Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times

Advertisements

I lived and grew up in Central PA. In the mid-70's during college, I worked in a resort called Fernwood as a waitress. I worked there for 5 summers from the summer after I graduated high school until after I graduated from college. We would work breakfast and dinner and serve the guests who stayed there and had their meals included in their room rate. Fernwood and other resorts used to hire kids from Europe to work there also, we'd all get free room and board. What a party time that was, but I also made enough money to put myself through college!

Any locals work there at that time? Do the resorts still do that? Is Fernwood still open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Default The Bear Creek Bearman

When I was in 5th, 6th grade and junior high school, my best friend lived in Trailwood about a mile from the Turnpike entrance on Rt. 115. She and I loved to play in the woods and camp in the yard. Her older brother loved to scare the daylights out of us and tell the story of the bearman. I can't relate that story because it changed every time he told it. He tried his best to scare us.

I wonder where or when he got the idea that there had ever been a bearman.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I lived and grew up in Central PA. In the mid-70's during college, I worked in a resort called Fernwood as a waitress. I worked there for 5 summers from the summer after I graduated high school until after I graduated from college. We would work breakfast and dinner and serve the guests who stayed there and had their meals included in their room rate. Fernwood and other resorts used to hire kids from Europe to work there also, we'd all get free room and board. What a party time that was, but I also made enough money to put myself through college!

Any locals work there at that time? Do the resorts still do that? Is Fernwood still open?
I cannot answer your questions, but remember Fernwood well....

I worked Construction in the summer months and waited tables in winter, and worked at a lot of local diners/restaurants there.

Saylorsburg Inn, Saylorsburg Diner, worked at one of the resorts, but not long, didn't care for it...and I forget which one....(please excuse me, but my memory is not so good, I have MS)

Anyway, also drove down to Hotel Bethlehem and worked there...which I enjoyed...

SanyBelle, I'm very proud of you, that you put yourself thru college... way to go!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerania View Post
when i was in 5th, 6th grade and junior high school, my best friend lived in trailwood about a mile from the turnpike entrance on rt. 115. She and i loved to play in the woods and camp in the yard. Her older brother loved to scare the daylights out of us and tell the story of the bearman. I can't relate that story because it changed every time he told it. He tried his best to scare us.

lol....

Old 07-28-2016, 09:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I cannot answer your questions, but remember Fernwood well....

I worked Construction in the summer months and waited tables in winter, and worked at a lot of local diners/restaurants there.

Saylorsburg Inn, Saylorsburg Diner, worked at one of the resorts, but not long, didn't care for it...and I forget which one....(please excuse me, but my memory is not so good, I have MS)

Anyway, also drove down to Hotel Bethlehem and worked there...which I enjoyed...

SanyBelle, I'm very proud of you, that you put yourself thru college... way to go!
I used to chase around the waitresses when I was younger (before I met my wife). The one thing that did bother me is that some resorts, like Buck Hill Falls Inn, would subtract everything from their pay at the end of their stay. Many, especially underprivileged young men and women, would be bussed in from our metropolitan areas (NYC and Philadelphia) for the busy summer tourist months. After all of the pay deductions for meals, lodging, etc. they would go home almost as broke as the way they came.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used to chase around the waitresses when I was younger (before I met my wife). The one thing that did bother me is that some resorts, like Buck Hill Falls Inn, would subtract everything from their pay at the end of their stay. Many, especially underprivileged young men and women, would be bussed in from our metropolitan areas (NYC and Philadelphia) for the busy summer tourist months. After all of the pay deductions for meals, lodging, etc. they would go home almost as broke as the way they came.
Not surprised Fisheye, heard some pretty unsavvy things about those resorts...I cannot speak for them now, but had heard at one time, they were all owned by the same people.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:30 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I hope the people in the kitchen were giving away (for a small price maybe) the food that was going to be thrown out. Restaurants throw out a lot of food.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I hope the people in the kitchen were giving away (for a small price maybe) the food that was going to be thrown out. Restaurants throw out a lot of food.
Back then most of the food went to the pigs (literally). Pig farmers would pick up the 'edible' garbage and feed it to the swine. Then our State changed the rules and required the farmers to 'cook' the garbage before it was fed and eventually they stopped the practice.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I was in 5th, 6th grade and junior high school, my best friend lived in Trailwood about a mile from the Turnpike entrance on Rt. 115. She and I loved to play in the woods and camp in the yard. Her older brother loved to scare the daylights out of us and tell the story of the bearman. I can't relate that story because it changed every time he told it. He tried his best to scare us.

Bearman...that's a new one for me..but at that age..I'm sure it was scary..no matter how many times/way he told it..

We had the man with the hook for an arm..ALWAYs scared the putty out of me..no matter how many times , or different version I heard.

Mr. Wussy here..:-)

After I saw Rosemary's Baby at the RKO Lincoln in Trenton NJ ..I had to sleep with the desk light on for 2 weeks.

call me Mr. Pitiful.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
That's sad Fisheye..
I worked as a Busboy at two different restaurants in Trenton..and I have to say..the only minorities at the time were Blacks..and the only Latinos were Puerto Ricans..

The PR guys worked their butts off, at reduced wages...

but they perservered....no one would hire PR women at that time..I was only 16..
Me and my white homies looked after the Puerto Rican dudes...we played music together after shifts and got invited out to the Mill Hill section of Trenton where most of them lived at the time for parties and jam sessions.

I was a Busboy and a dishwasher..it's were I learned my life long hobby of cooking.

I was rail thin and tall..the cooks like it that I loved their food and always wanted to learn how they put it all
together.
I scored some great meals and more to take home after my shift...me and my Homies

Gerania..no wasted food as long as magoo was 'in the house'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania