meal for a nominal fee - and see just what your tax dollars are buying.
I can't wait.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Not surprised.

I can't wait.

LOL!! From everything I've read on our local site, the food is from a (well-known) food bank; donations from private citizens; the CEO.

Actually, if I'm recalling accurately (no guarantees there ) the transport of the food in coolers was handled by the CEO. Volunteers waited at the distribution sites and when the food arrived, they took control of handing out the lunches. Bearing in mind that on my only trip to a site, there were no takers and the volunteer was almost in tears to have us take lunch and even take some home. Anything so it wouldn't look like the program wasn't needed in our area.

At the second site, where Mrs.----- took the girls, they reported quite a crowd waiting for the food.

Today, in looking over the distribution sites for my area, the two that were on my radar from four years ago are no longer listed as lunch sites.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM

There is no mention on ESASD's website of who's paying for it, which leads me to believe the money is provided by the Feds.

On the menu are things like hamburger/cheeseburger, hot dogs, etc. so it doesn't sound like it's coming in from a food bank in coolers.

Things must be nice up in Forty Fort if nobody is showing up for free food. There is a great deal of poverty in the East Stroudsburg area, and I'd be surprised if nobody shows up.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM

I certainly didn't intend this to be a confrontational discussion about food for hungry children. I make no apology for how things are in Forty Fort. I simply tendered the information that it didn't seem to be a priority for this area. My experience is limited to the incidents of four years ago so can't judge who is in need, or why. (The experience actually took place in West Wyoming, which is about 10 minutes north of Forty Fort.)

I quoted only the local web site about who was supplying the food for the Summer lunch program. That seems to be the source for Luzerne County. As for need, while I'm sure there are people here living in poverty (technically, I'm one!) there are far more in the Hazelton area so I'm sure the program would be well-attended there.

I don't live in E. 'burg but I have grandchildren who grew up there. They most definitely were not low income. If, as you say, there is need in E. 'burg for this program, I'm glad that children there will have some continuum of meals while school is in recess. I'm a parent who always provided for my family, but for those children who don't have that resource, I would hate to see them go hungry.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I certainly didn't intend this to be a confrontational discussion about food for hungry children.

LOL, I didn't realize my comment about Forty Fort being nice came across as confrontational!

I'm from a New Jersey suburb where, I have to confess, things were nice. At least back in the day they were, and I'm still taken aback by the widespread poverty I see in Monroe County.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
I think the OP should crack open a copy of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol when he has the time.
just wondering why this has raised the hackles of what I perceive to be, from his posts and location..a finacially comfortable Caucasian white Male?

Ever see hungry kids?

ever see the happiness and contentment in their eyes when they have had enough to eat?

I have experienced. 30+ years on the job as a Senior investigator in the wilds of Trenton, Camden, and Newark streets.

The kids parents may be loser, crackhead, welfare recipients..but kids are still kids..especially hungry kids.

Thank your lucky stars for your fortune..

If Your tax dollars are feeding a hungry kid..feel good about it.

Do what Theater Gypsy said..visit.the center .put your toes in the sand..don't be afraid..you might be suprised at what you see.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 06-15-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 07:10 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
Although I don't agree with Mr Magoo's assumption that the Op is white and well off, falls into stereotyping and race baiting ,I can agree with his overall point.It's nice to know our community takes care of its own or at least makes the effort with programs like this.The areas is plagued by a large homeless population, as well as working poor, if a couple bucks are taken from my checks so be it, its necessary , this country wasn't built by the self centered and self entitled.Besides that, this is an open forum to everyones opinions on topics, Mr Magoo and I may have a diffence of opinions , but thats ok , thats the point!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
just wondering why this has raised the hackles...

Sorry I wasn't clear. It was the part about not having to live in the school district to get free breakfast and lunch at the schools during the summer. I'm guessing it's paid for by federal money, but they don't make that clear.

BTW I could tell you stories about how many hungry kids I've seen and where, and what I did about it, but that isn't the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania