Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,516 times

Advertisements

I came across this site while looking for any Alumni of Pep's Inn & Village on Rt. 507 in Tafton located on the banks of Lake Wallenpaupack. Found mention of White Beauty View which was located up the road a piece but can't find anyone on the internet who used to go to Pep's. Many fine summer vacations and a weekend in the fall were spent here for about 25-30 years. Would be glad to here from any others with memories of Pep's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,219 times
I remember Pep's well, in fact I was just thinking about Pep's, and Lake Wallenpaupack, this afternoon. Which led me to this site. When I was a kid, between about 1952-1961, my family vacationed at the lake every summer. We rented a cottage on Spinnler's Point and a row boat came with it. My mom, sister and I, and sometimes the dog, spent half our time on the lake in that little boat. We would often row down the shoreline to Pep's for a milkshake and burger on that porch. I remember White Beauty too, and movies at the little drive-in theater. Those days at Wallenpaupack are my favorite memories of growing up; I looked forward to those two weeks all year long and hated to leave. I'm pushing 70 now and would give anything to be able to go back to those simpler times, just for a week or two.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 8,516 times
Great to get a reply. I turned 61 back in July and still think about Pep's frequently. My family and I live about 30 miles west of Philadelphia and about 3 years ago now, we took a day trip to Wallenpaupack. My times have changed things as I had heard from others that know the area. Silver Birches is still there and I believe still has some family involvement. Never know too much about Spinnler's other than we used to start trolling for Pike off the point. Spent most of our time tucked in at Pep's. Up until I was approx. 12 years old and Pep's passed out of Fred Singers ownership, we went there every summer. Ah the fond memories.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,085 times
My parents had cabin at Pep's Inn and Village from 1958 through 1975. When I was growing up, we spent most of our summers there. My father was there from April through October for the fishing season. Most of the cabin owners were from either the Souderton-Telford area or the Norristown area. Great memories from my growing up. A great number of the nice places are no longer there, Pep's, White Beauty View, etc. The Lake was quite a bit less crowded in those days. I do know that the Lake Wallenpaupack Yacht Club is still there.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
Well, my folks had a cabin at Pep's as well. Many years were spent up at the lake each summer. I worked there for one summer pumping gas, renting boats, and selling bait. It has great memories of first girl friends, great summers, and a much simpler time..... Would love to connect with some of the folks I used to know.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
Reading these inquiries about Peps Inn & Village, from memories during a simpler time, brings me back there and warms my heart. I spent my childhood there, no I really did, I’m Peps grandson. My grandparents started Peps Inn in 1926, when Lake Wallenpaupack was created for hydroelectric power.
This unassuming hunting and fishing camp evolved into the Peps that you so fondly remember. Pep
was one of a kind, a tough, competitive, larger than life frontiersman who held woodchopping records in The United States and Canada. If Pep was the figurehead of the business , My grandmother Beth was an excellent businesswoman and was renown for the large variety of pies she baked and her cinnamon rolls. My father Bruce and uncle JR took over the business in the late 40’s and sold the business in 1969. I was over at Peps almost every day when I would ride my bike there before I was old enough to work. It didn’t take long, I worked in the kitchen, grocery store, snack bar, marina renting boats, selling bait or pumping gas on the boat dock

Old 02-21-2021, 04:22 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Where was that in tafton ? We were in tafton from 2007 to 2012 so I know the area .obviously it was already gone by then

Old 02-21-2021, 08:16 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Where was that in tafton ? We were in tafton from 2007 to 2012 so I know the area .obviously it was already gone by then
This PDF talks about the place and its location:

http://www.wallenpaupackhistorical.o...er/2016-07.pdf

Amazon has a post card for sale of the place:

https://www.amazon.com/Peps-Inn-Vill.../dp/B07FY85DCH

Wallenpaupack Historical Society:

http://www.wallenpaupackhistorical.org/index.htm

Last edited by DavidWebb; 02-21-2021 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Thanks , now I know where it was .it was by the marina on 507

Old 05-26-2021, 05:26 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
My wife was part of a group of girls who went to the same state college and all had summer jobs at White Beauty, in the late 1970s. It's amazing to see how entire operations like that are simply gone now. I grew up with a best friend who's grand dad was a big player in real estate in the Poconos and NEPA, from the depression through the 1960s. He bought huge tracts of land for as little as $7.50 an acre. Shortly after the lake was flooded he was offered eleven acres of waterfront on 507, an entire cove, for a couple of hundred bucks. At that point it took 5+ hours to drive from his home in the Lehigh Valley, to the lake. It was a rough trip over narrow, slow roads. He didn't see the potential, and passed up on the deal. He later called it the biggest mistake he made in real estate investing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania